The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mount Fuji Active … 📸

k-hawinkler

Thanks, K-H. It remains to be seen if the GFX-50S and GF250+1.4xTX can beat your A9 and 400/2.8 ... :)

The 120/4 is also a fine lens, but not a true macro lens IMO as it does only 1:2, but a 45mm extension tube will take it to 1:1.
I was hoping Louis Berk (aka biglouis) would post his images with exactly this setup, whether in this thread or in the "Fun with MF images", but AFAIK nothing yet.
Really looking forward to his results.

That GFX-100 surely will be quite a beast, both in terms of size and price.
For now I'm more than happy with my pitiful 50MP ...

All the best.

Many thanks Bart.

IMHO those two system, Fuji and Sony, are complementary and excel in different areas. Fuji for stationary or slowly moving subjects, Sony for fast action.

BTW, which shutter type are you using? I am reading through the DPReview review of the GFX 50S and they are pointing some focusing issues. TIA. :grin:

What about manual focusing? Is there magnification and focus peaking? TIA.

iiiNelson

Many thanks Bart.

IMHO those two system, Fuji and Sony, are complementary and excel in different areas. Fuji for stationary or slowly moving subjects, Sony for fast action.

BTW, which shutter type are you using? I am reading through the DPReview review of the GFX 50S and they are pointing some focusing issues. TIA. :grin:

I agree and depending on the end result of the Lumix S cameras I feel the same way that these are companies putting out the most exciting (IMO) cameras.

The GFX is CDAF so provided there’s just enough light hitting on your subject or enough contrast in the scene for the subject to be discerned it focuses relatively quick and accurately. It’s not the lowlight beast that is use for receptions or events personally but in excellent to moderate light (base to ISO 1600 or 3200 for instance) I think it should do perfectly fine in my limited experience with the GFX.

Oh and yes there’s magnification and peaking. I think those are pretty common features in pretty much every Mirrorless camera now. Both work relatively well from what I could tell from my tests.

Knorp

Many thanks Bart.

Yep, that sums it up precisely.

I've been using only AFS-S and EF (E-Front Curtain Shutter).

Yep, there is Zoom (2.5x,4x,8x,16.7x) and Focus peaking (white,red,blue).

:clap:

Krgds

PeterA

Why would anyone want to compare a MF system to a small format system - seriously ....everything is larger and slower on the GFX - just as it is with every other larger than 35mm chipped camera- sports on a GFX is a fail - well blow me down!

iiiNelson

Why would anyone want to compare a MF system to a small format system - seriously ....everything is larger and slower on the GFX - just as it is with every other larger than 35mm chipped camera- sports on a GFX is a fail - well blow me down!
I think it’s human nature to compare where MF is with where smaller formats are since pricing is becoming less of a barrier for MF entry.

I agree they’re different cameras and uses but that may not always be the case as technology advances. This isn’t to say that smaller formats are infringing into the areas where MF dominated (I think back to all the claims of high megapixel 35mm FF and how they’ll end MF) but rather that MF will begin to once again infringe into traditional areas where smaller format recently ruled with the advent of digital cameras due to Mirrorless technology shrinking the size and increasing the capabilities of MF. For instance the GFX100S is supposed to be able to shoot at up to 6FPS... for comparison the 5D shoots at 7fps. Once the medium format side continues to mature and bring traditional features that we expect from smaller format cameras (like PDAF/CDAF based Autofocus that cover most of the sensor, increased camera speed, faster readouts, reduction to the barriers of working with a “slower” camera, usuable video/video codecs, etc.) we may very well see previosuly unintended usage of the sensor size in newer ways. We are already seeing this in video applications in movies like Dunkirk and The Revenant thatwere filmed in larger formats... the 4k30 in the GFX100 will present the pro user some differentiation from the average YouTube or content creator that’s using say a GH5, Fuji X, Sony FE, or an 80D.

Again... all my opinion but I think the possibilities that come with larger sensors and the fast track to the maturation of them since moving to CMOS technology is why people will compare.

Thorkil

Well Thorkil and you have to promise to keep this to yourself and tell nobody else, but actually I'm a lazy and lousy image editor ... :eek:

I'm shooting RAW (Uncompressed) + JPEG (SuperFine - Small 4000x3000): the RAWs are about 115-118MB and the JPEGs about 4-8MB.
And yes it eats hard drive space ... :facesmack:

Kind regards.
Bart, even though I allow myself thinking that you are quite reluctant in relation to your care of/around your pictures :eek: (you are using C1, right? (the new Fuji-Pro-version?), and any further workflow-tricks?)
You made a link of a jpeg of around 70Mb, is this the size of the largest jpegs?
(well, my own status for today is: I just can't skip the thoughts on a GFX totally (and now it will solely be the 50R, just to try to hide in the crowd in the street - and the Z7 or 6 just have to be there too - sigh..), even though it will be my pension I'll be using then,
so it will be hard to tell my wife the truth, when we haven't got enough for proper food in the future..:shocked:)(do you know of a safe cure?)
KR

k-hawinkler

Great points Tre. Much appreciated. Thanks.
I can see benefit from MFT, APS-C, FF, and MF for the things to shoot that interest me. IMHO one size doesn’t fit all. :grin:

Wouldn’t that be something to shoot a Hummingbird in Flight with the GFX 100S. :facesmack:

k-hawinkler

Yep, that sums it up precisely.

I've been using only AFS-S and EF (E-Front Curtain Shutter).

Yep, there is Zoom (2.5x,4x,8x,16.7x) and Focus peaking (white,red,blue).

:clap:

Krgds

Many thanks Bart for the info. Much appreciated.

How do you assess the native lenses you have experience with, and also the others you have not tried yet? :salute:

iiiNelson

Great points Tre. Much appreciated. Thanks.
I can see benefit from MFT, APS-C, FF, and MF for the things to shoot that interest me. IMHO one size doesn’t fit all. :grin:

Wouldn’t that be something to shoot a Hummingbird in Flight with the GFX 100S. :facesmack:
Yeah that would be something and I believe those days are coming to where technical capability will not be the limiting factor for any camera. It’ll come down to what you prefer to shoot with... on some level we are already “there” but I do think the cameras will get there in time in terms of the “automation” of the camera itself as well. I know the automation term scares photographers in terms of simplicity/connection to the camera but it is coming (whether we like it or not) specifically to not lose too much ground to cell phones.

Like you, I see the benefit of various sensor sizes and how they compliment each other.

Last edited:

Knorp

Bart, even though I allow myself thinking that you are quite reluctant in relation to your care of/around your pictures :eek: (you are using C1, right? (the new Fuji-Pro-version?), and any further workflow-tricks?)
You made a link of a jpeg of around 70Mb, is this the size of the largest jpegs?
(well, my own status for today is: I just can't skip the thoughts on a GFX totally (and now it will solely be the 50R, just to try to hide in the crowd in the street - and the Z7 or 6 just have to be there too - sigh..), even though it will be my pension I'll be using then,
so it will be hard to tell my wife the truth, when we haven't got enough for proper food in the future..:shocked:)(do you know of a safe cure?)
KR
I'm using the general version of Capture One Pro and embarrassingly enough using only a fraction of its features ... :eek:
That 70MB JPEG was the full size version (8256x6192) for K-H, but otherwise I'm shooting SuperFine - Small 4000x3000 JPEGs.

Trying to hide that 50R from the crowd in the street will be quite a challenge, better bring your Z. Just saying ... :rolleyes:

But a safe cure from G.A.S. ? Is that possible at all ? You still believe in H.C.'s fairy tales ?

Perhaps when the 100S is G.A., the 50R will become available S/H ?
Come to think of it: this could well be the best strategy in keeping food on the table and easing the shock to your wife ... :clap:

Knorp

How do you assess the native lenses you have experience with, and also the others you have not tried yet? :salute:
Pffff ! Questions, questions, questions !
Do remind me tomorrow, will you ?
I'm off to bed now.
Nighty-night.

:sleep: :sleep: :sleep:

PeterA

FWIW : I can't summarise in words more concise than what was posted by Mr Lovegrove in the review pointed to in above link - to quote him which mirrors my experience with 23/35-63 zoom/110 and 120 so far:

GFX lenses are flat field meaning if you point one at a brick wall 2 metres away and set it wide open focussed at 2m it will create a sharp shot edge to edge and corner to corner even though the corners of the frame may be 3m from the lens. The focussing distance changes as you the pan away from centre. That’s why a focus and reframe system of focussing doesn’t work with GFX unless the lens is stopped down somewhat. Incidentally it’s also one of the main reason SLR users tend to get back focus issues. With an SLR, only the near centre focussing areas are sensitive and accurate due to the way the prism operates. With the Fujifilm GFX system all the focus zones are as sensitive as each other even right into the corners and that is why focusing errors are a thing of the past.

For composed thought through shooting the GFX lenses do not lose ground to any other lens manufacturer in MF. Again - these systems can be used for snapshots but show themeselves at their best when a photographer actually is takes time to make a shot.

k-hawinkler

Pffff ! Questions, questions, questions !
Do remind me tomorrow, will you ?
I'm off to bed now.
Nighty-night.

:sleep: :sleep: :sleep:
Sleep well Bart! :thumbs: :sleep: :)

Fuji GFX 50S • GF120mmF4 R LM OIS WR Macro • ISO 320 • f/22 • 1/60 s • Handheld OIS=ON :grin: :salute:

k-hawinkler

FWIW : I can't summarise in words more concise than what was posted by Mr Lovegrove in the review pointed to in above link - to quote him which mirrors my experience with 23/35-63 zoom/110 and 120 so far:

GFX lenses are flat field meaning if you point one at a brick wall 2 metres away and set it wide open focussed at 2m it will create a sharp shot edge to edge and corner to corner even though the corners of the frame may be 3m from the lens. The focussing distance changes as you the pan away from centre. That’s why a focus and reframe system of focussing doesn’t work with GFX unless the lens is stopped down somewhat. Incidentally it’s also one of the main reason SLR users tend to get back focus issues. With an SLR, only the near centre focussing areas are sensitive and accurate due to the way the prism operates. With the Fujifilm GFX system all the focus zones are as sensitive as each other even right into the corners and that is why focusing errors are a thing of the past.

For composed thought through shooting the GFX lenses do not lose ground to any other lens manufacturer in MF. Again - these systems can be used for snapshots but show themeselves at their best when a photographer actually is takes time to make a shot.

Thanks Peter. That seems excellent advice! :thumbs:

Fuji GFX 50S • GF120mmF4 R LM OIS WR Macro • ISO 100 • f/4 • 1/1100 s • Handheld OIS=ON

Thorkil

I'm using the general version of Capture One Pro and embarrassingly enough using only a fraction of its features ... :eek:
That 70MB JPEG was the full size version (8256x6192) for K-H, but otherwise I'm shooting SuperFine - Small 4000x3000 JPEGs.

Trying to hide that 50R from the crowd in the street will be quite a challenge, better bring your Z. Just saying ... :rolleyes:

But a safe cure from G.A.S. ? Is that possible at all ? You still believe in H.C.'s fairy tales ?

Perhaps when the 100S is G.A., the 50R will become available S/H ?
Come to think of it: this could well be the best strategy in keeping food on the table and easing the shock to your wife ... :clap:
:eek:, yes one ought to wait a long time to get it secondhand, but my mind, most of the time, ain't constructed that way, so starvation might become a tempting offer :D
And the thoughts of street and casual with the 50R are really triggering me...
well, time will solve the headache...:rolleyes: