Site Sponsors

Thread: Fujifilm X100V

Post Thanks / Like

Fujifilm X100V

This beast of a camera was announced on February 4th 2020 and I cannot believe that there is so less interest here .....

so at least a funny video about it and it's use

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=av5zG_YnBXY

Well, for me this fifth iteration of the X100 seems to tick all the boxes I want and was waiting for. I am very intrigued by this camera finally - while the original X100 was far too slow for me and also the successors left many wishes open for me, this X100V finally represents almost 98% of what I want from an everyday, always with me camera. I could even see myself taking it as the only camera with me for my next big vacation - of course where I will not do sports or wildlife shooting or safari etc., but even then it would be a great complement to whatever main camera I am using.

I especially really like the Fujifilm attitude lately and how they design their cameras brave with their hearts and also lot of brain and know how.

At least a clear thumbs up from me on this camera
    Life is an ever changing journey
    http://photography.tomsu.eu/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/peter_...tography/sets/
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fujifilm X100V

Indeed, it is a great looking camera. Were I in the market, I'd be interested. Especially as the Dpreview tests show that the sharpness of the new lens formula is very much improved.

I have higher priorities to spend my money on and also I prefer the 28mm fov from the GRIII.

One thing that might have convinced me would be if they had included twin card slots. It would be ideal for reportage but with a single slot there is always that nagging concern about card failure. I do use the GRIII but only as a backup/adjunct to what I am doing, not as a main camera.

Just my two cents

LouisB

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I wouldn't mind having one, but it's not on the top of my list. Here's the video that Fuji pulled. I don't know what to say about his approach, but the images are great:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wy2YzUvHDq0

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have a X100F and take it almost everywhere with me. It is incredibly useful. For a fixed lens travel camera, the focal length is perfect for me.

Being the camera tart that I am, I have already placed an order for the X100V
    Quentin Bargate
    CEO of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2019, ”leading individual”, Chambers HNW guide, 2019, Photographer
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    I wouldn't mind having one, but it's not on the top of my list. Here's the video that Fuji pulled. I don't know what to say about his approach, but the images are great:

I'm surprised he has all his front teeth

Having said that, the camera is a street shooter and I wish I had the [email protected] to do that.

LouisB
    -----
    "My photography books", Flickr Stream
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I had the original X100 which I quite enjoyed until the lens issue (which lost me some good pics from Paris) and destroyed my confidence in it. I have been looking at some of the files from it and they are rather nice, so much so that I am toying with the idea of maybe this new version or more probably the F version.
    Regards, Alan.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nice camera, very nice Youtube clip, however after viewing that clip, it's clear to me that this is not the camera for me...I cannot shake my arse the way the girl in the clip can. Clearly you need to be able to do that to own this camera

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    This beast of a camera was announced on February 4th 2020 and I cannot believe that there is so less interest here .....

so at least a funny video about it and it's use

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=av5zG_YnBXY

Well, for me this fifth iteration of the X100 seems to tick all the boxes I want and was waiting for. I am very intrigued by this camera finally - while the original X100 was far too slow for me and also the successors left many wishes open for me, this X100V finally represents almost 98% of what I want from an everyday, always with me camera. I could even see myself taking it as the only camera with me for my next big vacation - of course where I will not do sports or wildlife shooting or safari etc., but even then it would be a great complement to whatever main camera I am using.

I especially really like the Fujifilm attitude lately and how they design their cameras brave with their hearts and also lot of brain and know how.

At least a clear thumbs up from me on this camera
    Instagram
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I would not work as he does, this is not what I am. And I am confident you can also get pretty nice shots being a bit less obtrusive.

Having said that the X100V seems pretty much what I want from an everyday P&S, even topping most requirements I have. I would have loved to see a PenF2 but unfortunately that does not happen anymore. So I need to look elsewhere and this camera is by far the next camera covering all I would have liked to cover with the PENF2 but just that bit more in every discipline. I do not even mind not having IBIS or IS in this type of camera because with my shooting style I will not need it for 35mm equivalent lens - never needed it so far in my life. And even some short video clips will work out fine without IS.

This video is Japanese but it again shows the proud people that designed that camera!

FUJIFILM X100V 宣傳影片 (120Sec.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqeahMB6ssA

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for starting the thread Peter,

The X100V is a definite buy for me. I enjoy the one camera one lens ideal and generally rely on the Ricoh GR for that. However I am lately wanting a VF of some kind, not sure if its age or lazy-ness but having grown up with film cameras and OVFs I guess old ways die hard. The add on OVF on the GR does help but I've had the original X100 and an X100T in the past and enjoy having that wonderful clear view and data in the VF. Also as a past Medium Format film user having a tilt screen WLF option on the X100V is now too good to pass up.

My biggest gripe right now is the crappy AU dollar so the X100V is quite stratospheric in price. My only question is not if I buy but when.

Cheers.
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Although I am heavily invested in Fuji, I am not a fanboy but it does fascinate me that the most innovative camera companies are the 'cinderellas' to Nikon and Canon, like Fuji, Panasonic, Olympus and Ricoh.

What has Nikon or Canon come up with recently which is in any way innovative?

Not wanting to start an argument but just a passing thought first thing in the morning :-)

LouisB

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Not my style to photograph street the way the guy in the video did/ ( does ). And obviously neither the way the lovely lady in the other video does!
    Having said that, this camera interests me. My 100S is still working fine but needs a bit of maintenance. The battery door is busted. Else not really much to complain about that.

But I am in no hurry.

Well done Fuji.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    Although I am heavily invested in Fuji, I am not a fanboy but it does fascinate me that the most innovative camera companies are the 'cinderellas' to Nikon and Canon, like Fuji, Panasonic, Olympus and Ricoh.

Not wanting to start an argument but just a passing thought first thing in the morning :-)

LouisB
    I tried to love Nikon again but so far with their current Z offerings I am still a bit skeptical if I would ever go back to them.

For Canon I have some hope when they will announce their next gen R bodies, as I am specifically interested in some RF lenses that as a lens I was always lusting for or already owned it in EF mount, like the beautiful 1.2/85. But then they still need to proof first they develop their R system before I jump into that.

Fuji currently ticks much more boxes for me, especially with the X100V and the X Pro3 and the soon to be announced X-T4 hopefully as well.

Hard to get back into Nikon and Canon again - actually I always said that already years ago when I left their DSLR systems.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post

LouisB
    I can be enthusiastic about a brand if they have "the goods". The Fujis deliver on ergonomics where the others not as good IMO. I'll slide to whoever works for me best and that includes price.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a used X-T3 in like new condition from mpb.com
    for $1159. The price for the X100V is $1399.

That leaves $240 to buy a lens and it CAN be done, Not only that but you're not stuck with just one lens. So I don't see the attraction

https://www.mpb.com/en-us/used-equip...series-lenses/

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by DougDolde View Post
    I bought a used X-T3 in like new condition from mpb.com
    for $1159. The price for the X100V is $1399.

That leaves $240 to buy a lens and it CAN be done, Not only that but you're not stuck with just one lens. So I don't see the attraction

https://www.mpb.com/en-us/used-equip...series-lenses/
    The allure of the XV like its predecessors is as about the hybrid viewfinder Doug - the closest thing that people can get to a real rangefinder from Leica - well close isnt the word I'd use more like a distant salute followed by a sigh....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    The allure of the XV like its predecessors is as about the hybrid viewfinder Doug - the closest thing that people can get to a real rangefinder from Leica - well close isnt the word I'd use more like a distant salute followed by a sigh....
    Not to forget the built in flash, leaf shutter and flash sync speed.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I use Leica Rangefinder cams.

And I bought into the Fuji xp and x100 systems because they gave me something Leica M lacked....autofocus.
    And of course the perceived value of a system eco..by me. I have a stable of M lenses.

So,as far as I am concerned, I don’t have a ‘ sigh ‘ so to speak. I buy and use what I like and can afford.
    And Leicas I can afford. But I have outgrown them. With affection.

I have not found Fuji lenses to be any less desirable than say Leica M lenses. More likely due to my untrained Leica eye. I am sure I can find 3D rendering or some mythical glow in all lenses n systems...I can see fairies dancing on pin heads or virgins in an OVF. If I look hard enough.

Each system has its ardent users. Some look beyond brands and look for utility for their use.
    The Fuji X100 series is a very viable camera for me.
    Not least coz I don’t think it is only for wannabe Leica lust.
    koffee & kamera

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rayyan View Post
    I use Leica Rangefinder cams.

And I bought into the Fuji xp and x100 systems because they gave me something Leica M lacked....autofocus.
    And of course the perceived value of a system eco..by me. I have a stable of M lenses.

So,as far as I am concerned, I don’t have a ‘ sigh ‘ so to speak. I buy and use what I like and can afford.
    And Leicas I can afford. But I have outgrown them. With affection.

I have not found Fuji lenses to be any less desirable than say Leica M lenses. More likely due to my untrained Leica eye. I am sure I can find 3D rendering or some mythical glow in all lenses n systems...I can see fairies dancing on pin heads or virgins in an OVF. If I look hard enough.

Each system has its ardent users. Some look beyond brands and look for utility for their use.
    The Fuji X100 series is a very viable camera for me.
    Not least coz I don’t think it is only for wannabe Leica lust.
    Thanks for the clear annunciation of your feelings, experiences accumulated wisdoms and anecdotes - after reading this - I'll have to investigate Fuji cameras and see if they have anything worthwhile on offer to add to my kit.

All the best
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    I have bought an x100f one year ago. The complete package is what attracts me. Leaf shutter for fast flash sync, built-in flash, a viewfinder which lets me see around the frame, a compact lens, excellent IQ and good AF, ready fast start time, film simulations if this is your thing. Kind of the Swiss Army Knife for street and travel light. Also great second camera if your first one is something large and complicated. The viewfinder is great - even on the F.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DougDolde View Post
    ... Not only that but you're not stuck with just one lens. So I don't see the attraction
    With the wide or tele conversion lenses, technically you have 3 focal lengths.

I had the X100F and sold it a year ago anticipating the V. Since picked up a used Sony RX100 VI and as much as I like the size, versatile zoom range and images, really don't like the experience.
    Considering the X100V to accompany my X-T2, which is still a really nice camera. The only thing the XT-4 could do to entice me to upgrade is substantially more megapixels; I like to print large.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn’t mind having one but my issue with the X100 line has always been the price. If it were around $800 or so I’d snatch one up in a minute. For $1400 I’d rather buy a lens or lenses of an existing system camera I own. It would never be more of an auxiliary or side camera for me and they’ve always cost more than I’m willing to spend on one. Just my opinion for my own uses though. Now that being said if Ricoh GR series weren’t a 28mm then I’d snatch one of those up as well... in either case they’re great cameras but I fail to see the complete value of them for me personally. I’ll look forward to the pictures that others take with them though.
    Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like

Apparently everybody forgot about hordes of other intrusive street photographers, like Garry Winogrand, or, let's say, Bruce Gilden. Latter was using flash right into people's faces

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qcgEnC3bLY
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RM9KcYEYXs
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkIWW6vwrvM

Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It makes me think. Firstly it's clear from Garry Winogrand's photos that MP don't matter a damn!! I couldn't photograph like those guys, but that doesn't matter a damn either

Quote Originally Posted by olegkin View Post
    Apparently everybody forgot about hordes of other intrusive street photographers, like Garry Winogrand, or, let's say, Bruce Gilden. Latter was using flash right into people's faces

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qcgEnC3bLY
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RM9KcYEYXs
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkIWW6vwrvM

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Really I should sell everything else and just shoot with a X100V. My life would be less cluttered! So would my mind. Retire the GFX100 to studio and tabletop work and use the X100V, which would replace my X100F, as a travel camera. I did that for a while with the Sigma DP2m and 1, such brilliant cameras, albeit deeply flawed.

The new X100V looks uncannily like a Leica to me, more so than its pedecessors. Anyone else notice the similarity?
    Quentin Bargate
    CEO of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2019, ”leading individual”, Chambers HNW guide, 2019, Photographer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin_Bargate View Post
    Really I should sell everything else and just shoot with a X100V. My life would be less cluttered! So would my mind. Retire the GFX100 to studio and tabletop work and use the X100V, which would replace my X100F, as a travel camera. I did that for a while with the Sigma DP2m and 1, such brilliant cameras, albeit deeply flawed.

The new X100V looks uncannily like a Leica to me, more so than its pedecessors. Anyone else notice the similarity?
    I exactly have the same thoughts since the X100V introduction.

I was photographing "Holiday on Ice" today in Vienna with my iPhon 10SMax and I really like the results. I just used the iPhone because easy to carry and simple and while the results are stunning for a phone they would have for sure been much better with the X100V.

Also thinking back to my last vacations where I carried an m43 camera with 2 zoom lenses, most of the really great shots did actually come from around 28-35mm equivalent focal length.

I am again and again coming to the conclusion that for casual and holiday photography the X100V would just be more than enough. This is why I will most probably order one. And use it as my main all around camera from then on.

WRT looking like Leica M - same feeling here, pretty close and with the additional advantage that it has AF and is still much cheaper while even having more resolution and above all a meanwhile excellent AF and AFC.

What is not to like about this camera ....
    Last edited by ptomsu; 1 Week Ago at 13:12.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin_Bargate View Post

Like Peter mentioned abobe this is exactly where I have been going. I had been like this for a while with the Ricoh GR series BUT the Ricoh is sometimes limited too much. I miss the VF either OVF or EVF but the X100V with that WLF option is just too much to pass up. I have used a GR on recent trips to Japan. I took a RX100 IV but it only got used once.

I've followed a lot of your DP2m work and it did work well for you.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The XPro cameras are a better answer to the single lens question for me anyway - which is why I was so disappointed in certain aspects of the latest incarnation of the XPro - disappointment that may have to be swallowed anyway - because as I replied to Doug's initial query, and as is evident in both XPro and X100V - you get the amenity of an optical viewfinder as well as an EVF. Nothing stopping anyone just using an excellent 23 or 35 from Fuji - and they are excellent lenses - as a single lens of choice, there is no rule which says one has to have multiple lenses if the camera has that facility is there?
    Last edited by PeterA; 1 Week Ago at 17:41.