The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IPad Discussions

ustein

Contributing Editor
Had my first trip with iPad only to NAB 2010 in Vegas. I had no plans to do any image processing in Vegas and all worked fine. The key is that it is easy to carry the iPad all day long without any problems. Would not liked to carry even a 13" MacBook that long. I used a small CradlePoint wiwi router in the hotel to convert ethernet from a cable modem to wifi. The CradlePoint is mainly used to convert my USB air card into a wifi signal. No need to use the air card this time.

Mail had some issues (got an error message) that was fixed after a re-boot.

D

DougDolde

Uwe, how long does the Cradlepoint keep its charge without an external power supply?

Terry

Right now I'm using the Apple case -

Pros:
It folds around in different ways to either make a slightly tilted elevation which makes typing on a flat table easier.
the other way to fold it is nice for watching movies on airplanes
easy access

Con: seems to collect lots of dust around the edges.

Has yours arrived?

mwalker

Subscriber Member
No not yet, have the 3Gs started to ship?....I thought there may be a better third party case out there. I did buy some of the apps.

Godfrey

Godfrey: It is wonderful for viewing photos, save for the fact that i still can't organize them in the order i want. I'll figure it out eventually, it is not intuitive that way. I load them double size - 2048 ppi on the long side, at 132 ppi, that way i can impress folks by using the finger movements to blow them up...... pdf's are easily viewed by GoodReader, although it looks like i will have to redesign to get rid of double-page spreads, as they get broken up into 2 pages. Unfortunately the ibookstore does not take pdf's. So if i make pdf's, then it is a kludge for folks to get them into the Ipad. Now E-pubs would be the holy grail, as it is supported by the ibookstore, as well as other online bookstores. Using Calibre to convert, made a mess of the files. and there are so many setting/variables you can play with, that it will take some time to see if epubs can be made to work with photo-books. There are a few epub photobooks up in Ibooks, yet they don't work quite right either. the best thing would be to make an app that could be used as a template, i have an idea for one, but i am not a software developer and don't have the big bucks to have one made right yet.

what have you found? I can email you the pdf of my magazine if you want.

-Josef
You're well ahead of me so far. I have been very busy and not had time to do much research yet.

I'd like to see your magazine PDF. I'll pop you an email you can send it to via a message or you can message me a URL I can download it from.

thanks!

Terry

Good news. My order status on the camera connection kit has changed to prepared for shipment. Perhaps I will have it later in the week. I'm interested to see what the software is like that ingests the pictures. So far I like Photogene for editing but I am hoping that Apple does a small iPhoto like App for the iPad. I really can't imagine the connrction kit without a communion App.

Also Mike,
I just got an email about this new case from Built NY but it doesn't seem to be the type you are looking for.

http://www.builtny.com/gadgets-ipad/neoprene-envelope-for-ipad.html

Finally, looks like the first batch of 3G's is now sold out and Apple is pushing back delivery dates into May (shipping by the 7th) for new orders. I got an email this AM confirming the late April date. Probably will ship the 30th LOL.

Last edited:

Diane B

Well, the fact that the 3G Ipads have been delayed gives me time to decide which way I'll go--and when. However, in the meantime, I thought I would try Line 2 on my Touch. Worked like a charm.

We are considering a trip to Newfoundland at some point and cell phones are a problem there (for most Americans without international plans) but this would be an option it appears.

stephengilbert

April 30 to be sure; and at the stores at 5:00 p.m. Why not 9:00 p.m.?

I guess the 5:00 time makes for better TV coverage. Be sure to dress nicely if you're going to stand in a line at your local Apple store.

Terry

What's been fun to watch play out over the last few days is the saga over the "lost" :rolleyes: iPhone 4G.

I would not want to be that systems engineer and have to stand in front of Steve to explain.