Site Sponsors

Thread: oops! #@%$&

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

oops! #@%$&

windows snafu:
    in cleaning up my computer, i some how buried/deleted my icon for internet explorer and cannot find the exe file anywhere to start the bugger up. got on this time by finding a link in Neatimage. once on, it works as before.

anyone know how to get back to what i had?

thanks

jm

Haya

Re: oops! #@%$&

Well has been a while since I used windows.... but its in the desktop properties... right click on the background of your desktop and it's somewhere in one of the tabs in the properties... i think its customize desktop... you'll see icons for My computer, Recycle bin, and internet explorer... sorry I cant be more helpful I don't have a windoze pc to go through and check it myself.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

IIRC (it's been 6 months since i used a PC) go to Start> as it might even be in your start-up folder already, or go Start>Programs then locate the IE icon. Right-click on it and copy it, then navigate to your desktop and right-click and paste.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

thanks
    i must have erased some higher level path. if i try the desktop trick, I can make my home page my desktop, not what i was after.
    if i search the start/programs or startup batch, there is nothing about internet explorer to be found.
    this happened when i was getting the warning message about my HD being too full, so i did a removel of rarely used programs and must have goofed. except IE will run if i click any url link.

must have passed over something, eh?

Haya

I'm pretty sure you can't delete Internet explorer without messing up your whole operating system..its there somewhere .. Wasn't there an advanced settings tab when u were poking around in the desktop properties?

Also have you tried firefox I would download and try it out .. I use it on my mac its faster and way more secure than Internet explorer!

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

haya:
    i found the desktop area, there was no option to choose an internet icon. in the custom settings area, you could choose your internet homepage, but only as a "desktop"
    perplexing. i expected i could find the IE.exe file somewhere and drag a shortcut of that to the desktop, but the .exe seems to be hiding.

thanks,

now i'm at home on macbook pro, and, boy, on that i am really a novice.

i'll look at firefox; i already use thunderbird for email

jm

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Have you tried System Restore?
    explorer.exe should be in C:\Windows
    You could try Control Panel > Add/remove programs to see if it's really gone
    Sláinte

Robert.

Post Thanks / Like

Quick test to see if it is just the missing icon, or the file is gone would be:

1) Click Start
    2) Select Run
    3) Type iexplore and the press enter

If Internet Explorer starts then you have it installed. From there you use a number of different routes to restore the icon to the desktop.
    -- M.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

thanks people, i will try that tomorrow, so far am using Mozilla for a change

jm