Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: RAID Storage ideas

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: RAID Storage ideas

No, I will not lose my work. After each shoot, I run two backups: one to the online backup disk and one to the portable, both before i format or re-use the memory cards. That takes me less than a minute to initialize.

Probably nothing wrong with RAID, but after having worked with computers since the early seventies, 20 of those years as my main profession, I have learned to appreciate simple standards, where I have control, not the computer. If 5 billion people mean otherwise, I don't care. My system works for me.
    Last edited by Jorgen Udvang; 4th June 2011 at 08:40.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I chose a RAID-0 copied to another R-0 for my onsite back-up precisely so I'd be certain to know immediately if any single disk in either array failed. I have heard horror stories where a single drive in a JBOD back-up failed and it was never discovered until it was needed for a rebuild, and of course then it was too late. My offsite array is JBOD, and so I check it completely every time I write new data to it to make sure all disks are available.

Anybody doing a RAID-5 for back-up as their only solution, should store an IDENTICAL RAID-5 box and controller AND a host of the exact same drives for both units as that is the only way to insure recovery if any part of the original array fails. And of course the second you price that out, you will find that simple boxes doing mirrored RAID-0's or RAID-0 to JBOD are way cheaper, very fast and very secure when used IN TOTAL.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by narikin View Post
    So the scaremongers here have convinced you that 99% of the world, and hundreds of thousands of users over decades are also wrong, and that Raid 5 is dangerous. This is just plain risky, but it is your work and your right to ignore the happy majority, and the entire data storage industry, who say otherwise. It is not complicated it is same or cheaper than your setup, faster and safer, assuming you complement it with a good backup regime. (like you have already)?
    Statistics and references please. Or are you just pulling those numbers out of your hat? How many RAID5 users have given up on RAID5 over the years because of multiple failure risks? Without the full picture "hundreds of thousands" is just an arbitrary number.

Because of RAID5 evangelists like you convincing me that RAID5 is a good idea, I lost data a few years ago. I had a proper RAID5 set up, one disk failed, card wouldn't accept a new drive, replacement card was not available for purchase, and while I was pulling vital data off to another storage another drive in the array failed.

This cost me irreplaceable images. So please stop repeating that "RAID5 is safe" crap. If you want to be blind to risk, fine, but please don't spread that opinion to others in an unreserved fashion.
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry I am late to this, but no RAID system is a substitute for back ups, in separate Hd's. Losing data because a Raid failed and there is no other backup copy is not good, but is avoidable. Here is what I do: i have two computers in two different locations. The photos are separated into current and archive drives. The drives are synched to a Wiebe tough tech portable RAID (2 750g 2 1/2 inch 7200 rpm drives). Then the Wiebe is synched to the second computer (Chronosync). I end up with 3 copies, 2 in different physical locations and one portable. There is obviously for now a 750G limitation but this works for me. Ymmv.
    Alan

Selection of work: http://weinschela.zenfolio.com

Post Thanks / Like

My RAID (OWC) has a noisy fan).
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have three LaCie external drives of varying capacity.All have failed within the last year-all have been replaced after going through agonizing communication with the vendor. Fortunately, I back up three times after every shoot, and have not lost any images permanently. My question to this group is what about ICloud? Is anyone planning on depending on that source when it becomes available?

Stanley

Post Thanks / Like

>Is anyone planning on depending on that source when it becomes available?

1. Not saure how safe it is
    2. Uploading 20GB will be a pain
    3. Cost of 500GB or more?

Not at this time.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

Post Thanks / Like

The OP in this thread if my memory is correct, was looking for a solution for MF. At today's technology and today's prices, the cloud does not seem to offer a solution. Uploading gigabytes is too sloooow, and storage for hundreds of gigabytes will not be free. Some cloud services like Sugarsync (highly recommended by the way for documents) already will store jpgs from phones automatically. But that is very different from giga or terabytes of raw files from MF or other larg(er) sensors.
    Alan

Selection of work: http://weinschela.zenfolio.com