Site Sponsors

Thread: Drobo Help

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Drobo Help

Looks like i have a flashing Red light on disk 3. Looks like I may have a hard drive failure. Just replace it and toss out the bad drive. Advice please. I will most likely take the Drobo offline until I get a new drive, is this okay to do.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Drobo Help

Guy, all you need to do is pull the bad drive and insert a replacement. First thing to try is popping it out then back in. If it's bad, it will flash red agin after a few minutes. If it's good, it will go yellow to tell you it's rebuilding. Sometimes if the DROBO gets bumped a drive will jostle just enough to appear scrambled when in fact nothing is wrong, why I recommend the popping out and back in. I had this happen a few times with Samsung drives, but never Seagates or WD's. You do not need to take the DROBO offline to do this --- jut pop the bad drive, wait 30 seconds and pop it back in.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well I had a 500gb drive sitting around so I replaced it . Now it may take several hours to at least get everything back in order. i ordered a 2TB drive but won't get here until maybe Monday. So I guess i can pull the 500gb and replace the 2gb than. I will check with you when that comes in. I will just leave the computer on all night and let it build back up. This stuff makes me nervous. LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

BTW Jack this was a older Maxtor 1tb drive that went south not my new Seagates. Good sign I can here the drives churning, just have to wait it out

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like true plug and play. This is making me think as I have 4 WD 500GB drive now just sitting around looking for a new home. Is the Drobo PC friendly?
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes it is can work Firewire 800 or USB 2. http://www.drobo.com/index.php

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy, yes you can pull the 500 and replace it with the 2TB when it arrives -- piece of cake and you do not even need to take the DROBO offline.

Don, yes DROBO is really that plug and play friendly. But that ease of use and maintenance comes at a price -- and that price is relatively slow rebuild times since it has to manage different size and speed drives in a RAID environment, which in turn requires allowing the onboard logic to do its thing.
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Creek View Post
    Sounds like true plug and play. This is making me think as I have 4 WD 500GB drive now just sitting around looking for a new home. Is the Drobo PC friendly?
    It depends on how much storage you want, but I'd probably recommend picking up a Drobo pro if you can justify the money. iSCSI works over ethernet and it's much faster then a SAN box.

If you really want to keep your important data on it, it's got a feature I feel you should have. Double redundancy. Basically your data is still safe, even if two drives die. (It uses 2 drives for backup though, compared to 1 on the basic drobo). This means if a drive dies while the Drobo is upgrading to a larger drive or replacing an old one your data is still safe. You'd lose all of it on a normal Drobo. The chances are small, but make sure your important stuff is backed up someplace else.

Still, either box is nice.
    Charles - flickr

Subscriber Member Georg Baumann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Crossing Fingers Guy!

Charles, If memory serves OSX does not support iSCSI so this might be only an option for MS users.

P.S. Just found it on Drobo's site:
    However, OS X does not natively contain iSCSI support. Thus, Drobo Dashboard includes the necessary iSCSI software initiator for OS X—free of charge.

ddk

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Looks like i have a flashing Red light on disk 3. Looks like I may have a hard drive failure. Just replace it and toss out the bad drive. Advice please. I will most likely take the Drobo offline until I get a new drive, is this okay to do.
    What was the error message that you got?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Replace drive 3. Hard drive failure. I put in a 500gb last night that I had sitting around at about 11 pm , it's 5 am here and it is still working to get everything squared up again. Hopefully soon I will get all green. Right now the three good drives are flashing green/yellow but no light on drive 3 and I think that won't come on until it is all squared up.

ddk

Replace drive 3. Hard drive failure. I put in a 500gb last night that I had sitting around at about 11 pm , it's 5 am here and it is still working to get everything squared up again. Hopefully soon I will get all green. Right now the three good drives are flashing green/yellow but no light on drive 3 and I think that won't come on until it is all squared up.
    I've had bad luck with Maxtors too, I always replaced them with Seagates or IBMs when they used to have them, if they came with my computers.

The Dashboard should tell you how much longer to go with the rebuild, last time I replaced a drive it took a couple of days, good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks David seems to be my case , taking forever.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I would not be worried about the lengthy time, I imagine it does a verify during the process which doubles the time required, but gives you security. Just a guess....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Georg my nervous twitch is not stopping though until I see all green. NO patience at all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If you understand the complex storage strategy required for RAID-5 to work -- basically it is a structure of number of drives N x (N-1) matrix mathematics at the bit level -- then you start to understand what is going on and why Drobo takes longer to rebuild across an uneven array of drives than a dedicated RAID box takes to rebuild across an array of identical drives.

Bottom line is Drobo is a BACK-UP, the data is still there residing on it, AND it remains fully accessible during the rebuild! (Which BTW is NOT the case when most dedicated RAID arrays are rebuilding -- they are mostly offline during the rebuild.)
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm offline right now which is making me nervous but the drives are working it

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Have a double vodka and leave the room. come cack in 10 minutes, if still red.... have another double..... come back after 10 minutes....

....continue procedure for 3 hours....

You will sleep nice and without worries!

P.S.

If you start seeing 6 green and 2 red lights, stop procedure and go to sleep right away.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay update called customer support got a very nice lady on the phone and basically i wasted about 12 hours of time , when I put the new 3rd drive in to replace I did not put the Drobo on standby so the red light never came on. So basically the Drobo got confused on what I did . Now after customer support and doing some unpluging the firewire and power all four drives are flashing green and yellow so the data is being moved around like it is supposed to. What I was getting was only the 3 drives going yellow and green flashing. So now all seems to be well and just have to wait it out for all to get back to normal and all turn green again.

I did ask about pulling the 500gb drive when the new 2TB drive comes next week. No problem just put in standby and switch them out and it should do what is going on now and get all stable again. This turns out more my fault by not puttting it in standby than the Drobo itself which is reassuring. Better in this case me being the idiot than the Drobo.

Time to start drinking

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Looking at the controls i have about 40 minutes until all green again. My heart is still in standby

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Remember to keep breathing - you will master the Drobo
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm all green now. Wish my pocket was . LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Georg Baumann View Post
    Crossing Fingers Guy!

Charles, If memory serves OSX does not support iSCSI so this might be only an option for MS users.

P.S. Just found it on Drobo's site:
    Ah, thanks for that information. I knew iSCSI could be used on OSX, but I didn't realize you needed to use a 3rd party app to get it. I hope they fix that with snow leopard.
    Charles - flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mission accomplished!

I'm all green now. Wish my pocket was . LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You're welcome.

Not sure about that, I have not read the pre specs of snow leo yet.

Quote Originally Posted by cjlacz View Post
    Ah, thanks for that information. I knew iSCSI could be used on OSX, but I didn't realize you needed to use a 3rd party app to get it. I hope they fix that with snow leopard.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay my 2TB drive showed up put the Drobo in standby until all lights out. Swapped the 500gb drive for the 2TB drive than rebooted computer took a little bit to get the Drobo back on line and now looks like 28 hours to complete the backup task. Pretty darn interesting this whole backup setup.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Whoops make that 16 hours

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

outa curiousity, what 2Tb drive did you get?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yeah, I am contemplating to build a drobo with them starting with three.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Okay I've just spent the better part of 1/2 hour visiting the Drobo website reading and viewing the nifty videos and admit I'm impressed. I remember seeing the original Drobo at a tradeshow in Las Vegas as part of NAAP back when it only supported USB.

I've read all the FAQ's and nowhere could I find this - Do they support 64bit? I feel confident the system will work however I'd like to be able to run the dashboard and read on B&H that it might not be supported.

I've sent an email to sales however hard telling how long it'll take to hear from them. So I pose the same question here knowing that Guy and Jack are running on Mac's. Anyone here with direct PC experience?

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Oxide Blu

I did ask about pulling the 500gb drive when the new 2TB drive comes next week. No problem just put in standby and switch them out and it should do what is going on now and get all stable again.
    When you swap the 500GB for the 2T drive, do you have to prep the 2T drive (format) or just pop it in and Drobo takes care of everything?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Pretty interesting the Drobo formatted it. I just popped it in. Thought about the same thing. BTW I am all green and running. So interesting stat here. I have a total of 5tb in the box . Here is the breakdown. Storage capacity 2.69 TB total, 1.40 used up with data , Free space 1.29.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Now as I go forward I will just add 3 more 2 TB drives one by one until I run out of space and by than we may see 4tb drives and start over with them. So a lot of room to grow. Plus worst case you can just add a second Drobo or go Drobo Pro with 8 drives. Pretty slick. Nice part is it is you do very little.

The one issue I have and this has nothing to do with Drobo is about 8 old IDE drives that have very old data just sitting in a cabinet when I had a PC. Someday I may want to capture that on one unit like the Drobo. Going to be a Royal PITA

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy,

in terms of file management.... do you access data browser based? - How do you manage multiple computers? Just have a folder structure comp1, comp2, comp3 etc. and from there on drobo knows where to backup?

Drobo Pro has a pretty steep price here, buys something like five normal drobos.

I am confused about their ethernet option drobo share. You are not getting 1Gb speed at the end, right?

Eight drives from PC, hmmm, here is where Lightroom might come in handy as well. But I think you are using C1 exclusively right? How about a docking station Voyager or something and take two at a time, transferring over to your drobo, or would that exceed your space?

ddk

Guy,

in terms of file management.... do you access data browser based? - How do you manage multiple computers? Just have a folder structure comp1, comp2, comp3 etc. and from there on drobo knows where to backup?
    I'm not really clear what your question is exactly, but the drobo mounts on your desktop like any other external drive. You can connect it to it with its own software called drobo dashboard, how you set up your file structure is entirely up to you. Drobo doesn't come with backup software, you need to use your own and set it up according to your needs.

Drobo Pro has a pretty steep price here, buys something like five normal drobos.

I am confused about their ethernet option drobo share. You are not getting 1Gb speed at the end, right?
    Definitely not, and even if you were with "drobo share" you'd lose all benefit since it connects with USB to the dorobo unit, and then there the slow write times...IMO Drobo's are for backup and not working off of.
    Last edited by ddk; 4th July 2009 at 09:49.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Understood, just checked out that dashboard thingy. Thanks

ddk

Understood, just checked out that dashboard thingy. Thanks
    One more thing that you should be aware of Georg, since you mentioned price is that drobo has an annual service fee, otherwise you'll be locked out from future firmware upgrades and bug repairs, unless you pay of course and there's a penalty for being late with your payment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hmmm David I did not know about any fee's . Never was mentioned when registering.

Anyway mine is connected Firewire 800 and than I made three folders inside to separate visually my data. It just acts like a big drive. When I need something I will download to the desktop and work from there. It's actually not too slow but as David said treat it as a backup

ddk

Hmmm David I did not know about any fee's . Never was mentioned when registering.
    That's exactly why I was pissed when I found out about it, you're covered for the first year but after that you need to pay. I was an early adopter and it came with a boatload of bugs, and when I found at that it would cost me more to keep it running, well...its called drobocare;

http://www.drobo.com/support/drobocare.php

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

The way I read the DroboCare Overview is this is an extension of the original hardware warranty and has nothing to do with any future software & firmware updates..

There's a section on the same page that specifically states
    You will receive Drobo Dashboard and bug fixes for the life of your Drobo products independent of DroboCare. You can always update to the latest Drobo Dashboard available by visiting Drobo support.
    So one does not affect the other as it is an offer to extend the original warranty to 36 months.

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

ddk

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Creek View Post
    The way I read the DroboCare Overview is this is an extension of the original hardware warranty and has nothing to do with any future software & firmware updates..

There's a section on the same page that specifically states

So one does not affect the other as it is an offer to extend the original warranty to 36 months.

Don
    You can't update firmware after the first year without paying their fees. I had that argument with them last year when there was a bug that the dashboard was reading drive capacity incorrectly.

Oxide Blu

Pretty interesting the Drobo formatted it. I just popped it in. Thought about the same thing.
    Thanks!