Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Question for MAC users: Lion today?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Question for MAC users: Lion today?

I understand Apple's newest version of OSX—Lion—is going on sale today (at least here in the U.S.) Are you planning on installing it right away or will you wait and see?

I haven't tracked this iteration's pre-release press enough to really know if there's a significant level of new "improvements". So even though I love to be early with this kind of thing, I'm feeling lazy and might wait a day or two.

Just curious how others think.

Thanks,
    Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question for MAC users: Lion today?

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Not a snowball's chance... Why would you? Whatever improvements there are won't change your life and even if there is a small chance (in my opinion the chance is actually fairly high) that you'll be affected by one of the X.0 release bugs then it won't be worth it!

Just wait a month or two. You'll get all the benefits and the chance of wasting time (or worse) with any bugs will be greatly mitigated.

http://www.captureintegration.com/20...ing-media-pro/

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
    Phase One Partner of the Year
    Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
    Newsletter | RSS Feed
    Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Masters Series Workshop:
    New England Landscape - Fall Color (Oct 5-8)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

And in addition to possible bugs, there's the question of whether your applications will be supported.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What's the new feature you really need? I don't see anything that warrants an immediate upgrade. Think I'll stick with Snow Leopard for quite a while. Maybe I'll upgrade my Air at some point just to experience the App Store upgrade process.

-Thomas

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I agree. It's hard to risk the stability I have with Snow for the fairly light embellishments Lion is offering. I haven't seen anything listed that tells me I "have to have it". Like speed improvements or an app that magically restores the color to my (now) grey hair. Either one of which would make it a "must have".

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll buy and install within a couple of days onto my external startup drive for testing. That drive mirrors the internal startup drive on my system so I can then determine what if anything I have to worry about without compromising my current system and workflow needs until I have it well characterized with respect to display calibration, printer and software dependencies.

I connect the external drive via FireWire 800 so the performance is slightly down from the internal drive, but I've not found that to be a significant issue for testing and calibration.

If it works out well for a few weeks, I'll then install on the internal drive.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm downloading it now on a non critical laptop. I figure if there are issues I have two other readily accessible machines so I won't be dead. It is a very long download so I think that new data center in North Carolina will be getting quite a workout today.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post

I'll buy and install within a couple of days onto my external startup drive for testing.

I'm going to hold off for a while because I'm a software developer and use my machine all day every day (hopefully one of the co-workers will jump and take the risk for me ).

Please let us know what you find out, Godfrey.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Installing now. How will bugs be discovered if no one installs?

Post Thanks / Like

I installed, up and running. So far so good.
    Its the smoothest upgrade, I have ever done including downloading 4Gigs from Apple.

Post Thanks / Like

I played with the GM of Lion and won't be installing it until I am forced to. Offers nothing I need but kills any legacy PPC stuff I have and I hate the grey icons in the Finder Sidebar.

I normally am desperate to install the latest and greatest but not this time.
    David Anderson

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

As an early adopter of everything Apple and almost everything tech, I downloaded it this morning and will be doing a clean install this afternoon on a Mac Pro. I don't anticipate any major problems.

Joe

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm up and running. Reverse scrolling is going to take some time to get used to. Back and forward on web pages is nice and the new mail program with conversation view is great. Expose which is now Mission control is nice.....Launch Pad - not so sure I guess if I collect Apps like the iPad perhaps.

Post Thanks / Like

You can revert to normal scrolling in the System Prefs.
    Under TrackPad or Mouse. Change either and it changes both.
    David Anderson

Post Thanks / Like

Also if anyone hates the new Mail look and feel, there is still a classic view available.
    David Anderson

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mathomas View Post
    I'm going to hold off for a while because I'm a software developer and use my machine all day every day (hopefully one of the co-workers will jump and take the risk for me ).

Please let us know what you find out, Godfrey.
    This is one reason I've usually kept two systems ... I'm running just one system right now and it feels weird not to be able to set one up separately to do the download and install.

I'll likely get another system soon, when they do a 13" form factor Pro model with a quad core processor. The size is more important to me right now than the additional processing power.

Hmm, maybe I'll borrow my partners identical system to get the image downloaded.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Braeside View Post
    Also if anyone hates the new Mail look and feel, there is still a classic view available.
    I love the new mail so far. I'm using it in two column view (hiding the mailbox info) and conversation mode. It works more like my iPad mail but seems to be smarter. For instance all of my PMs from the forum are now grouped and this is not the case on my iPad. Similar with notifications on other sites. also the autocorrection in spelling seems to be better at fixing what you messed up. Still have underlining in red but when in blue the system is making the change for you.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This is one reason I've usually kept two systems ... I'm running just one system right now and it feels weird not to be able to set one up separately to do the download and install.

I'll likely get another system soon, when they do a 13" form factor Pro model with a quad core processor. The size is more important to me right now than the additional processing power.

Hmm, maybe I'll borrow my partners identical system to get the image downloaded.
    It doesn't seem to work like the disk image of other upgrades. Once you start the download it wants you to continue all the way through installation. I don't see where there is a saved image unless you then clone to another drive but then you could simply just download again from the App Store.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    Installing now. How will bugs be discovered if no one installs?
    I let someone else discover them

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    I love the new mail so far. I'm using it in two column view (hiding the mailbox info) and conversation mode. It works more like my iPad mail but seems to be smarter. For instance all of my PMs from the forum are now grouped and this is not the case on my iPad. Similar with notifications on other sites. also the autocorrection in spelling seems to be better at fixing what you messed up. Still have underlining in red but when in blue the system is making the change for you.
    I must admit I prefer the Mail "classic view", I can easily see the columns I want in the upper half of the pane. Search is better in the new Mail though.

I don't want my Mac to be like an iPad, though Apple seem to be going that way with Launch Pad.

Have you noticed that your home folder /Library is now hidden? Thin end of the wedge?

TimeMachine now writes local "snapshots" to your hard disk on a portable Mac, and you can't turn it off without turning off TimeMachine completely. Goodbye hard disk space.
    David Anderson

Post Thanks / Like

Erica Sadun has some interesting views on Lion and what she hates.

http://www.tuaw.com/2011/07/20/lion-...gs-that-bug-me
    David Anderson

Post Thanks / Like

OK, I relent, I will install Lion on my wee MBP (after taking a SuperDuper! Clone).

If I still hate it after a week I will revert to SL.

(I can resist everything but temptation).
    David Anderson

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

No issues so far.

Recovered 1.25 GB of storage by using Monolingual (this makes a difference on an MBA)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

nik Software (Photoshop plugins) installers don't play well with Lion :

We have been working with developer release versions and have identified an issue when installing some of our plugins into Photoshop CS5 after you've updated to Lion. If you have already installed your Nik Software plug–ins into Photoshop CS5 prior to updating to Lion, the plug–ins will continue to work without issue. The current installers for Dfine 2.0, Viveza 2, Color Efex Pro 3.0, Silver Efex Pro 2, and Sharpener Pro 3.0 are not able to install into Photoshop CS5 on a Mac running OS 10.7 Lion. This issue will affect both new and re–installations of these plug–ins. There are no issues installing our plug-ins into Lightroom or Aperture on a Mac running OS 10.7 Lion. There are also no issues installing HDR Efex Pro into any host application.

Our engineers have already begun working on a fix for the installers and we intend to start releasing these free updates this month. Each update will be released in succession, starting with Silver Efex Pro 2 and we will notify registered owners via email.

Joe

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

went adventurous, cloned my startup hard drive last night, and did the dirty with Mac OS X Lion and Xcode 4 today.

----
    Both Lion and Xcode 4 installers downloaded and installed, about 2 hours each. A couple of minor incompatibilities at this point, but nothing serious. Everything seems to be working well.

I'm a little irritated that you have to go back to the App Store to re-download the Lion installer if you want to have it for installation on another drive.

Can't say how the performance is until all the Spotlight indexing and Time Machine backup work finishes running. Right now, aside from Safari, they're all that's running and are taking up 30-60% of the compute power available. It's still not bad at all, really.

Lightroom 3.4.1 worked just fine, as did my Chronosync photo backup system.

I like the new Mail features, most of them anyway.

Most irritating silliness was that the Magic Mouse scrolling was inverted by default. I switched it to work the other way, now everything works as I expect it too.

I'll have to keep a Snow Leopard boot system around until Xrite updates the Eye One Display 2 software, but such it is.

onwards ...

Post Thanks / Like

do we need snow leopard? i believe i have only the old leopard . or do we need to go to snow leopard then to lion?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

It doesn't seem to work like the disk image of other upgrades. Once you start the download it wants you to continue all the way through installation. I don't see where there is a saved image unless you then clone to another drive but then you could simply just download again from the App Store.
    The App Store downloads an application installer app for Lion, does the install, then deletes the installer app. You can force the App Store to download another copy of the app to use for installing on other drives, I don't see a way to have it download just once. A bit of a pain, but it works ok.

Cloning with SuperDuper! Saves time and recreates bootable copies of your configuration, but it's not the same as having a pristine fresh copy of the OS available to do a fresh install and configuration with.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mach330 View Post
    do we need snow leopard? i believe i have only the old leopard . or do we need to go to snow leopard then to lion?
    You can only buy Lion from the App Store so you'll need Snow Leopard 10.6.6 or later to obtain it.

Some notes on install and recovery here:
    http://www.apple.com/support/lion/installrecovery/

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm still very happy with Leopard. At first glance, I'm not that interested in what Lion has to offer.

I suppose it might be time for me to "upgrade" to Snow Leopard (if it's not too late).....have the bugs been worked out of Snow Leopard, or did Apple just move onto something "new and improved" in the meantime?

Gary

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bensonga View Post
    I'm still very happy with Leopard. At first glance, I'm not that interested in what Lion has to offer.

I suppose it might be time for me to "upgrade" to Snow Leopard (if it's not too late).....have the bugs been worked out of Snow Leopard, or did Apple just move onto something "new and improved" in the meantime?
    I've been running Snow Leopard since last Spring when I bought my Intel-based systems. I never found any bugs of significance. Snow Leopard runs noticeably faster on Intel machines, and consumes less RAM in the process.

Lion has many new technologies under the hood and quite a few changes in UI that fuses some of what they've learned with the iPod Touch, iPhone and iPad into the desktop user experience.

(For instance, under the hood, I see Lion doing much more efficient RAM allocation and clean up after doing editing with Lightroom and Photoshop. Big chunks of allocations from both of them that used to hang around for a while or never get freed unless you logged out now seem to clean up very quickly, maximizing free space. UI-wise, I like the changes they've made to the Mail application (and the fact that they're configurable) and find the new scroll bars and scrolling action with gestures in apps very neat and clean looking.)

Whether the changes are all to any individual person's tastes or not, this is the latest offering in UI and OS development from Apple. So far, my experience is all positive: the installation went smoothly and swiftly, everything seems clean and logical.

Performance is a question mark as yet ... I don't see too much difference in most things, some things I think it's a little snappier, some things seem a trifle slower.

Nothings crashing or making me feel like I need to re-clone my Snow Leopard system back so far.

You'll need Snow Leopard to get Lion ... I'd suggest getting it soon if you don't already have it.
    Last edited by Godfrey; 22nd July 2011 at 05:30.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Performance is a question mark as yet ... I don't see too much difference in most things, some things I think it's a little snappier, some things seem a trifle slower.

Nothings crashing or making me feel like I need to re-clone my Snow Leopard system back so far.

You'll need Snow Leopard to get Lion ... I'd suggest getting it soon if you don't already have it.
    Hi Godfrey
    on the basis of your posts I'm installing it right now - if it doesn't work out you'll start feeling sharp pains in about 3 hours

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Hi Godfrey
    on the basis of your posts I'm installing it right now - if it doesn't work out you'll start feeling sharp pains in about 3 hours
    Well ? Four hours passed ...
    Bart ...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    Well ? Four hours passed ...
    I dunno ... I was asleep ... I woke to a sharp sensation of pressure but I knew what that was immediately and it's been taken care of now. ]'-)

Ah, coffee. Jono?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Having fun this morning experimenting with the touch expressions on the laptop pad and using the apps full screen on the MBP13" screen rather than connected to the 27" display. I'm liking it! It's a nice integration of the touch-based UI from the iOS with Mac OS X so far.

Things to keep in mind with regard to upgrading:

Remember that Lion is 64-bit all the time and no longer supports Rosetta (PowerPC emulation). If these things compromise some essential tools you need, it's not yet time to upgrade, but plan to replace those things soon. The only significant tools I have that require Snow Leopard are iMatch (Xrite Eye One Display 2 software) and Olympus Viewer 2/Updater (used very rarely, they don't work in 64 bit either).

To use them on the rare occasion when I have the need, I have a Snow Leopard system configured on a small external drive. And if I find anything else infrequently used but necessary to my work, I'll install it there too. It's a temporary measure that will suffice.

Overall, Lion is seeming to be very stable and performs well. There are some lags here and there ... booting up the MBP 13" for the first time without the 27" display tethered seemed to take forever, but now booting up is much quicker again. Lightroom runs as always, so does Photoshop CS4. I haven't started Aperture up yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quick Update after Lion installation on my 2010 MBP. (With Crucial SSD).

All working, had to update a few things like Evernote and 1Password, DropBox.

iDefrag broken. (No great loss)

TimeMachine problem with my Airport Extreme + Hard drive (poor man's TimeCapsule). It was never supported by Apple so I shouldn't complain. Currently starting a fresh TimeMachine and will see how it goes.
    David Anderson

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent Lion coverage at arstechnica
    David Anderson

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Godfrey
    if you have pains, they aren't from me - the back to front scrolling is odd, but obviously correct (it's just that we learned how to do it wrong). Irritatingly I restored from a time machine backup on my new 13" air, and it decided that a backup from June was the right one?
    Still, it's not an issue, just a bother. Mail looks fab. most other things seem at least to work.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

- the back to front scrolling is odd, but obviously correct (it's just that we learned how to do it wrong).
    You can always change it back to the "wrong" way from the system settings.

Post Thanks / Like

Once you download Lion the first time, make sure you make an installer DVD so you can install on other Macs without downloading it again:

Read this first, as the installer gets deleted after the install.

http://lifehacker.com/5823096/how-to...or-flash-drive
    David Anderson

Post Thanks / Like

Jono, I'm not sure what you mean about restoring from June's time machine backup, can you clarify what you were doing?
    David Anderson

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, but the scrolling default is simply backwards to me and I've inverted it so that it works properly*now. That's why they give us these options ..

I didn't make a DVD or flash drive from those instructions, although they're useful to have around.

I used Apple's instructions Lion support pages, re-downloaded the installer app, and built a bootable hard drive with the installers on it so I can install Lion and Xcode 4 on any compatible system easily now. It's a small, portable drive with both FW and USB 2 ports ...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Braeside View Post
    Jono, I'm not sure what you mean about restoring from June's time machine backup, can you clarify what you were doing?
    Hmmm - I ensured that my time machine backup on my external drive was up to date (and checked by looking at the files). Then started new MBA, chose to restore from time machine backup . . . . . and the most recent file/application/update after the restore was 27th June. Rather irritating really! I'll treat time machine backups with care in future.

It's not that much of a problem - important files are on dropbox . . application updates are easy . . . I also have chronosync backup . . . but it might be an issue for someone else.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sorry, but the scrolling default is simply backwards to me and I've inverted it so that it works properly*now. That's why they give us these options ..
    Hmmm . . . scroll down and the page goes down . . . scroll up and the page goes up . . . sounds good to me (although it does take a little time after decade of doing it wrong!).

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

OK one of my favorite new features defaults to being turned off . It is called App Expose and I find it particularly useful with Safari.

I tend to accumulate a lot of safari pages open all at once (usually from opening twitter links). If you turn it on in systems preferences -> trackpad -> more gestures it is a three finger swipe downwards. It will show you all of the open pages of that application. This is different than mission control that will show you all of your different apps that are open.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm . . . scroll down and the page goes down . . . scroll up and the page goes up . . . sounds good to me (although it does take a little time after decade of doing it wrong!).
    When you put toilet paper onto the holder in the bathroom, does the paper roll off the front or the back of the roll? Which way is "wrong"?

I think that wars have been fought over that one. ];-)

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Bought it; downloaded it; installed it; lost access to all of my Buffalo NAS's and Carbonite; restored Leopard from the Time Machine. I'll wait.

Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by m_driscoll View Post
    Bought it; downloaded it; installed it; lost access to all of my Buffalo NAS's and Carbonite; restored Leopard from the Time Machine. I'll wait.

Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com
    Sorry to hear about the problems Matt. I had read about the problem with third party NAS's and Lion, but not about Carbonite.
    David Anderson

Post Thanks / Like

OK one of my favorite new features defaults to being turned off . It is called App Expose and I find it particularly useful with Safari.

I tend to accumulate a lot of safari pages open all at once (usually from opening twitter links). If you turn it on in systems preferences -> trackpad -> more gestures it is a three finger swipe downwards. It will show you all of the open pages of that application. This is different than mission control that will show you all of your different apps that are open.
    There are a lot of options for the gestures aren't there Terry? It sometimes gets a bit confusing between the different ones on the Magic Mouse and the MBP Trackpad.

I tend to use tabs in Safari so don't usually have multiple Safari windows open, hence don't use App Expose so much, but thanks for reminding me about it.

I'm back to "unnatural" scrolling again this morning.
    David Anderson

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm - I ensured that my time machine backup on my external drive was up to date (and checked by looking at the files). Then started new MBA, chose to restore from time machine backup . . . . . and the most recent file/application/update after the restore was 27th June. Rather irritating really! I'll treat time machine backups with care in future.

It's not that much of a problem - important files are on dropbox . . application updates are easy . . . I also have chronosync backup . . . but it might be an issue for someone else.
    Thanks for the clarification Jono. Annoying but not disasterous at least!

I kicked of a brand new TimeMachine backup for this Lion MBP last night over Airport to a USB drive on my Airport Extreme and it has completed and appears to be working properly now (Updating quickly without indexing errors).

I also use SuperDuper! to clone my drives as TimeMachine is set not to back up the virtual machines I use in Parallel Desktop. (Because it takes too long to backup the huge VM file every time a part of it changes).

One of the things I haven't tried yet is the new whole disk encryption option in Lion (New FileVault). Need to find out how it works with TimeMachine first.
    David Anderson