Site Sponsors

Thread: Support GetDPI.com with a action web converter.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Support GetDPI.com with a action web converter.

Hello Everyone just wanted to announce that Jack has created a really cool action to take from PS your images and convert it ready for the web. It does all kinds of cool tricks. We give this action to our workshop folks that attend so we thought you all maybe interested in it . Plus this helps Jack and I get a little money to send Andy our IT guy and web server God for a nice little dinner with his family. We like to keep Andy happy. LOL

So if you would like to donate 15 dollars for the web converter that would be nice. Just send Jack a paypal and he will e-mail it to you. [email protected] is the paypal address. Happy Holidays from Jack and Guy
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Support GetDPI.com with a action web converter.

File received, thanks !
    But I don't know exactly what to do with it, is it some kind of plug-in for Photoshop or what ?
    I have been spoiled by only using Nikon Capture 4.4 which could do everything needed for my Nikon NEF files, and that's why I have never really used my old Photoshop 7. And now I just use Capture One Pro 3.7.7 for my Leica M8 DNG files.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Steve it is a action for PS just load the action from the action tab so when you are working on a image and ready to size it for the web you choice this action and it does everything for you and just save to desired place on computer than upload onto the site
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Guy.
    The resizing part works, but I get this error message so it looks like I'm not taking full advantage of all the 'cool tricks' intended for the optimizing. I suppose my "Photoshop 7" is way too old for this, right ? I realize it is about time to upgrade.
    But honestly, I would rather wait for Lars Vinbergs coming "Joey" program.
    /Steen

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The actions work great! The steps you assembled are exactly the ones I've done a hundred times in PS and always new they would make a great set of actions. I was just too lazy to do the work. I especially like that there are several size alternatives. Thanks!

Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Steen:

What version of CS are you running? That message should not come up in CS2 or CS3, but would in CS1 or earlier --- IOW these actions are only for CS2 and later. Another issue is making sure you loaded right set for your OS --- If you loaded the PC set on a Mac or Vice Versa a similar error would pop up. I send everybody two sets, one Mac (intelmac) and one PC as they are OS dependent because of some java scripting --- did you load the correct one?

(Actually I just realized a third possible issue: pre intel macs may need a different java instruction set, so let me know if that is the case with you.)

Cheers,
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TRSmith View Post
    The actions work great! The steps you assembled are exactly the ones I've done a hundred times in PS and always new they would make a great set of actions. I was just too lazy to do the work. I especially like that there are several size alternatives. Thanks!

Tim
    Hi Tim:

Thanks for the feedback. It sounds like you've loaded them properly and are finding them a good time-saver, which is what they were all about!

Cheers,
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Jack, I am on a Windows XP machine and I actually did use the correct PC version.
    The reason is simply that my Photoshop is a completely outdated 6 years old "version 7" that I never really used (from about year 2002). I've been spoiled by being able to do everything nessessary in the dedicated Nikon Capture raw converter.
    So I guess I need to buy a CS3, only it is so expensive with its many irrelevant features I'd never need. Hmm,
    I think I would rather wait patiently for Lars Vinbergs 'Joey' program which to me sounds much more interesting to try out when it is released hopefully at some point this happy new year. Who knows maybe a beta this spring ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Steen:

Sorry we did not clarify that the actions are for CS2 forward! Refund is on its way!
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No no no, please. I'm happy to support Andy a bit for his great efforts
    Last edited by Steen; 3rd January 2008 at 13:45.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

These actions are great.....
    Thanks ,

Charley

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks for purchasing it, they are truly worth the price.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Is there a writeup about what these actions do? How they are different to 'Save for Web'?
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

hermie

To Jack Flesher:

I have read somewhere on this forum that you give a copy of your upsizing action to workshop participants.

I've always been very pleased with the results from your upsizing procedure as laid down in article on Outback Photo and the accompanying filter from Uwe.

Any chance you'll be distributing this upsizing action as donorware, just like web converter?

Best regards,
    Herman

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rubinstein View Post
    Is there a writeup about what these actions do? How they are different to 'Save for Web'?
    Hi Ben:

The integral difference is they offer a smoother, stepped sharpening designed specifically to mainting sharpness while eliminating the jaggies and halos sometimes seen on images when "Save for Web" is used.

Cheers,
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Herman, I replied to your PM. For posterity in this thread, I do not offer an uprez action because the steps need to be tailored to camera model/file size, raw converter sharpening settings, printer model and desired print size. If you commonly print to one size used on one printer, I can build you a custom action for that purpose. These usually run around $35 or so, but if you need more options, please PM me for an exact quote.

Cheers,
    Jack

Subscriber Member Jonathon Delacour's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jack, I've just upgraded to Photoshop CS4 (Macintosh) and when I run the converter action I get this alert. (I've definitely installed the correct version of the action.)

The action still works fine but I was wondering if you have any ideas about the alert?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon Delacour View Post
    Jack, I've just upgraded to Photoshop CS4 (Macintosh) and when I run the converter action I get this alert. (I've definitely installed the correct version of the action.)

The action still works fine but I was wondering if you have any ideas about the alert?
    Hi Jonathon:

Yes I do. I had to rewrite the script for CS4 and you are using the script in CS4 and CS3 is no longer on your machine . If you PM me your email, I'll send you a new version.

Jack
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, just sent in the request, please Jack make sure you send me the CS4 Version, thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just an update note -- the current version works on CS4 and CS5, Mac or Win just fine! If anybody bought the original version and needs an update, let me know and I will send you the new version free of charge.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Just got mine. As Jack said: works fine with my PS CS5 64 bit.
    Frits

Post Thanks / Like

20$ sent to Jack too

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks guys, enjoy the actions!
    Jack

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My $20 should be in your inbox already.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Got it Carlos, Thanks! And your action set should be in yours!
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Got it Carlos, Thanks! And your action set should be in yours!
    Hey Jack

Has your actions changed since I got mine on the workshop?

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Woody,

I'm not sure what set you have, but they were last updated in early 2009. THey now include separate sets for higher rez MF backs, as well as a refined set for cameras under 20MP.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Woody,

I'm not sure what set you have, but they were last updated in early 2009. THey now include separate sets for higher rez MF backs, as well as a refined set for cameras under 20MP.
    Guess I need to get the newest version now that I am fully into MF

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hey Jack,
    Am I entitled to a copy of your PS action? I was on the the Norther AZ workshop in 2009 with Guy, I think you couldn't make that one for some reason.

Steven
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Woody,

I'm not sure what set you have, but they were last updated in early 2009. They now include separate sets for higher rez MF backs, as well as a refined set for cameras under 20MP.
    Got mine and it works, thanks, Jack.

By "Higher Res" do you mean over 20Mpx? I thought Higher res was over 60Mpx... or would it not make any difference to the optimization?

If there is a line 2 pixels wide (e.g. a hair) and you down-rez 60Mpx to 1Mpx, will the line still visible? and how?

Pictures look sharp if there is enough res to resolve the detail in the picture - so, with some scenes MF might not look much better (or resolve any more detail) than 35mm ff?
    Last edited by dick; 27th March 2011 at 05:21.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Higher Res means over 20MP as far as the action set is concerned. So far it works well with 22MP through 60MP files. It worked fine with the Phase IQ180 demo files we had as well.

As to your second question, the answer is "it depends." Often, that 1 or 2 pixel line will remain as a 1 pixel line if there is enough contrast in the original file. If not, it may disappear.

Finally, if somebody is only shooting for web output, then yes, MF file size is probably overkill. However, the minute you start talking print output, the more native resolution the better.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Camera for web output

Finally, if somebody is only shooting for web output, then yes, MF file size is probably overkill. However, the minute you start talking print output, the more native resolution the better.
    My theory is that, if you use any digital other than MF for 1Mpx output you need to downs res by a factor 9 to eliminate the effect of the Anti-aliasing filter (which spreads the light destined for one pixel over all the adjacent pixels), and then you have to down-res by a factor of 4 to eliminate the effect of Bayer interpolation, so a Full-format Canikon 35mm camera would have to be 36 Mpx to produces a "perfect" 1Mpx file?

Post Thanks / Like

Local sharpening before downsizing for web?

Quote Originally Posted by dick View Post
    Got mine and it works, thanks, Jack.
    If there is a line 2 pixels wide (e.g. a hair) and you down-rez 60Mpx to 1Mpx, will the line still visible? and how?

...Often, that 1 or 2 pixel line will remain as a 1 pixel line if there is enough contrast in the original file. If not, it may disappear.
    This might indicate that local contrast enhancement on the raw file (Clarity in Phocus) might help?

Post Thanks / Like

I also just ordered mine..;-) Thanks! rem

Post Thanks / Like

in Paypal shows "John Flesher", thats correct?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Rem,

Yes, "John" is my given name, Jack is a nickname. Your actions should be in your inbox right now!
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Is this still valid...
    Peter
    My website