The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with images taken with the Pentax K1

More FA 20 fun.
So I have small lens setup for walkaround: Fish F17-28, FA20mm, FAL31, F50 1.4, FAL77.
Still FA 20 have some issues, distortion, vignetting,
But still I'm very happy that I bought it it cost me around 590$ quite pricy but unfortunately it is rare lens.

Dull weather in Krakow FA 20mm K1

f/13 on semi bulb 2min

same na f/2.8

Michiel Schierbeek

Congrats Piotr with this lens. A very good travel wide. I use in ACR (or Lightroom) the lens profile for the smc DA Pentax 21/3.2. Works rather well.

Another one from the market in Budapest.

Norm N

After looking at the photos here, a K1 has just joined the Fuji. (50mm f2.8 Macro @ 2.8, iso 6400, 1/100)

Thorkil

Quentin...dont tell it's your new ship that has gone ashore for a minor servicecheck underneath .....:grin:...:bugeyes:....:shocked:
Thorkil

Quentin_Bargate

So... I have been wondering about the Fuji GFX 50 medium format digital. As a user of MF digital in the past, the Fuji seems entirely differerent. The reason not to, apart from it being yet another system and the cost, is whether it would offer anything I cannot get with the K1. Which is not much, as I think the K1 is exceptional. It just lacks a few lenses. It has plenty of resolution, particularly with pixel shift. Smack me about the face with a wet haddock and get me to see sense!

tsjanik

So... I have been wondering about the Fuji GFX 50 medium format digital. As a user of MF digital in the past, the Fuji seems entirely differerent. The reason not to, apart from it being yet another system and the cost, is whether it would offer anything I cannot get with the K1. Which is not much, as I think the K1 is exceptional. It just lacks a few lenses. It has plenty of resolution, particularly with pixel shift. Smack me about the face with a wet haddock and get me to see sense!
Quentin:

I don't have a haddock, will a lake trout do? The lenses to be available seem quite limited to me: widest 32mm, longest 120mm. Correct me if I'm wrong in the details (someone surely will). Your posts and comments have convinced me to soon acquire a K-1. What lenses do you find missing? I currently use a 645Z with lenses from 28mm to 600mm, so if it's MF and lens availability you want, I suggest a 645Z.

Tom

Quentin_Bargate

Quentin:

I don't have a haddock, will a lake trout do? The lenses to be available seem quite limited to me: widest 32mm, longest 120mm. Correct me if I'm wrong in the details (someone surely will). Your posts and comments have convinced me to soon acquire a K-1. What lenses do you find missing? I currently use a 645Z with lenses from 28mm to 600mm, so if it's MF and lens availability you want, I suggest a 645Z.

Tom
Tom,

Lake trout would work a treat!

I have a Hasselblad H5D-200MS, and I think the K1 is a more versatile, and overall a better, camera and now no longer use the Hasselblad.

Too many people just assume that MF digital must be better without thinking of the downsides, which include cost and weight / size.

I have also owned and used a bizarre assortment of kit over the years, from a Mamiya ZD, which used the same 22mp sensor as the Phase One P25, through various Bronica, Rollei early Fuji equipment, including their 617 pano camera and their S1 pro first digital camera, Sony and Nikon kit including a D810, D700, D800E, Sony A7R2 (and others), Kodak digital, lenses galore, various Contax, a Dicomed field Pro "portable" scanning back (awesome, but talk about bulky, used old SCSI connections), Large format up to 8x10, and loads more. The cameras I have used that had a "wow" factor and impressed me are more limited. Two in recent years stand out: (1). The Sigma DP2M (and to a lesser extent) the DP1M and DP3M, and (2) the Pentax K1. People who know the value of nothing but the price of everything look at the K1 as a camera for those who cannot afford the big Canon and Nikons, but in the process they miss the point entirely; the K1 used within its fairly wide operating range is a great photographic tool.

Now, get ready with the trout! I may weaken and get a Fuji otherwise....

jdphoto

Which are the absolute best lenses for the K1? I shoot mostly fast primes for portraits and landscape. This camera appeals to me because of the pixel shift and astro tracker, but am admittedly kinda fond on the ability to preview a scene through the viewfinder on my Sony A7R II, especially with ND filters. The K1 seems superior to weather resistance though and that is important to my style. Going back to a mirror camera seems unusual too. Any thoughts on those who have put it through its paces would be appreciated.

Last weekend I was somwhere in south-eastern Poland.
About K1 and low temperature, everything work well. Well almost. Day after I saw that black plastic cover at AF/MF button is missing. There was only small portion of glue and lot of free space. But it is minor problem. What is great? buttons. I have "tactic" gloves from military shop. K1 is usable. Some buttons are harder to "find" but still you can choose all options.
So what I do with my K1? Besides family photos I make one test scene.
All photos cooked in Capture one for my taste.

K1 F 17-28 Fisheye zoom @ 17mm

K1 + FA 20mm

K1 + FAL 31mm

K1 + F 50mm 1.4

Something extra:

few more shots right here

Quentin_Bargate

This is a good year for Snowdrops at Green Farm. Taken using the K1 and 50mm Macro (first shot) and 100mm Macro WR (second two shots)

AlanS

Well you Guys have convinced me, I have a K-1 on it's way to me next week, just need to decide on glass:thumbup: (the 100mm macro is definitely on the list Quentin, thanks).

Quentin_Bargate

Well you Guys have convinced me, I have a K-1 on it's way to me next week, just need to decide on glass:thumbup: (the 100mm macro is definitely on the list Quentin, thanks).
Choice of lens with the K1 is limited but less so if you are a tad adventurous. Look at Leitax for lenses you can convert for use on the K1, for example. Michiel and I have converted Zeiss Nikon fit 25mm distagons.

Otherwise, look at the 77mm F1.8 limited for an incredibly compact short portrait lens, the 15-30mm Pentax for an excellent ultra wide angle option, the Sigma 35mm f/1.4, a very sharp moderate fast wide, and of course the Pentax macros I used above - the 50mm and particilarly the 100mm f/2.8 WR. The 24-70mm f/2.8 is a useful standard zoom albeit of mediocre quality.

Loads more, but I use all the above.

AlanS

Thanks Quentin, been thinking about converting my Contax glass. I think I may do my 35mm 1.4 and see how it performs then take it from there.

AlanS

Oh and as an aside, I have been using Rawtherapee for converting pixelshift files with movement that I have found and it performs extremely well in my opinion:D