The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Any experiences with the Arca Cube C1 gp (geared panning) FlipLock in rough landscape photography?

Hi

I am considering to buy a Arca Cube C1 for mounting a Hasselblad H6D. But I am a little bit worried because this Cube C1 seems for me best solution for studio work, but not outside in snow storm, rain and rough atmospheres.

The Cube C1 has an open design, where the gears are not protected again these weather influences. Also during the transport in a car with other equipment the Cube C1 is not protected against damages. The additional brown leather case is for me not practical, because the Cube C1 is mounted on the tripod, when you go or travel around. There is no protection we know for example for a golfclub.

Has anyone by the way a comparison between a ball head and the Cube C1 in relation if the movements of the Cube C1? Does it function slower than using a ball head?

Thanks for your advices!Bildschirmfoto 2020-09-24 um 12.57.07.png

Last edited:

Jeffg53

The Cube is much slower than a ballhead. If speed is important you could look at the D4, still not as fast as a ballhead. If you do go for the Cube, never move around with the quick release unclipped If you don’t clip it down, they come undone and the bits fall out. This can be a problem, particularly in Icelandic moss.

Mexecutioner

After using the cube GP I don't see myself ever uysing a ball head (and I still have 2, I just don't use them). I will just take my chances with the Cube, protect it the best I can and hope for the best. I use a neoprene wrap on it and I think it will be fine unless it rolls off a cliff. The cube you posted is not the GP version, so make sure you get the one you want if you decide to go that route.

Don Libby

I've used the C1 in rain, and snow as well as blowing sand. I've dropped it on a sandy beach. It's been used with a tech cam as well as all my medium format systems. Never had an issue or problem. I've felt comfortable standing in a forest as well as on the side of a 500' cliff.

I sold the C1 shortly after selling all my Phase One and Cambo gear thinking it was too much for the Fuji GFX. By that I mean I thought it was over engineered and the GFX didn't need it. I now have the new mini cube that I've used for all my landscape,nature and some wildlife work using the GFX100.

Will the C1 perform in extreme conditions? The very short answer is hell yes. It's big. It's heavy. It's built like a tank. If need be you can use it as a weapon. It's also very easy to clean and keep clean. There is an old thread lurking here from years ago about the Cube; if you have any doubts try searching for it; I think Jack started it....

LCValla

Just got my cube C1 GP classic.

I don't think a ball head is quicker if you want to be precise.
I worked with ball head and I wested a lot of time because every time I wanted to pan a bit I have to do all the work again.
With the cube it is another life!

Lorenzo

Mexecutioner

Do you use the GP or the non GP version? Is it good enough for normal (rough :)) landscape photography to buy a normal Cube C1 without panning gearing?
Yes of course the classic one is good, exceptional actually, but the geared panning adds additional precision which for me was the main reason for getting it. You can loosen the base of the classic and pan it very easily, the GP simply offer more precise panning. As Lorenzo pointed out, you waste more time trying to get precise framing with a ballhead and it can be an exercise in frustration.

None of these are inexpensive so for me it was obvious to get the GP version instead of getting the classic and then regretting it and wanting the GP. Buy once, cry once, they say.

LCValla

When I said “classic “ I was referring to the camera lock.
I preferred that “old” solution instead of the “flip lock” because I am used to this.
I agree that geared Pan is not “must have “ but is useful specially because I often carry my XT on the tripod and if I use geared pan I can’t forget to lock the pan as I don’t use it!!

Reactions: med

jng

I agree with Don, but he neglected to mention the time he spent an hour helping me clean the grit out of my Cube after I used it in a sand storm (that was several years ago and my trusty Cube still works as new). Or the time another GetDPI member (who shall remain nameless) took his Cube in the shower with him to rinse out the sand. 😂

If you can live with the weight and don't mind the slow but infinitely more precise movements compared to a ball head, get the Cube and be done with it.

John

I've used the C1 in rain, and snow as well as blowing sand. I've dropped it on a sandy beach. It's been used with a tech cam as well as all my medium format systems. Never had an issue or problem. I've felt comfortable standing in a forest as well as on the side of a 500' cliff.

I sold the C1 shortly after selling all my Phase One and Cambo gear thinking it was too much for the Fuji GFX. By that I mean I thought it was over engineered and the GFX didn't need it. I now have the new mini cube that I've used for all my landscape,nature and some wildlife work using the GFX100.

Will the C1 perform in extreme conditions? The very short answer is hell yes. It's big. It's heavy. It's built like a tank. If need be you can use it as a weapon. It's also very easy to clean and keep clean. There is an old thread lurking here from years ago about the Cube; if you have any doubts try searching for it; I think Jack started it....

Mexecutioner

When I said “classic “ I was referring to the camera lock.
I preferred that “old” solution instead of the “flip lock” because I am used to this.
I agree that geared Pan is not “must have “ but is useful specially because I often carry my XT on the tripod and if I use geared pan I can’t forget to lock the pan as I don’t use it!!
Misread it but yes, Like you, I also chose the "classic" knob for the GP as the fliplocks make me a bit nervous.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
And I got my cube from Jack, so do the math. Sometimes a knob axle gets bent from a hard drop. I hammer it back mostly straight and it keeps working. The D4 feels like a delicate flower by comparison. The Cube *is* a danger to its surroundings. Those corners can inflict real damage. A tripod with Cube attached makes a decent Battle Mace. I've started replacing all flip-locks with ordinary screws. Too many different thickness plates. Ditto neoprene lens pouches.

Last edited:
Reactions: med

SrMphoto

I use Arca-Swiss Quick Links to remove or mount the head on the tripod quickly. I can keep the head in a separate pouch.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
LOL, I had forgotten I sold my original Cube to you Matt! I went to the then "new" RRS ballhead thinking it would be superior, wrong, so had to re-buy a Cube. Lesson learned!

kdphotography

I've had mine for 12 years or so and it's still performing flawlessly. I do use one of those fattish neoprene lens pouches with drawstring as a slip over cover. So far, all has worked out well.
Neoprene gives good water protection, might even work in the shower. 😂

I've had my AS Cube about ten years now. I've only had to replace the rubber grips on the a couple knobs. Parts provided by Precision Camera all for about a buck a piece. Jack's original review on LL probably resulted in the purchase of a ton of Cubes. Crazy initial cost until you use it the first time.

I no longer have any ball heads. AS L-60 (baby cube), AS L-75 (mini-Cube), and the original AS Cube make for a formidable team.

ken