The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Got my GFX100s today.

Don Libby

I've had mine now for about an hour. I'm amassed at the difference in both size and weight of the GFX100. Feels good in my hands and have shot a couple test shots using the GF23. Working through the menus getting it set up for me. This is what I had hope for when Fuji originally introduced the 100. Speaking of the GFX100 - my mind is certain, I'll be selling it.

The only downside so far is the toggle switch - its smaller than what is on the 100 and will take some time to get used to it. Everything else seems to be great.

vjbelle

Don.... don't blame you for selling your original '100'. I would have had one to sell if not giving up on my attempts to purchase a 100 with issue after issue. Really just a fluke for me as there has been such good acceptance by so many without issues. The 100s is a fabulous purchase for me as I'm sure it will be for you.

Best......

Victor B.

Steve Hendrix

I've had mine now for about an hour. I'm amassed at the difference in both size and weight of the GFX100. Feels good in my hands and have shot a couple test shots using the GF23. Working through the menus getting it set up for me. This is what I had hope for when Fuji originally introduced the 100. Speaking of the GFX100 - my mind is certain, I'll be selling it.

The only downside so far is the toggle switch - its smaller than what is on the 100 and will take some time to get used to it. Everything else seems to be great.

I have to agree - if Ihad one niggle to pick, and I would have a hard time picking one, it would be the joystick. Not only is it smaller, the little nubs feel like pin pricks on my finger - they're sharp! I was like - what were they thinking? Did they actually have anyone push their finger against it and get some feedback? I would strongly consider super gluing some sort of rubber shutter release on it, if I had to use it every day. Or - what would be cooler than a screw in socket?

Other than that small detail, the camera feels like a home run and will be an influential standard setting camera for years to come.

Steve Hendrix/CI

Attachments

Don Libby

On the plus side - I've been using an Arca Swiss Universal L bracket forever (or at least as long as I've owned Fiji cameras). The good news is the bottom plate fits on the 100s - not entirely certain if the side plate will fit and haven't tried it as yet. I might just use this with just the bottom plate and hold off the side for the rare times I might need it.

The joystick takes getting used to but seeing as how that's the only downside I ain't complaining. Imagine having a 100 megapixel medium format camera that is just about the same size as a Sony A7rIV! I need to compare the 100s with Sandy's Sony but I think they just might be close in size. The 23mm lens almost dwarfs the body!

Knorp

I have to agree - if Ihad one niggle to pick, and I would have a hard time picking one, it would be the joystick. Not only is it smaller, the little nubs feel like pin pricks on my finger - they're sharp! I was like - what were they thinking? Did they actually have anyone push their finger against it and get some feedback? I would strongly consider super gluing some sort of rubber shutter release on it, if I had to use it every day. Or - what would be cooler than a screw in socket?

Other than that small detail, the camera feels like a home run and will be an influential standard setting camera for years to come.

Steve Hendrix/CI
adhesive rubber or silicone bumpons to the rescue ...

algrove

Hey Don
If you get a chance I would very much like to see a photo of the 100S beside the Sony A7r4 with similar lens FL.

Don Libby

sidebyside.jpg

2.jpg

Not the same FL lens. The 100s is wearing the GF23 and the Sony has a 16-35. The Sony has a RRS L-bracket and the 100s has the bottom plate from the Arca Swiss Universal. The 100s is larger however not by much...

Don Libby

I used to think I needed a backup however I've not do this for several years. When I'm out shooting by myself I'll have the one camera. If Sandy and I are shooting then it's different.

And more news... just tried the 250 with 1.4 extender and while it is still heavy it can be used handheld with little issues. This combo no longer feels like a huge boat anchor around my neck. You sure can tell the difference of losing that 1 pound.

Don Libby

I used to think I needed a backup however I've not do this for several years. When I'm out shooting by myself I'll have the one camera. If Sandy and I are shooting then it's different.

And more news... just tried the 250 with 1.4 extender and while it is still heavy it can be used handheld with little issues. This combo no longer feels like a huge boat anchor around my neck. You sure can tell the difference of losing that 1 pound.
Tried to edit the remarks however I'm currently using a small laptop can failed to find the button.

That said - I used to have a Leica M9 back in my Phase One days more of a companion camera than a backup. I also used to shoot with both a Cambo tech camera and P1 body using the same back between the 2. I only used the GFX50s and quickly sold than when I got the 100 however I picked up a Fuji XT4 as a kick-around camera and only brought that on my last visit to Death Valley. I ended up selling that kit and picked up a GFX50r thinking that this would be a great travel camera allowing me to use the same lenses as the 100. I actually only used this twice before I found I didn't care for it and sold it. I'm now on the 100s and the GFX100 is sitting in a box waiting to be shipped out Monday and I'm back to 1 camera system which I prefer.

vjbelle

I never thought about buying a 50r but then again our needs are different. I sold my 50s last year and never regretted it even though some of my more favorite prints are from files from that camera. I never sold my lenses knowing that somehow Fuji would shrink the '100'. I bought into the Sony system with the 7RM4 and still have not regretted that purchase mostly because of the wealth of wonderful lenses that are available for it. I wish more lenses were available for the GFX system. I really wish that Voigtlander could see a cost benefit of producing some manual lenses for the GFX system. I just don't think there would be enough volume for Cosina but they could always charge a premium for the lenses.

It's great to see the positive acceptance of the 100s in the MF community.

Victor B.

algrove

I just love my 50R especially after getting some cheap grip extension for like $30. It made all the difference in the world. I might keep one for a back up, but probably not needed even though when I mainly shoot I travel across the country and just would have a partial wasted trip due to a camera failure. Was in Yellowstone with a nearly new Phase IQ3100 some years ago and it just locked up and I missed the best sunrise of the trip. Sure got a replacement thanks to Phase, but I lost 2 days of shooting. I will never leave home with one camera again. I own the Sony A7R4, but hate to have to take 2 sets of lenses etc. If the 100S is what I expect perhaps the Sony will go although I own it for street if ever people stop wearing masks. I refuse to glorify this CCP virus.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Loving the new ergonomics of the GFX100s. I’m already wondering how often I’ll use the GFX100 now and probably should do the wise thing and let it go now.

As regards backup systems, I used to carry a GFX50s and GFX100 but then I bought Ken’s full spectrum GFX50s system which made the normal GFX50s somewhat redundant (plus TBH I carry a Leica Q2 as my small ‘spare’) so the normal GFX50s went to a new home. The problem with the Fujis with “spares” is that the weight very quickly adds up! Ditto with having all the zooms and primes!

I know, I know, first world problems :ROFLMAO:

algrove

Graham
A fixed lens backup is probably the best option. I parted with my Q as in the end I found the 28 just too wide for my liking. Also sold the Sony RX1 42MP with Zeiss f2 lens too fast as I now anticipate (hope for) a replacement with A1 capabilities if it ever comes.
For landscape sand, snow and high winds I found 2x50R (with grips added) have worked out well having one with 32-64 and other with 100-200 (with 23 and 250+1.4 lenses in backpack), but 2x100S probably overkill in todays world. That said changing lenses in those outdoor weather conditions could warrant it though. Dante is "touching my shoulder with his finger" on this one.

Last edited: