The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images 2021

jng

I am not sure it is the exact same image, but here is one with the sky.

View attachment 189810
Hi Greg,

I think the sliver of sky in this second image is just the right amount to frame the rest of the image - more would be a distraction with no additional value added, less would feel too constraining. The first image feels incomplete (perhaps un-anchored) without it. Sometimes I find that the horizon close to the edge adds a nice tension to the image. Lovely image, regardless.

John

Greg Haag

Hi Greg,

I think the sliver of sky in this second image is just the right amount to frame the rest of the image - more would be a distraction with no additional value added, less would feel too constraining. The first image feels incomplete (perhaps un-anchored) without it. Sometimes I find that the horizon close to the edge adds a nice tension to the image. Lovely image, regardless.

John
Thank you John! Do you ever just look at something too long and lose a vision for the image? I think that has happened to me on this. I had a certain pre-visualization of the shot and the sky and that evening turned out to be nothing like that. I have struggled salvaging something I find pleasing.

drevil

Staff member

Here we go again, its winter in Beijing and the oh so typical brownish colors of Beijing's winters have arrived.
I havent been to this section of the wall in nearly four years, locals are ordered to stop us from hiking on the great wall, and so it happened on that day too. We had to pass through a small village and people stopped our bus. An old guy with a typical red arm band told us aggressively we should go back, we cannot pass. I told him I was here the day before and his colleague/neighbour told me it would be fine, he just pointed at his red arm band and I tried to say in chinese "oh you are the big man here" (of course he is not, he is just a volunteer to spy on anything happening and those people love the feeling to be in charge)
Luckily he wasnt alone and the other locals were more friendly and had overridden his denial and we were allowed to go anyway, such annoyances.

The hike itself was more troublesome, its a quite steep ascend for around 1.5 hours i was dead beat at the end after around 10km hiking.

Contax645 + 35mm Distagon and Phase One P65+

jng

Thank you John! Do you ever just look at something too long and lose a vision for the image? I think that has happened to me on this. I had a certain pre-visualization of the shot and the sky and that evening turned out to be nothing like that. I have struggled salvaging something I find pleasing.
Greg,

Sometimes fresh eyes - either from others or your own after setting the image aside for a while - can do wonders. I find that making an actual print helps me see things that I otherwise miss even after (or perhaps because) I've stared at the computer screen for hours. Same thing when reviewing a manuscript draft - for whatever reason I pick up all kinds of things - typos, redundancies, better ways of phrasing - when I hold the printed page in my hand. Anyway, you made a lovely image!

John

dave.gt

Somehow, your image has captured my attention right at the moment I am searching for something interesting.:)

Beautiful image!

Now to start doing research on both the National Arboretum and Bonsai. Wow!

dave.gt

Your last two images with the 645DF have a stunning quality. I am not sure exactly what the difference is but they have certainly caught my eye!

Wonderful images, tasks for sharing.:):):)

alistairsimmons

Your last two images with the 645DF have a stunning quality. I am not sure exactly what the difference is but they have certainly caught my eye!

Wonderful images, tasks for sharing.:):):)
Kind of you to say, thanks Dave. Some people don't have a lot of love for it, but I think the DF with an 80mm is a good camera for handhold-runaround!

Also, safe to say that the particularly nice autumn light this year in the UK has something to do with it!

Greg Haag

Finally getting to spend a little time on my images from my trip to Death Valley and Oregon Coast earlier this year. This was a pano from someplace out in the desert, not really sure if it has a name. I am trying to decide on Color or BW for an image for my office, would love any guidance. This will be about 6' long maybe a canvas, I am not sure?

IQ4 150 Cambo 1600 Rodenstock 90mm

Death Valley Pano-4.jpg

Death Valley Pano-5.jpg

Last edited: