The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad XCD 28P

Geoff

Interesting. I don't really see it as a replacement for the 30mm XCD lens. If I owned a 30mm, I would be using it differently than how I would use this 28mm. But of course, everyone is different. Not 100% sure - I'll look forward to doing a head to head test against our 30mm.

Steve Hendrix/CI
Can you expand on this, please ? From an owner of the 30mm and eager for the smaller 28….

jng

Interesting. I don't really see it as a replacement for the 30mm XCD lens. If I owned a 30mm, I would be using it differently than how I would use this 28mm. But of course, everyone is different. Not 100% sure - I'll look forward to doing a head to head test against our 30mm.

Steve Hendrix/CI
Can you expand on this, please ? From an owner of the 30mm and eager for the smaller 28….
In my admittedly rare rational moments, I don't really see the need to replace my current XCD 30, which is a superb lens. For landscape and other static subjects, focusing speed isn't an issue. The reduced weight/bulk of the 28P makes it well suited for travel (which I do) or street photography (which I don't), but for me "want" hasn't yet turned itself into "need." Yet.

Note that some people sold off their XCD 3.2/90s in anticipation of the XCD 2.5/90-V, which has yet to appear and yet seemed to drive down the prices of XCD 3.2/90s on the used market. I was initially tempted as well, but am glad that I held off. For now.

YMMV.

John

Ai_Print

In regards to all these new lenses, I'm all about the weight savings, compactness, newer focusing being faster, quieter, likely more reliable and possibly using less power. And the new XCD-V lenses along with this new 28P use the same 72mm filter size, a missed trait of my V series Bay60 glass. The 38 and 55 will weigh less together than my XCD65mm does by it self, I will do that upgrade next year most likely.

If the trade off vs the 30mm 3.5 is a bit less shallow DOF in gaining a half a stop +2mm of wide angle, and a bit more sharpening applied in post, that's going to make the new 28P hard to beat. And there was not even a rumor on this lens, I was taken completely and pleasantly by surprise on all of it. This might have been the fastest I have ever ordered a brand new product I had never heard of.

Last edited:

Steve Hendrix

Well sure!

Based on what I see on the MTF charts, I don't assume the 28mm to be a natural replacement for the 30mm lens - at least for some people. The 30mm lens is an exceptional lens that performs outstandingly edge to edge. The 28mm may not match that performance. If I used the 30mm for landscape or architecture, the advantage of the 28mm is likely only going to be that it is smaller/lighter and costs much less. Let's take the size/weight and the price out of the equation. Is the 28mm lens an optical match to the 30mm lens? Probably not. Then again, of course a modest MTF advantage can often be difficult to detect in a real world photograph. But for a wide angle lens, the edge performance in a landscape and/or architectural discipline is typically critical, with ideally very similar resolution at the edges as there exists in the center, and a lack of smearing at the extreme edges is also appreciated.

I'm not saying the 28mm will visibly reflect inferiority in that regard compared to the 30mm, but it is certainly possible.

And as many know, I have been a fan of the 45P lens from the beginning. Once that lens was announced, I sold very very few 45mm/3.5 XCD lenses. But the 45P is at least as sharp overall as the 45/3.5, is lighter and smaller and costs 1/3 the price. 2 out of 3 of those are certainly established with the 28mm vs the 30mm, but the 3rd criteria has yet to be.

From my standpoint, my first assessment of any lens is optical performance. Then other matters are taken into consideration. From that standpoint, if I shoot landscape/architecture, and I own a 30mm lens, and the 28mm doesn't match that lens from edge to edge, the 28mm - for me - becomes still a lens I might want, but would probably use in a different way.

Steve Hendrix/CI

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Let's take the size/weight and the price out of the equation.
Steve,

Oh, I think an IQ4150 and a 40mm HR would be a good start. :cool:

Seriously, I had the XCD 30 for a year and had only 2 real keepers with it. Not through any fault of the lens, but only my preference in focal lengths. When rebuilding my X system, I skipped the 30. I wish I'd tried the 45P, instead I went with my good previous experience with the 45/3.5. The 21/4 is, of course, unique, and I'm very sad that HB killed it. If a P lens between 20mm and 24mm replaces it, though ... Well, we'll see.

Matt

Last edited:

peterm1

I recently put my 30mm XCD up for sale, but it wasn't because of the release of the 28p - it was to raise funds for a different lens. However, even though I have ordered the 28p, I have reconsidered and am holding onto the 30mm as well for now for the reason Steve mentioned - optical performance across the frame.

The 28p will probably be glued to my X2D 75% of the time, but when I am taking a backpack full of XCD lenses to shoot landscape/urbanscape on a tripod, if the 30mm performs better than the 28mm I'd rather have the 30mm in the bag for those purposes. Especially because I was getting no offers for the 30mm when I put it up for sale at an extremely good price.

Peter

tenmangu81

When you have a look at the 55V and 28P MTF curves, they are very similar. I use the 55V every day (it's my favorite lens), and, frankly speaking, I can hardly see any difference in sharpness between the edges and the center. So, wait and see, and I am eager to get the first feedbacks about the 28P in the field. The only thing I am a little surprised about the 28P is that the sharpness and contrast at the center are worst at f/8 than at f/4.

Steve Hendrix

Steve,

Oh, I think an IQ4150 and a 40mm HR would be a good start. :cool:

Seriously, I had the XCD 30 for a year and had only 2 real keepers with it. Not through any fault of the lens, but only my preference in focal lengths. When rebuilding my X system, I skipped the 30. I wish I'd tried the 45P, instead I went with my good previous experience with the 45/3.5. The 21/4 is, of course, unique, and I'm very sad that HB killed it. If a P lens between 20mm and 24mm replaces it, though ... Well, we'll see.

Matt

Oh, now you're talking!

But actually, the Rodenstock HR lenses are not the sharpest lenses in the world; they are very sharp, but their truly unique aspect, something they certainly do better than any other lens, is provide a very large image circle, and allow you to shift within that image circle to extreme degrees and maintain that sharpness. No other lenses do that at the same level.

When you have a look at the 55V and 28P MTF curves, they are very similar. I use the 55V every day (it's my favorite lens), and, frankly speaking, I can hardly see any difference in sharpness between the edges and the center. So, wait and see, and I am eager to get the first feedbacks about the 28P in the field. The only thing I am a little surprised about the 28P is that the sharpness and contrast at the center are worst at f/8 than at f/4.

Yes, similar to the Schneider-Kreuznach 55mm Blue Ring lens (and preceding 55mm Silver Ring) for Phase One, the curves are similar to that lens as well, and that lens has been called (outside of the legacy 28mm) the worst lens in the lineup. And yet I have shot with it so many times, and never felt the results were lacking in any way. So a lot about the way a lens performs is how you use it. And that was my point about the 30mm and (potentially) the 28mm.

Also, the thing about Phase One and Fuji and Hasselblad is that they do not make multiple grades of lenses for the same camera system, as 35mm manufacturers do. They make one set of lenses for medium format, and there are no turkeys in these lineups, there are only differences, and the differences for the most part are minute.

Interestingly, most of the MTF charts for the XCD lens lineup display less contrast and resolution stopped down vs wide open. It is how many modern lenses have been designed these days (not sure about older designs). However, it's often not noticeable, because as that depth of field increases, our eyes view the image differently, and we often perceive the entire image as sharper.

Steve Hendrix/CI

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Oh, now you're talking!

But actually, the Rodenstock HR lenses are not the sharpest lenses in the world; they are very sharp, but their truly unique aspect, something they certainly do better than any other lens, is provide a very large image circle, and allow you to shift within that image circle to extreme degrees and maintain that sharpness. No other lenses do that at the same level.

Steve Hendrix/CI
Steve

My favorite was the SK 43mm, but those are hard to come by. I was trying to pick an example with a similar FoV to the XCD 28. I've never used the HR 40, but it has many fans. And size/weight and expense matter to me a LOT :ROFLMAO:

Matt

FloatingLens

B_03850.jpg

Not the best light for landscape photos at my place at the moment... hence, just an outdoor closeup sample.

1/60s f4 @ ISO 400
Phocus lens corrections enabled (distortion and vignetting)

Hasselblad X1D II
Hasselblad XCD 4/28P

By the way: the new lens does not get recognized by the 907X with 1.5.2 firmware. So no shooting with that combo yet.

Last edited:

tenmangu81

Thanks for the pictures !! The bokeh is not that bad, but these images can't give any idea of the corner sharpness, unfortunately 😂

Maxx9photo

IMHO, This is a perfect wide angle for street type. Added the IBIS feature of X2D, most people will benefited from that!

The size of 28P is such a winner for street photography.

Please don’t compare this with your Rodenstock HR lenses 😂 and I’d say this, XCD 30 is still better in terms of optical, especially for landscape.
Took this combo at local Whole Foods marketB0000258.jpgB0000257.jpg

Last edited:

Ai_Print

I guess I will just have to see how it stacks up when I get it on Tuesday. I have no intention of using a 100MP camera for street and bought the new 28P specifically for landscapes.