The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Recent content by jng

1. J

Hasselblad XV Lens Adapter Questions

Indeed, by default I use a lens collar/tripod foot that mounts to the XV lens adapter, in my case the one sold by ppl.de (similar to the Hasselblad XH/1.7TC collar, and last I checked probably out of production). I find the balance to be much better without the mass of the lens + adapter hanging...
  2. J

A macro lens for the view camera

The Hasselblad-Zeiss 120 Makro-Planar and S-Planar require extension tubes to get to 1:1. Without, I think they get down to maybe 1:5 (perhaps more - I’m not near my gear right now to check). I typically don’t use movements when shooting macro so can’t speak to usable image circle, but note that...
  3. J

Technical Camera Images

Hi Greg, Indeed, it is nice to get out with the camera, especially when other things in life get in the way. It's great to see that you haven't lost your touch! Unfortunately other events did get in my way last month so it was not practical to haul my gear with me to photograph this year's...
  4. J

Technical Camera Images

Ditto - beautiful image, Greg. It's great to see you posting here again! John
  5. J

Medium Format Pets

Matt, Sheesh, how could you? In your next post(s) of Soup, we fully expect there to be appropriately sized bags for him to inhabit. John
  6. J

Growing concern over availability of XCD (older style) and New V lenses

Gentlemen: Enough already. Please. Can you all just stop? Thank you. John
  7. J

Your favourite “bang for the buck” lenses

Granted, too late now since you've moved the lens on, but this sounds like possible field curvature? My understanding is that proper shimming can help mitigate such effects, so shimming *might* have worked after all. My SK 60XL was just a bit soft at the edges when shifted, and this cleaned up...
  8. J

IQ5 rumors

I propose we leave it to Soup and his master @MGrayson (or is it the other way around) to inform us of the Nyquist limit dictated by his fur and therefore the number of pixels (or rather pixel pitch) required to resolve them sans moiré. :ROFLMAO: John
  9. J

Fun with MF images 2024

Apparitions by John Ngai, on Flickr 907x-CFV100c | XCD 3.2/90 | f/5.6 | 1/60s | ISO100 From the base of the 256 foot (78 m) tall Falls Creek Falls, the tallest waterfall in Tennessee. At my vantage point there was a fine mist enveloping me (and the camera) as a light breeze gently whipped the...
  10. J

Fun with MF images 2024

Cascade by John Ngai, on Flickr 907x-CFV100c | Zeiss 5.6/250 Superachromat | 1/20s I spent the day recently with a good friend, touring some of the waterfalls in central Tennessee. It was refreshing to get out and explore new photo opportunities. The little Hasselblad is turning out to be great...
  11. J

Computer to handle IQ180 files

I would echo others' suggestion to go for an M2 or M3 chip Mac with as much RAM as you can afford. I've been processing my IQ4 150 files, including some pretty massive stitched images (14,000 x 20,000 pixels) on my first generation M1 Macbook Pro with only 16 Gb RAM. It's a little slow when...
  12. J

IQ5 rumors

We might be saying the same thing here. My point is that when shooting at apertures (physically) smaller than f/4, the smaller pixel pitch of this theoretical sensor won’t buy you any additional resolution over the current generation sensor. Of course, what you intend to do with those pixels...
  13. J

IQ5 rumors

Good point about staying closer to the lens’s center and therefore sweet spot. However this also means a bigger enlargement factor when printing which is the primary reason why I tend to favor the larger overall sensor or film format. I’d be interested to know the crossover point where for any...
  14. J

IQ5 rumors

Fair enough. And yes, of course the images will look just fine, as they do when I use my legacy Hasselblad-Zeiss lenses on the IQ4 150 (the corollary to: increased sensor resolution will not make the image from a given lens look worse). Don't get me wrong, I never met an extra megapixel I didn't...
  15. J

IQ5 rumors

There's also the reality of physics: Unless you shoot at f/4, in terms of absolute resolving power you won't see much if any difference between the new sensor and the current IQ4 150 given that the 2.78 micron pixel pitch puts you right at Nyquist frequency (Airy disc @ f/4 = 5.3 microns). For...