The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Computer to handle IQ180 files

ilayish

Hello!

My MacBookPro 2013 has kicked the bucket at last and I'm in the market for new machine.

I've got an IQ180 and researching online it looks like people seem to be happy with Mac Mini M2 w/16gb when using GFX100 - Which I'd imagine is a not too dissimilar file size. Does anyone have any experience of using the new gen Mac Minis with IQ files?

Any help much appreciated!

Ta, Isaac

vjbelle

I have processed numerous 4150 files on an M1 chip without ever a hiccup. You will be just fine although I would purchase a little more memory.

Victor B

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I have an M1 MacBook Pro, with, granted, a lot of RAM, but I just processed an IQ160 file in real time - adjust sliders, apply sharpening or NR - all instant. Export took a few seconds. MUCH faster than the desktop I was using when I was using that back!

You'll be fine.

sjg284

Note the software package you use matters as well in this equation as they all have varying efficiencies across different CPUs / handling of RAW formats.
So you probably want to mention what your editor of choice is / search for performance feedback inclusive of using that editor.

That said, the Apple Silicon chips are great. I have an M1 Mac Studio, and the M2 Mac mini looks great. The M2 Mac Studio obviously even more performant, but maybe more than you need. Note the Studio & Mini have different capacity to drive multiple external monitors at different resolution combinations if that matters to you.

Given you held your last machine for 10 years, you may want to spec out RAM to 24gb or 32gb just for future performance capacity considering you cannot upgrade later.

Mexecutioner

Get the max 32GB of RAM it you get an M2 Pro Mini. It’s only $300 extra and the fact that you can’t upgrade later makes it a no brainer.
if you get a model other than a mini then add as much RAM as you can comfortably afford, specially if you’re planning on using this machine for several years.

ilayish

Thanks all! Super useful to know!

So I see the common knowledge is to get as much RAM as possible, but would 16gb suffice (am aware I can't upgrade a mac mini)? It's quite a big price jump.

@MGrayson, when you say a lot of RAM - Is that 32gb? (or more...?).

Last question would be (if anyone knows) what counts more, M2>M2 pro, or 16>32(or more...)gb RAM.

(I use Lightroom by the way, rather than Capture One)

Thanks again!

tenmangu81

I would suggest to choose a 32 gb RAM rather than 16, just for (near) future. The graphics capacities of the Apple Silicon chips are awesome. I have a MacBook Pro M1 14", as I travel a lot, and it is just instantaneous to process even 300 MB TIFF files.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
@MGrayson, when you say a lot of RAM - Is that 32gb? (or more...?).
I have 64GB in my laptop, but that's not primarily for photo applications. It was the "it's not upgradeable" plus "large numerical simulations" argument. My desktop is an iMac Pro with 128GB RAM and it's much slower than the laptop :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:. I really have to replace it with something, but the laptop is still so fast that I don't feel the need for an even more powerful desktop. Of course, if I *really* wanted to do heavy numerical stuff, I'd rent processors in the cloud or get a non-Mac box and learn to program GPU's. The laptop is more than enough.

Matt

Last edited:

Mexecutioner

My previous MacBook Pro (2017) had 16 gigs and dealing with the IQ4 files was painful. Got an M1 Max with 64 GB and it is very decent when working with Capture one, however when working on 16bit TIFFs in Photoshop it is barely enough. Next machine I get will be a minimum of 128GB to future proof it a little bit more.

Ai_Print

I have a MacBook Pro M3 Max with the CPU/GPU maxed out, 128GB of ram, 4TB SSD and it just devours anything I throw at it. I just had Lightroom stitching about 20 Hasselblad X2D files for a client's 36' foot wide panorama while I processed RAW files in Photoshop and uploaded a job to dropbox, all at the same time...super fast. I could not imagine less than 64GB of ram with files over 50MP.

I have a 2017 iMac Pro 128GB I am going to replace with a near fully built MacStudio M3 when they come out. You get what you pay for.

jng

I would echo others' suggestion to go for an M2 or M3 chip Mac with as much RAM as you can afford. I've been processing my IQ4 150 files, including some pretty massive stitched images (14,000 x 20,000 pixels) on my first generation M1 Macbook Pro with only 16 Gb RAM. It's a little slow when stacking and aligning images, and frankly chokes when running these larger stitched images through Topaz, but otherwise gets the job done pretty well (I'm never in that much of a hurry). Bottom line is that you'll see a huge boost in performance with any of the new silicone Macs.

John

Last edited:

daz7

80mp files are not that demanding.
Any desktop produced in the last 10 years will handle it just fine.
Obviously, the newer the gear the smoother processing will be.
With laptops, that's probably 5 years old models that would still manage it OK.

wattsy

80mp files are not that demanding.
Any desktop produced in the last 10 years will handle it just fine.
Obviously, the newer the gear the smoother processing will be.
Yes, agreed. I'm remember dealing with scanned files of a comparable in size to today's MF RAWs back in the 1990s with a comparatively tiny amount of RAM and I used to get things done then without too much fuss. The biggest step change IMO during the last ten years has been the move to SSD as default in desktops and laptops. In my experience, that has sped things up far more than increases in RAM. I had a base model 12" MacBook back in 2015 (cutdown Intel chip, single USB-C port and only 8GB RAM) that I sometimes used to process files from event jobs (Nikon D810 files) in Lightroom and it worked fine. In fact, I used it as my default portable Mac right up until about three years ago when it refused to turn on and Apple said they no longer repaired that model. I replaced it with the base model M1 MacBook Air and that is just fine and dandy too if I want to process a batch of 50MP files from my CFV 50c back.