The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Support for the Hasselblad X series in Capture One

etto72

I have been a X1D user since version 1 and despite the fact that Capture One Pro doesn't support the camera, I have used the C1 software using a hack (converting the raw files to DNGs via Phocus + using the exif editor to omit the last "d" from the world Hasselblad!)
Obviously I don't get any lens correction or specific color profile but the look of the file is still stunning and the tools are vastly superior to Phocus (which is great for being a free software!!!)
Recently Capture One announced the support for the Leica S3 which joins the Fuji GFX camera series.
Now that Phase one is not directly competing with the small medium format camera, I believe that there may be a hope for them to support the Hasselblad X series too.
It would be great if you would join me to submit your request for the X1D & 907X over here:
https://support.captureone.com/.../360013077978-Camera...
Many thanks!!
Ettore Causa
https://www.instagram.com/ettorecausa/

tcdeveau

Ah interesting they're supporting the S3. Generally ppl buying X1Ds and 907x's don't seem to be buying them over an IQ4 150, or even CPO IQ3s., so I'm not sure what their hold up is.

Unless P1 wants to get back into the 33x44mm "cropped" MFD game, Capture One may as well support the Hasselblad X system and sell some more licenses IMHO.

Paul2660

No reason they shouldn’t since Capture One is now a separate company from Phase One.

Just be more revenue for them.

Paul C

Ray Harrison

As a full on separate company they should be able to support whatever cameras they wish - and yes, more revenue! I hear that's a good thing :cool:. No reason really that they can't support even the Hasselblad H6D and more should they appear.

4*Paul

It would be great if you would join me to submit your request for the X1D & 907X over here
Done! Looking through the requests, I didn’t see many for Hasselblad so it would be good to get a few more.
Or maybe we can ask the prolific “Lily” to support us :rolleyes:

peterm1

Ettore, I’d like to try the hack for my 907x raw files. Would you mind walking me through the process and how you do it? Do you have a specific exif editor program you use? I haven’t worked with one before. Thanks!

FloatingLens

As a full on separate company they should be able to support whatever cameras they wish - and yes, more revenue! I hear that's a good thing :cool:. No reason really that they can't support even the Hasselblad H6D and more should they appear.
Rumor has it the whole 3FR support topic has been stalled by Hasselblad. If I'd indulge in speculation, it could have to do with the HNCS.

PabloR

Phase One grew as a company selling back for Hasselblad cameras. Since Hasselblad began to work with Kodak and Imacon to build their own digital backs Phase One is so angry. So the silly boy will never supper the hand who gave them the feed.

I still remember when phase one use the Klein: "open platform". Hahahaha.

Hasselblad always had Hx cameras compatible with aaaaaaall phase one and leaf backs.

Thats history.

Today? Phase One has his first reflex body generation ( a copy of H1 ). Hasselblad has the sixth, with video! and also a full electronic digital medium format system while phase one is still working on roll film based system cameras, hahaha

Phase one / capture one are not happy with Hasselblad, angry boys.

PD. For a looooooong time phase one comercial has been writing me and all the Hasselblad shooters with offers for move from Hasselblad to phase one. Forums, Facebook... not fair play guys. Hasselblad always has done as the gentleman of medium format.

And the support to Leica is only part of the war they have against Hasselblad. that's the true.

excuse my poor English,
Kind regards
Pablo

second PD. the expensive price you pay for a phase one camera is going to pay that marketing strategy: clean Hasselblad from history.

not possible :)

Phase V

If i remember Hasselblad closed the the platform and let Phase One stand in the rain so they had to switch over to Mamiya
adapt their bodys (which was a pain in the a$$) and finally came up with the XF body so they have good reason for
not supporting them. Hasselblad (or Hasselblöd as i call them) was a respected brand in the film days but that rotten body that´s left these day is just a ridiculous joke.

PabloR

they had a good reason to not support them, but still built today backs for H mount hahaha. Hasselblad was the golden eggs chicken.

That change happens, thats true. It was on H3 generation. Hasselblad mean that they were getting 6k from a camera and phase one 30k. They were doing the job and phase one were getting the money. Hasselblad just began to build their own backs with Imacon, but don't close the platform, after first H3 bodies, comes H4 generation design, with true focus and open platform body to give the chance to their customers to choose phase one backs. Not only for phase one, also other brands. That camera was H4x, also works with film backs, amazing.

But phase one was not happy of loosing all that money, Hasselblad clients money.

If that body is a rotten one, why phase one was so happy to work with them ?

Today Hasselblad has true focus II and phase one has "honey bee" haha. Just take a look of XF, is a copy of original Hasselblad H design. After XF launch, Hasselblad launched H6 body, with RAW video in 4K on 54mm backs, just amazing camera system. Not need to redesign the lenses to can offer 400Mb. 1/2000 of a sec shutters, widest lenses, fastest af lenses on medium format, first medium mirrorless camera system, and still written history records...

I guess they will move to X1D format and focus on pure digital systems, don't know if H system will see an H8, probably a H7 and no more.

Phase one is focusing on high quality cameras and technical systems, probably better as Hasselblad. Prosumers will be happy with the brand for a loooong time. H system was a perfect system for professionals, so many options. but its clear, all the film based systems ( reflex ) will disappear soon. Hasselblad knows that, let the X family grow :)

Mexecutioner

they had a good reason to not support them, but still built today backs for H mount hahaha. Hasselblad was the golden eggs chicken.

That change happens, thats true. It was on H3 generation. Hasselblad mean that they were getting 6k from a camera and phase one 30k. They were doing the job and phase one were getting the money. Hasselblad just began to build their own backs with Imacon, but don't close the platform, after first H3 bodies, comes H4 generation design, with true focus and open platform body to give the chance to their customers to choose phase one backs. Not only for phase one, also other brands. That camera was H4x, also works with film backs, amazing.

But phase one was not happy of loosing all that money, Hasselblad clients money.

If that body is a rotten one, why phase one was so happy to work with them ?

Today Hasselblad has true focus II and phase one has "honey bee" haha. Just take a look of XF, is a copy of original Hasselblad H design. After XF launch, Hasselblad launched H6 body, with RAW video in 4K on 54mm backs, just amazing camera system. Not need to redesign the lenses to can offer 400Mb. 1/2000 of a sec shutters, widest lenses, fastest af lenses on medium format, first medium mirrorless camera system, and still written history records...

I guess they will move to X1D format and focus on pure digital systems, don't know if H system will see an H8, probably a H7 and no more.

Phase one is focusing on high quality cameras and technical systems, probably better as Hasselblad. Prosumers will be happy with the brand for a loooong time. H system was a perfect system for professionals, so many options. but its clear, all the film based systems ( reflex ) will disappear soon. Hasselblad knows that, let the X family grow :)
🍿🍿🍿

davidrm

surely Hasselblad would have to provide proprietary information for Capture One to correctly process 3FR files? There is no conflict of interest with Adobe, but I doubt that there is much of a firewall between Capture One and Phase One. And proprietary info related to X system might well relate to H system as well.

so... maybe the issue is more Hasselblad and less Capture One

usm

I don’t know when c1 was separated from Phase one but after the update to c1 v20 it feels like a software that tried to be for everyone just like LR did.
Phocus doesn’t have to deal with a market.
So I’m happy there is no support for Hasselblad in c1.

PSS

Hasselblad has shared profiles with adobe, so LR has a camera profile that is (IMO) just as good as Phocus, so I would rate the raw conversions just about equal, obviously LR can do much, much more then Phocus....
phase is making higher and higher end systems which IMOare getting harder and harder to justify and now they are doing the same with C1, raising prices again, to me they are a software company at this point anyway, so I find it strange that they don't try to get Hasselblad on board as well? is Hasselblad just refusing? not sure what they would gain from that?
either way, I am not a huge fan of adobe but LRC, LR and PS are supersolid products and C1 prices are starting to make them look cheap....and Phocus is free and in all honesty its pretty good, they keep adding features and it is a solid software...and its free....
I have used C1 with my phase backs and Sonys, I haven't updated to the latest version and unless I ever get a Phase system (which I can't see myself doing again) I won't use C1 much anymore, in the end it is a capable raw converter and tether software but I have had the feeling for years that something under the hood needs to be completely re-written.....a little like LRC and LR....night and day, especially when it comes to speed....C1 hasn't done that, the added features are always nice but in the end, its still not even a DAM...and as familiar as I am with the folder structure...its also getting a little weird.....definitley one huge advantage of Phocus.....one folder, there are the files...done....

PabloR

Friend, not camera. Lens profiles.
If you think you can get better files from a Hasselblad raw in Lr just try, and compare.

Adobe makes them self profiles for all camera supported. And the profiles are good,

but once again, Hassel was the first brand ever in use Lens profiles as a part of the system.

PabloR

hasselblad-arri.jpg

When Arri designed the first 65mm ( real 54mm on digital ) format digital camera, only Hasselblad has the knowledge, system, and software needed. They wanted a duo lens+profile ready to work on that format in digital, with the best profile correction possible.

Today Zeiss has a version of the 35mm Master Primes designed for 65mm cameras. Incredible lenses. Hasselblad are not luminous ( central shutter designs ) and too sharp. So Hasselblad 65 Arri Primes are used just oftenly now.

You will find all that knowledge in Phocus applied on your raws with zero settings.

PSS

Friend, not camera. Lens profiles.
If you think you can get better files from a Hasselblad raw in Lr just try, and compare.

Adobe makes them self profiles for all camera supported. And the profiles are good,

but once again, Hassel was the first brand ever in use Lens profiles as a part of the system.
I am not concerned about lens profiles, LR has them for all my XCD lenses, they work just fine...
I am much more concerned about color and camera profiles, IMO that is the one thing that Hasselblad has over others, or at least I personally prefer how Hasselblad handles color.....
for example (for whatever reason) the Hasselblad camera profile does not work on LR mobile on iPad (which is a great app and shows how easy and fast things can be, even with 50mpix Hasselblad files) all the adobe profiles are crap (IMO) but the Hasselblad camera profile in LR and LRC are absolutely comparable to Phocus, as they should, Hasselblad worked with Adobe on those....
and of course LR has the advantage of other custom profiles like RNI which are awesome, great texture, great feel, great color.....those guys are fans of the X system and it shows.....