The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad XV Lens Adapter Questions

darr

Anyone using the Hasselblad XV Lens Adapter with 60, 80, 100, 120 or 180 lenses?
Pros and cons from user experiences would be appreciated, as well as pictures!

I may be using it on the 907x.
Thank you in advance.

Kind regards,
Darr

jng

Hi Darr,

I’ve used the 100, 120, and 180 on my X1D as well as my Phase One back - all render beautifully. My 100 rivals my tech cam lenses in terms of sharpness. I use the older 120 S-Planar for my macro images But I think the later 120 Makro-Planar is pretty close in terms of sharpness (I had one of these as well but sold it after I got the S-Planar). The native XCD lenses are amazing but quite pricey. These old V system lenses can’t be beat for the price, plus they have that Zeiss magic going on, too. 😍

John

scho

I used the 80, 100, 120, and 180 on my 907x with the XV adapter and the XH bracket for tripod mounting. Worked well with all of those lenses. Here is the 100mm mounted with the XV, XH combo.

SrMphoto

I have not used any of my V-mount lenses with the XV adapter yet. What is the reason to use them instead of the X-mount lenses?

darr

Hi Darr,

I’ve used the 100, 120, and 180 on my X1D as well as my Phase One back - all render beautifully. My 100 rivals my tech cam lenses in terms of sharpness. I use the older 120 S-Planar for my macro images But I think the later 120 Makro-Planar is pretty close in terms of sharpness (I had one of these as well but sold it after I got the S-Planar). The native XCD lenses are amazing but quite pricey. These old V system lenses can’t be beat for the price, plus they have that Zeiss magic going on, too. 😍

John
Thank you John!
I know I have seen some of your beautiful photography using this setup. :)

And yes, cost of the XCD lenses are a main consideration for me (I did purchase the 45P since it was affordable), and I do find the character of some of the V lenses appealing. I also appreciate my SK lenses with my ALPA kit for another look. Thank you again.

Kind regards,
Darr

darr

I used the 80, 100, 120, and 180 on my 907x with the XV adapter and the XH bracket for tripod mounting. Worked well with all of those lenses. Here is the 100mm mounted with the XV, XH combo.

Thank you Carl!

After I did a search on Amazon for the adapter (B&H is closed until April 5th for holiday), I found the Fotodiox Pro Lens Hasselblad V-Mount Lens to Hasselblad XCD Mount Adapter and it has a built-in tripod foot. I do think a tripod foot would be a good idea to support the setup. I do not know yet which one I may spring for. Thank you again!

Kind regards,
Darr

darr

I have not used any of my V-mount lenses with the XV adapter yet. What is the reason to use them instead of the X-mount lenses?

Hi,
I have V lenses I like to use, and I am not ready to buy XCD lenses, although I did purchase a 45P because it was affordable. I shoot an ALPA tech camera and appreciate the SK lenses with that setup, and I am not looking to replace my ALPA setup. I have been using my V lenses with a CFV50c and a 503CX, but would like to take advantage of a lighter setup and the user interface (I understand it will be electronic shutter only) with my newly acquired 907x. The adapter is inexpensive enough to try it and see if I like the setup and workflow.

Knd regards,
Darr

jng

Thank you Carl!

After I did a search on Amazon for the adapter (B&H is closed until April 5th for holiday), I found the Fotodiox Pro Lens Hasselblad V-Mount Lens to Hasselblad XCD Mount Adapter and it has a built-in tripod foot. I do think a tripod foot would be a good idea to support the setup. I do not know yet which one I may spring for. Thank you again!

Kind regards,
Darr

Hi Darr,

The Fotodiox adapter is fine but note that the foot is a bit flimsy and flexes noticeably with the bigger lenses like the 180. My solution was to wedge a trimmed down wine cork in between the adapter barrel and the foot itself. This is actually one piece of gear I've been meaning to clear out since I acquired the Hasselblad XV adapter - DM me if you're interested (wine cork included at no extra charge!).

John

Godfrey

I bought a second-hand Hasselblad XV Adapter from B&H and have used it quite a bit (along with the XH Bracket for tripod mount) with my V system lenses (50, 80, 120 macro, and 150 mm). It works very nicely. The finish is excellent, and the fit on the 907x mount is better than either of my Fotodiox Pro adapters (for Leica M and R lenses).

The only issue I've had with it is that a couple of my older extension tubes do not turn far enough on the adapter's bayonet flange to fully latch the lens mount. They're not loose or prone to coming free, but I've secured them with a little artists tape when I've used them to prevent any potential issues. My more recent production extension tubes do not have this issue.

G

darr

I bought a second-hand Hasselblad XV Adapter from B&H and have used it quite a bit (along with the XH Bracket for tripod mount) with my V system lenses (50, 80, 120 macro, and 150 mm). It works very nicely. The finish is excellent, and the fit on the 907x mount is better than either of my Fotodiox Pro adapters (for Leica M and R lenses).

The only issue I've had with it is that a couple of my older extension tubes do not turn far enough on the adapter's bayonet flange to fully latch the lens mount. They're not loose or prone to coming free, but I've secured them with a little artists tape when I've used them to prevent any potential issues. My more recent production extension tubes do not have this issue.

G
Thanks Godfrey!
I appreciate your input and have now decided I will try this setup.

Kind regards,
Darr

glaiben

Hi Darr,

The Fotodiox adapter is fine but note that the foot is a bit flimsy and flexes noticeably with the bigger lenses like the 180. My solution was to wedge a trimmed down wine cork in between the adapter barrel and the foot itself. This is actually one piece of gear I've been meaning to clear out since I acquired the Hasselblad XV adapter - DM me if you're interested (wine cork included at no extra charge!).

John
Agree 100% - I've used a Fotodiox adapter on a Nikon Z7 and removed the tripod foot because it was in the way. It was held on by 2 _very_ small screws. Hence, when looking for the 907X, I opted for the Hasselblad XV adapter & Hasselblad tripod collar. This combination is solid when used with a Hasselblad FE 250/4 + 2x Mutar.

...gregg

darr

Agree 100% - I've used a Fotodiox adapter on a Nikon Z7 and removed the tripod foot because it was in the way. It was held on by 2 _very_ small screws. Hence, when looking for the 907X, I opted for the Hasselblad XV adapter & Hasselblad tripod collar. This combination is solid when used with a Hasselblad FE 250/4 + 2x Mutar.

...gregg
Thanks Gregg!
I really appreciate your feedback.

Kind regards,
Darr

Last edited:

Photon42

The absence of a real shutter (not an approx 300ms read-out) was a deal breaker for me, but it of course depends on what you like to shoot. If nothing visibly happens within the sensor readout and you don't use flash, the V lenses are an option. Same for all other lenses short of HC lenses. The HC100 is one lens I really enjoy, as it does give me a bit a different look compared to the latest incarnation of (my) XCD lenses.

Godfrey

The absence of a real shutter (not an approx 300ms read-out) was a deal breaker for me, but it of course depends on what you like to shoot. If nothing visibly happens within the sensor readout and you don't use flash, the V lenses are an option. Same for all other lenses short of HC lenses. The HC100 is one lens I really enjoy, as it does give me a bit a different look compared to the latest incarnation of (my) XCD lenses.
There are certainly limitations to the eshutter! :D
But I've been able to get some satisfying photographs in spite of them... I use the eshutter with V system as well as Leica R lenses to complement what I can do with the XCD 21, 45, and 90.

G

aksclix

I have the XV adapter and a couple of V lenses (60-120 f4.8 and 150 f4) although they were not in your OP, I thought I'll still share.. I think the setup works well using the tripod mount.. hand holding the 60-120 takes some effort but the 150 f4 is alright weight-wise.. The images are reasonably good.. I like the 150 f4 wide open. renders nice bokeh
Here are some samples I took today.. it's got a mix of 60-120 and 150 on my X1D.. One of the image samples show the e-shutter warping issue..

Last edited:

DaveS

Here is a shot with the XV adapter and 60mm T* V lens, it is shot wide open. I bought the lens on Craigslist as a real physical beater, but the glass is great. I also bought the XV adapter used. I have used the 80 and 150 as well. Wide open they have a nice character, and stopped down they are all pretty sharp. You should enjoy the combo with the lens set you mentioned.
All set up on the XCD II.

Enjoy you new camera.

Dave0014 Garden 2020.jpg

darr

Received the XV Lens Adapter and XH bracket last week and was able to try it out this afternoon -- total fail! 😠

A lens was not recognized even though I went through the steps of making sure the lens was cocked (just like using a Flexbody), the back was in electronic mode, and I placed the lens adapter on the 907x first, then the lens, and did it three times. After it failed to recognize the 'V' lens, I placed the 45P on the 907x and had no problems taking a couple of quick cat photos 😸😼, so I am pretty sure the adapter (even though it is a dummy piece with no contacts) is at fault. It's all going back and I will be spending the money on what I initally wanted to get (an ALPA 'V' lens adapter for my TC), but since it costs a lot more, I wanted to try this first.

What I am trying to get together is the lightest weight travel kit with a mix of ALPA and Hasselblad lenses. I decided when I was looking at purchasing a Hasselblad 'V' 40mm lens that I really should just combine my ALPA and Hasselblad gear around the ALPA bodies since I have some very nice ALPA Schneider wides and the adapter I am getting is made from the Flexbody. If anyone is interested in a very nice Flexbody, I'll be putting mine up for sale once the ALPA 'V' Lens Adapter arrives.

Thank you to everyone that contributed to this thread!

Kind regards,
Darr

anyone

What I am trying to get together is the lightest weight travel kit with a mix of ALPA and Hasselblad lenses. I decided when I was looking at purchasing a Hasselblad 'V' 40mm lens that I really should just combine my ALPA and Hasselblad gear around the ALPA bodies since I have some very nice ALPA Schneider wides and the adapter I am getting is made from the Flexbody.
This is exactly what I did as well, just Cambo based.