The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad XV Lens Adapter Questions

jng

Received the XV Lens Adapter and XH bracket last week and was able to try it out this afternoon -- total fail! 😠

A lens was not recognized even though I went through the steps of making sure the lens was cocked (just like using a Flexbody), the back was in electronic mode, and I placed the lens adapter on the 907x first, then the lens, and did it three times. After it failed to recognize the 'V' lens, I placed the 45P on the 907x and had no problems taking a couple of quick cat photos 😸😼, so I am pretty sure the adapter (even though it is a dummy piece with no contacts) is at fault. It's all going back and I will be spending the money on what I initally wanted to get (an ALPA 'V' lens adapter for my TC), but since it costs a lot more, I wanted to try this first.

What I am trying to get together is the lightest weight travel kit with a mix of ALPA and Hasselblad lenses. I decided when I was looking at purchasing a Hasselblad 'V' 40mm lens that I really should just combine my ALPA and Hasselblad gear around the ALPA bodies since I have some very nice ALPA Schneider wides and the adapter I am getting is made from the Flexbody. If anyone is interested in a very nice Flexbody, I'll be putting mine up for sale once the ALPA 'V' Lens Adapter arrives.

Thank you to everyone that contributed to this thread!

Kind regards,
Darr
Hi Darr,

Hmmmmm. Based on my experience with the X1D, I just switch to electronic shutter mode and I'm off to the races with my adapted lenses using the electonic shutter. Unless the 907 requires you to indicate that there's no lens mounted (as with the Fuji GFX series, from what I understand), it should work similarly - i.e., there's no recognition of the lens per se. I know that Godfrey and others have been using adapted V system lenses on the 907. I'd hold off on returning the adapter and tripod foot until others here have had a chance to help you troubleshoot.

John

lensbian

I purchased a used one from a major photo equipment retailer and it too was faulty. I did everything the 907x instruction manual said to do and my software was up to date. There is clearly something wrong with a batch of them.

Godfrey

Received the XV Lens Adapter and XH bracket last week and was able to try it out this afternoon -- total fail! 😠

A lens was not recognized even though I went through the steps of making sure the lens was cocked (just like using a Flexbody), the back was in electronic mode, and I placed the lens adapter on the 907x first, then the lens, and did it three times. After it failed to recognize the 'V' lens, I placed the 45P on the 907x and had no problems taking a couple of quick cat photos 😸😼, so I am pretty sure the adapter (even though it is a dummy piece with no contacts) is at fault. It's all going back and I will be spending the money on what I initally wanted to get (an ALPA 'V' lens adapter for my TC), but since it costs a lot more, I wanted to try this first.

What I am trying to get together is the lightest weight travel kit with a mix of ALPA and Hasselblad lenses. I decided when I was looking at purchasing a Hasselblad 'V' 40mm lens that I really should just combine my ALPA and Hasselblad gear around the ALPA bodies since I have some very nice ALPA Schneider wides and the adapter I am getting is made from the Flexbody. If anyone is interested in a very nice Flexbody, I'll be putting mine up for sale once the ALPA 'V' Lens Adapter arrives.

Thank you to everyone that contributed to this thread!

Kind regards,
Darr
I'm not sure what mean by "not recognized", darr. The XV Adapter is a dumb mount adapter: Using the 907x, you set the back/body to eshutter mode, fit whatever lens you want to the adapter with the lens shutter cocked, and manually stop down the iris. That's it. Making an exposure means telling the back to make an exposure, it has nothing to do with the lens; you just by pressing the 907x shutter release, the back performs an electronic capture, the lens shutter is inert. It's not like using a Flexbody at all, because the Flexbody uses the the lens shutter. There's no way to trip a V-system lens's shutter on the 907x body with the XV adapter.

I don't think anything failed at all; I think you simply didn't expect what was going to happen correctly. If you want to record an exposure with a V-system lens and its lens shutter onto a CFVII50c back, you fit the back to a Hasselblad 500, 200, or Flexbody, put the lens on the body, connect up the cable (on Flexbody) for shutter synchronization to the back, and go make exposures. That is not what the XV Adapter is for; the XV Adapter lets you use your V-system lenses in full eshutter mode on 907x and X1D bodies.

I made a simple video just now showing how to fit the 907x body to the XV Adapter, set the eshutter mode, fit a V-system lens to the XV Adapter, and then make a couple of exposures.

G

Last edited:

FloatingLens

Based on my experience with the X1D, I just switch to electronic shutter mode and I'm off to the races with my adapted lenses using the electonic shutter.
Either that or just change the Camera Type from 500 to Any (Electronic Shutter), which is much more sensible IMHO because it changes behavior of the back all together (with more potential options in the future).

In other words,
  • Any (Electronic Shutter or Flash Sync) needs to be chosen if you cannot rely on the full mechanical coupling of the original V system cameras.
  • Any (Flash Sync), if the mechanical pin from the 500/200 series bodies is missing and you have lens with built-in shutter and shutter cable available.
The approach with camera body selection that Hasselblad came up with makes full sense to me, you just need to know XV Adapter = Any (Electronic Shutter) due to reasons given above.

Godfrey

Either that or just change the Camera Type from 500 to Any (Electronic Shutter), which is much more sensible IMHO because it changes behavior of the back all together (with more potential options in the future).

In other words,
  • Any (Electronic Shutter or Flash Sync) needs to be chosen if you cannot rely on the full mechanical coupling of the original V system cameras.
  • Any (Flash Sync), if the mechanical pin from the 500/200 series bodies is missing and you have lens with built-in shutter and shutter cable available.
The approach with camera body selection that Hasselblad came up with makes full sense to me, you just need to know XV Adapter = Any (Electronic Shutter) due to reasons given above.
FloatingLens:

- The XV Adapter tube is designed to work with the 907x or X1D series cameras only. It allows use of V system lenses on the X system bodies.

- You can't change the camera type on the CFVII 50c back when it is connected to the 907x ... the interface is completely electronic and informed by the 907x body stub. You can only switch the shutter operation to "electronic shutter" as I showed in the video. You can change the camera type on the back when the back is fitted to a Hasselblad SLR, Flexbody, or other technical camera configuration.

The options you list above are the options for use of the back only with Hasselblad SLR cameras, or Flexbody, or technical cameras. They are not apropos for the 907x.

G

onasj

Darr, I also love my tiny Alpa TC and have a set of V lenses I like. For me the key piece was a Litz Studio Alpa-to-V leaf shutter adapter (which you can get from Litz’s eBay store). It sounds like that’s the adapter you might be getting already. The maker is a terrific and highly skilled machinist in South Korea. All your V lenses with leaf shutter will work. He even made me a 17 mm shorter adapter so I could use my Alpa tilt spacer, so now I can use any V lens with its leaf shutter on an Alpa body and a Phase One or Hasselblad back. You can even turn an inexpensive Nikon cable release into a one-shot release that wakes up the back and triggers the leaf shutter on the V lenses, as I documented here:

FloatingLens

FloatingLens:

- The XV Adapter tube is designed to work with the 907x or X1D series cameras only. It allows use of V system lenses on the X system bodies.

- You can't change the camera type on the CFVII 50c back when it is connected to the 907x ... the interface is completely electronic and informed by the 907x body stub. You can only switch the shutter operation to "electronic shutter" as I showed in the video. You can change the camera type on the back when the back is fitted to a Hasselblad SLR, Flexbody, or other technical camera configuration.

The options you list above are the options for use of the back only with Hasselblad SLR cameras, or Flexbody, or technical cameras. They are not apropos for the 907x.

G
You‘re right, Godfrey! I mixed it up, post above to be ignored (it belongs into an imaginary CFV II 50c thread 😅).

darr

Hi Darr,

Hmmmmm. Based on my experience with the X1D, I just switch to electronic shutter mode and I'm off to the races with my adapted lenses using the electonic shutter. Unless the 907 requires you to indicate that there's no lens mounted (as with the Fuji GFX series, from what I understand), it should work similarly - i.e., there's no recognition of the lens per se. I know that Godfrey and others have been using adapted V system lenses on the 907. I'd hold off on returning the adapter and tripod foot until others here have had a chance to help you troubleshoot.

John

Thanks John. We did have a conversation via PM regarding this, and the adapter went back to the retailer due to it not working properly. I went ahead and purchased the ALPA-Hasslblad lens adapter by Litz-Studio.

Best to you,
Darr

darr

I'm not sure what mean by "not recognized", darr. The XV Adapter is a dumb mount adapter: Using the 907x, you set the back/body to eshutter mode, fit whatever lens you want to the adapter with the lens shutter cocked, and manually stop down the iris. That's it. Making an exposure means telling the back to make an exposure, it has nothing to do with the lens; you just by pressing the 907x shutter release, the back performs an electronic capture, the lens shutter is inert. It's not like using a Flexbody at all, because the Flexbody uses the the lens shutter. There's no way to trip a V-system lens's shutter on the 907x body with the XV adapter.

I don't think anything failed at all; I think you simply didn't expect what was going to happen correctly. If you want to record an exposure with a V-system lens and its lens shutter onto a CFVII50c back, you fit the back to a Hasselblad 500, 200, or Flexbody, put the lens on the body, connect up the cable (on Flexbody) for shutter synchronization to the back, and go make exposures. That is not what the XV Adapter is for; the XV Adapter lets you use your V-system lenses in full eshutter mode on 907x and X1D bodies.

I made a simple video just now showing how to fit the 907x body to the XV Adapter, set the eshutter mode, fit a V-system lens to the XV Adapter, and then make a couple of exposures.

G

Godfrey,

Sorry for the late reply, but out of town and off the grid!

I never expected the setup to work like the Flexbody, as the Flexbody is a tech camera with completely different setup requirements. I said "... I went through the steps of making sure the lens was cocked (just like using a Flexbody)," the lens was cocked in the correct position like it must also be when putting a V lens on a Flexbody.

I used the steps outlined in the 907x manual (pages 150 & 111), but the digital back did not recognize the lens. I went through the steps three times, and I did not try a different lens because there is nothing wrong with the lens mount of the lens I tried. Should I have tried another lens? No! If the adapter is that finicky, it is not worth my time when another option is available. I remember you posted your XV adapter had to go in for repair because of a lens/extender mount issue in the "Fun with 907x" thread, and I have also read other photographers having problems. These adapters are known for faults, and IMO the build quality could be improved. After packing it up to ship back, a soft rattle could be heard from the package. I have no idea what it was, but I am glad it went back as I have a better solution for my needs on order.

Thank you for your suggestions and for posting the video as it may help someone that chooses not to read the manual.

Best to you,
Darr

darr

In other words,
Tried, but changing camera type is not accessible when using 907x.

darr

Darr, I also love my tiny Alpa TC and have a set of V lenses I like. For me the key piece was a Litz Studio Alpa-to-V leaf shutter adapter (which you can get from Litz’s eBay store). It sounds like that’s the adapter you might be getting already. The maker is a terrific and highly skilled machinist in South Korea. All your V lenses with leaf shutter will work. He even made me a 17 mm shorter adapter so I could use my Alpa tilt spacer, so now I can use any V lens with its leaf shutter on an Alpa body and a Phase One or Hasselblad back. You can even turn an inexpensive Nikon cable release into a one-shot release that wakes up the back and triggers the leaf shutter on the V lenses, as I documented here:
onasj,

I did order the Litz adapter after I realized the build quality of XV adapter is not what I want (maybe Cambo's version is better). Litz Studio sent me photos prior to shipping the adapter as he replaced the knob with a newer improved version and enclosed shims if needed. Another contributor in this thread told me via PM their Litz adapter "lives" on their ALPA, and I understand why. I was not really happy about only being able to shoot with electronic shutter as it is useless in the studio (a lot of my shooting needs), and where I shoot in the environment, it can get a bit windy since I live minutes from the Gulf of Mexico. All in all, the Litz adapter is better for my needs, but I was trying to be economical and paid the price in the long run. I am sure the XV adapter is a great choice for the right photographer, but my needs are a bit more. I am disappointed in the build quality, but others may not be.

Thank you for posting the link to the build for the Nikon one-shot release cable. Even though I shoot primarily with a Hasselblad back, I also shoot with a P45 as a backup. For now, my ALPA cables work fine, but for future reference this is golden!

Kind regards,
Darr

darr

I received the Litz Hasselblad adapter today and wanted to update this thread in case interested parties want to see the adapter if you are shooting an ALPA camera.

A big advantage for me when shooting a digital back on an ALPA is the ease of switching from landscape to portrait orientation. Because the ALPA system is based on a square design, the lens and back adapters can be switched around to orient from any of the sides. Another advantage is being able to have an adapter that works as the Flexbody where you can utilize the leaf shutter of the Hasselblad V lenses. For some photographers that is not necessary, but for others like myself, being able to use the Hasselblad lenses in the studio is a must, plus using such techniques as "dragging the shutter" for mixing flash with ambient, can be an added creative tool to have.

When shooting a technical camera, you focus via ground glass or Live View and that is how the Flexbody works as well. A big advantage to using the Flexbody is how you can view the image on the ground glass or Live View without having to set the lens on "B" or "T" without having to use the shutter release cable. This is a great convenience when you want to take your time focusing and composing the image. You can also see the image through your desired aperture by setting the aperture preview tab on your lens. When you are ready to make the image, you use a cable release to click through a two stage process. Pressing the shutter release cable lightly begins 'Stage One' which simply closes the leaf shutter. This is useful if you need to wait for the right moment or are concerned for camera movement, etc. When you are ready to take the shot, push the shutter cable again (Stage Two) and now the shot is made. When ready to make the next image, you simply turn the knob and you can begin composing/focusing and the lens is ready to cycle through the stages once again.

If you have been using a 501CM (have to hold the shutter cable in) or a 503CX ("T" mode - but cannot have a shutter release cable in the socket) like me, this is a welcome return to how I shoot with a Flexbody, but on my ALPA camera.

The Litz adapter is very well constructed and works flawlessly and smoothly. I have no regrets on my purchase, just wish I had done it sooner. After I have used it for a month or so, I will do a write up on my site and link to it. Below are a few quick photos of a test shot and the adapter after I received it.

Again, thank you to everyone that contributed to this thread. Your kindness and patience is always appreciated!

Best wishes,
Darr

Litz Adapter on SWA

Hasselblad 180 CFi (the longest lens I currently have).

Studio Test Shot w/180 CFi + shutter drag for added warmness (just a demo).

Last edited:

onasj

I agree completely with Darr. The Litz Studio adapter is a dream for Alpa users who also have V lenses and works very well, is very well made, and looks good to boot.

Litz Studio will also make you a "SB 17" version of the Alpa-V adapter that allows you to use a 17-mm Alpa tilt adapter so you can add tilt to your images, which is very useful for most photographs I'm finding since it allows you to (effectively) deepen or shrink the depth-of-focus on the subject without changing the aperture value.

Godfrey

Hi Darr,

Hmm. My 907x manual only has 112 pages in it, and my CFVII 50c manual only has 118 pages in it. And I don't see any instruction on using the XV Adapter at all, just an accessory listing for it... ????

As I asked earlier, what do you mean by "recognize the lens"? The XV Adapter is a dumb tube with no electronics in it ... How could the body actually recognize anything put on it? There's *no* connection to the 907x other than the mechanical lens mounting flanges; the back does not recognize the lens. You just set the back to "eshutter" mode and it turns on live view when you half press the shutter release. You fit a lens and it just sits there ... you set a focus, stop down the aperture, and set the aperture. You make all the ISO and exposure time settings on the back, manually. What lens is on the tube is irrelevant, the body and back do not care.. The tube is not finicky at all: it just does nothing but hold the lens and body at the correct distance, in optical alignment. That's it.

I know you have another solution to use your lenses on the Alpa now with the CFVII50C back, but that's a completely different thing to using the XV Adapter tube on the 907x body with the CFVII50C back. I've never even seen an Alpa (other than in pictures) so I have no idea how that and the adapter you bought works. :)

G

Godfrey,

Sorry for the late reply, but out of town and off the grid!

I never expected the setup to work like the Flexbody, as the Flexbody is a tech camera with completely different setup requirements. I said "... I went through the steps of making sure the lens was cocked (just like using a Flexbody)," the lens was cocked in the correct position like it must also be when putting a V lens on a Flexbody.

I used the steps outlined in the 907x manual (pages 150 & 111), but the digital back did not recognize the lens. I went through the steps three times, and I did not try a different lens because there is nothing wrong with the lens mount of the lens I tried. Should I have tried another lens? No! If the adapter is that finicky, it is not worth my time when another option is available. I remember you posted your XV adapter had to go in for repair because of a lens/extender mount issue in the "Fun with 907x" thread, and I have also read other photographers having problems. These adapters are known for faults, and IMO the build quality could be improved. After packing it up to ship back, a soft rattle could be heard from the package. I have no idea what it was, but I am glad it went back as I have a better solution for my needs on order.

Thank you for your suggestions and for posting the video as it may help someone that chooses not to read the manual.

Best to you,
Darr

darr

Hi Darr,

Hmm. My 907x manual only has 112 pages in it, and my CFVII 50c manual only has 118 pages in it. And I don't see any instruction on using the XV Adapter at all, just an accessory listing for it... ????
I have attached pages #150 and #111 of the 907X-50C-User-Guide_en I am currently using.

As I asked earlier, what do you mean by "recognize the lens"? The XV Adapter is a dumb tube with no electronics in it ... How could the body actually recognize anything put on it? There's *no* connection to the 907x other than the mechanical lens mounting flanges; the back does not recognize the lens. You just set the back to "eshutter" mode and it turns on live view when you half press the shutter release. You fit a lens and it just sits there ... you set a focus, stop down the aperture, and set the aperture. You make all the ISO and exposure time settings on the back, manually. What lens is on the tube is irrelevant, the body and back do not care.. The tube is not finicky at all: it just does nothing but hold the lens and body at the correct distance, in optical alignment. That's it.
I understand. Maybe I just got it wrong. I have no problems using an adapter with my Fuji cameras and an old Nikon AI-S lens. Maybe my particular 907x has a software glitch. I do not know, but it is behind me now. I appreciate your persistence, but let's just leave it here, okay?

I know you have another solution to use your lenses on the Alpa now with the CFVII50C back, but that's a completely different thing to using the XV Adapter tube on the 907x body with the CFVII50C back. I've never even seen an Alpa (other than in pictures) so I have no idea how that and the adapter you bought works. :)

G
I have been using tech cameras since the start of my commercial career in the early '80s. When I began my digital transition it was with a Nikon D200. Shortly after that, I bought my first MFD tech camera, an Arca Swiss ML2, but I eventually made the switch to ALPA. I decided ALPA was a better solution for my needs for a few reasons, one being the ability to utilize the Hasselblad gear I already owned (magazines and viewfinders). You will not meet a photographer that enjoys Hasselblad equipment more than me (okay maybe YOU with their Space memorabilia 👩🏻‍🚀). I made a lot of my living using V cameras and I am a devoted fangirl for sure!

I have only tested the 907x with a 45P lens in my backyard (been very busy lately). It was the first time I have ever used autofocus on a MF camera. The files look sharp enough for me to see if it can be my walk around MF camera. I hope so because my needs for shooting MFD are more with tech cameras as I shoot mostly in the studio (for work) than I ever do outside, but I am trying to do more MFD camera work outside these days. Even though I am sure the XCD 21 lens would be nice to own, I am sticking with my ALPA wides (SK 28/5.6 and SK 35/5.6) until further notice. I had no plans on upgrading as you may already know, but I am not disappointed either.

In closing I want to say: I do not mean to discourage anyone from buying the XV adapter, just voicing my personal experience. If I made a mistake in my evaluation, please forgive me as there is always that possibility. I want Hasselblad to stay in business and will always support their products so long as I feel their quality equals the price and my own personal user experience is positive. I do know their service has been excellent as I received a shipping tracking number for my repaired CFV50c today! Way to go Hasselblad!

Best to you,
Darr

Attachments

Godfrey

Hi Darr,

Just checked ... discrepancy in page numbers and numbers of pages are because I have the 907x/CFVII 50c Special Edition docs on my iPad Pro (was on travel when I wrote that) and they're slightly different from the standard edition 907x/CFVII 50c docs.. :D

After looking at the quoted sections of the pages, well, there's nothing implied there that the back or 907x is going to "recognize" a V-system lens. It says specifically in the accessory section that "Lens corrections for V System lenses are available with Phocus version 3.4 or later. Note that they have to be manually selected" (in Phocus). There's nothing wrong with your 907x/CFVII 50c, or the adapter you had... But 'nuff said on that. :)

I have only tested the 907x with a 45P lens in my backyard (been very busy lately). It was the first time I have ever used autofocus on a MF camera. The files look sharp enough for me to see if it can be my walk around MF camera. I hope so because my needs for shooting MFD are more with tech cameras as I shoot mostly in the studio (for work) than I ever do outside, but I am trying to do more MFD camera work outside these days. Even though I am sure the XCD 21 lens would be nice to own, I am sticking with my ALPA wides (SK 28/5.6 and SK 35/5.6) until further notice. I had no plans on upgrading as you may already know, but I am not disappointed either. ...
All good! :D

I still hardly use AF at all. I'd rather use focus magnification and focus manually...

I'd never heard of the term "technical camera" until sometime after the world of digital cameras came about. I and my friends always referred to such things as 'studio cameras' or 'view cameras'. Perhaps my photographic community just wasn't in the right niche.. I wonder when the term actually came about. It's a point of minor curiosity.. I am curious about maybe acquiring a Flexbody to work with, at some point.

But for the present, and since my 907x SE just returned from being analyzed and passed for "fine", it's time to just get back to some shooting and using it. And I think it's rolling up on when Dave Odess should be shipping my A16 back to me as well... I'm likely going to shave down my kit somewhat over the next year to concentrate more fully on the Hasselblad X and V gear as I seem to get my best photos with it nowadays, whether because of the gear itself or because I just enjoy using it more.

Onwards!

G

SrMphoto

Hi Darr,

Just checked ... discrepancy in page numbers and numbers of pages are because I have the 907x/CFVII 50c Special Edition docs on my iPad Pro (was on travel when I wrote that) and they're slightly different from the standard edition 907x/CFVII 50c docs.. :D

After looking at the quoted sections of the pages, well, there's nothing implied there that the back or 907x is going to "recognize" a V-system lens. It says specifically in the accessory section that "Lens corrections for V System lenses are available with Phocus version 3.4 or later. Note that they have to be manually selected" (in Phocus). There's nothing wrong with your 907x/CFVII 50c, or the adapter you had... But 'nuff said on that. :)

All good! :D

I still hardly use AF at all. I'd rather use focus magnification and focus manually...

I'd never heard of the term "technical camera" until sometime after the world of digital cameras came about. I and my friends always referred to such things as 'studio cameras' or 'view cameras'. Perhaps my photographic community just wasn't in the right niche.. I wonder when the term actually came about. It's a point of minor curiosity.. I am curious about maybe acquiring a Flexbody to work with, at some point.

But for the present, and since my 907x SE just returned from being analyzed and passed for "fine", it's time to just get back to some shooting and using it. And I think it's rolling up on when Dave Odess should be shipping my A16 back to me as well... I'm likely going to shave down my kit somewhat over the next year to concentrate more fully on the Hasselblad X and V gear as I seem to get my best photos with it nowadays, whether because of the gear itself or because I just enjoy using it more.

Onwards!

G
Hasselblad calls now 907X and CFV II 50C their V-System, while XCD lenses and X1D cameras are called the X-System. The 5xx cameras and V-mount lenses are apparently the classic V-system. Confusing, IMO.

Reactions: elm

docholliday

"View Cam" was the term for a large format camera in general. It had subdivisions of "field cam", which were typically wooden cameras with less movements and lighter along with "tech cam" or "monorail" which was the studio cameras with full movements.

Hasselblad calls now 907X and CFV II 50C their V-System, while XCD lenses and X1D cameras are called the X-System. The 5xx cameras and V-mount lenses are apparently the classic V-system. Confusing, IMO.
There's no rhyme or reason anymore to the systems, especially considering the X-system was a 35mm pano (XPan). Originally, the systems were named by the lens mount.

The V-system was 500/200/2000/900 series cameras and H system is actually correct. They are calling the 907X a part of the V system because of the back theoretically. But, the body is nothing more than a 900 series with an interchangeable lens that is a whole different mount than both V and X (and the X-system has nothing to do with the original Fuji XPan!). They really should've called the new mirrorless system something completely different, like the M system, but then people'd confuse that with Leica somehow.

lensbian

Darr,
I had the same issue with my adapter. You seem like a very understanding person! Not a lot of that going on today. 😉 Glad you found a better alternative.
JR