The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

It is Finally Here, 907x 100c

rdeloe

I see you have moved up from Tim Hortons!
Tim Hortons? Good Sir, if the beans have not passed through the intestinal tract of a Civet Cat, I am not consuming the beverage! (OK, to be fair, if I'm travelling I will accept beans that have passed through a Raccoon.)

Doppler9000

Tim Hortons? Good Sir, if the beans have not passed through the intestinal tract of a Civet Cat, I am not consuming the beverage! (OK, to be fair, if I'm travelling I will accept beans that have passed through a Raccoon.)
I shudder to think where coffee and raccoons co-habitate.

Godfrey

Coffee and raccoons?
Um, uh ... LCC? Does it stand for "Lens Cast Correction" or something else?

I wrote software to do that sort of thing on false color RGB composites of SAR data about 40 years ago. I wonder if I can dredge up my old FORTRAN code... LOL!

G

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Coffee and raccoons?
Um, uh ... LCC? Does it stand for "Lens Cast Correction" or something else?

I wrote software to do that sort of thing on false color RGB composites of SAR data about 40 years ago. I wonder if I can dredge up my old FORTRAN code... LOL!

G
I REALLY want a punched card reader for my laptop.

anwarp

Frame averaging is one of the simplest computations in all of photo processing. You need one buffer, and then each exposure requires only two multiplications and one addition per pixel. And you don't even have to know how many frames you will end up taking. I'm amazed that it isn't more common - unless it's an IP issue.
There might be IP issues, but I suspect it’s also compute bound.
You need something like an FPGA that can be set up with many compute units to do that. The CPU would struggle to handle 1e8 16 bit numbers every couple of hundred milliseconds.
Interleave memory refresh cycles, updating UI, etc. I’m sure @buildbot will have a more informed answer.

richardman

That's FMA, fused multiple and add. Perfect for those vector processing units, but they probably run too hot in a camera, so more likely custom ASIC

buildbot

There might be IP issues, but I suspect it’s also compute bound.
You need something like an FPGA that can be set up with many compute units to do that. The CPU would struggle to handle 1e8 16 bit numbers every couple of hundred milliseconds.
Interleave memory refresh cycles, updating UI, etc. I’m sure @buildbot will have a more informed answer.
1e8 16 bit numbers actually not that much to a CPU even, frame averaging is a simple op, basically just accumulate then a final divide. So roughly 200 Megaflops. A modern ARM CPU similar to the IQ4 CPU has something like 30 gflops of vector processing ability, no need for an FPGA core. An IQ4 still has both a reasonably strong CPU for the time and an FPGA.

That's FMA, fused multiple and add. Perfect for those vector processing units, but they probably run too hot in a camera, so more likely custom ASIC
Most FPGAs and CPUs these days have FMA instructions that would be the same performance as an ASIC, roughly. The trick is if you need to move a lot of data around or do other things, then an ASIC might make sense. The IQ4 is based on a Xilinx (now owned by AMD) Zync MPSoC, which combines a medium sized FPGA with a few ARM cores. This combo design is perfect for small run cameras, as you can build your interface logic in FPGA gateware and then the image processing and UI in the CPU cores, sharing the image data in memory, reducing the amount if data you have to shoot around.

mristuccia

I really liked the Alpa plugin, but unfortunately it doesn't work in the most recent versions of Photoshop. It would be great if Alpa updates it.
If you have an Apple Silicon machine, there is a trick. Just find the Photoshop app under Applications, and set it to open with Rosetta:

Screenshot 2024-01-31 at 22.34.45.jpg

Screenshot 2024-01-31 at 22.35.37.jpg

Then, the first time you open the plugin you need to authorise the app in the macOS Settings "Privacy & Securiy" panel.
You need to do this for both "ALPALensautomation.plugin" and "ALPALensfilter.plugin".

Running with Rosetta will slow down Photoshop, as it runs in Intel emulation mode. So I set the "Open using Rosetta" flag only when I need to use the ALPA plugin, or any other old Intel-based plugin.

Paul Spinnler

The profiles in C1 are the same. They were made by the same people who did the plugin for Alpa. Why do you want to use the PS variant? Anything different, missing?

mristuccia

The profiles in C1 are the same. They were made by the same people who did the plugin for Alpa. Why do you want to use the PS variant? Anything different, missing?
C1 with an Hasselblad raw file? Or with a TIFF file exported by Phocus? I don't think C1 can read Hasselblad RAW files nor apply lens profiles to a TIFF file.
Am I missing something here?

Paul Spinnler

C1 with an Hasselblad raw file? Or with a TIFF file exported by Phocus? I don't think C1 can read Hasselblad RAW files nor apply lens profiles to a TIFF file.
Am I missing something here?
The distortion correction profiles ... the C1 distortion correction tool was programmed by the same guys who did it for Alpa.

Alpa's tool was for a while a great marketing tool solidifying them as the choice for the uncompromising photographers.

Today everything is already in C1.

Last edited:

mristuccia

The distortion correction profiles ... the C1 distortion correction tool was programmed by the same guys who did it for Alpa.

Alpa's tool was for a while a great marketing tool solidifying them as the choice for the uncompromising photographers.

Today everything is already in C1.
I'm sorry but I think you've not answered my question. How can I use the C1 distortion correction tool with an Hasselblad file? I'd be happy to use C1 instead of the PS ALPA plugin. :)

Paul Spinnler

I'm sorry but I think you've not answered my question. How can I use the C1 distortion correction tool with an Hasselblad file? I'd be happy to use C1 instead of the PS ALPA plugin. :)
That's why I asked – I wasn't sure what the reason is to use the Alpa tool if you have C1 and need to run PS in rosetta as a result. But of course if you have access to profiles in that tool which aren't in C1 then it makes sense.

I used it many years ago, but am now on C1 100% of the time which covers Leica and Rodenstock. Didn't catch that you come from the Hassy side.

guphotography

You cannot use FFF files in C1, but if you export it as DNG through Phocus, then edit exif info, change camera maker "Hasselblad" to anything else, you can then open the file in C1.