The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

2022 Nikon Predictions and Expectations

Darin Marcus

2022 is finally upon us, and it appears that Nikon entered the new year on a high note. They are scrambling to fill all the preorders for their recently released camera and lenses, and it looks like that may take a while, since they are selling everything that they are able to produce.

This takes place during a time of component shortages that are forcing Nikon, as well as other photo equipment manufacturers, to temporarily stop production for some current cameras/lenses/accessories, and very likely to delay the announcement/release of new equipment.

Taking all that into consideration, what do you think Nikon will announce/release during 2022?
I am splitting this into expectations (things that you are interested in, and will likely try/own), and general predictions for things that may not interest you, at least for now :)

In my case, photography is not a business but a hobby, and all my bags are full now (I had to buy a new one in 2021…), covering all my current needs and then some, so I am not looking for any new equipment in 2022.

In term of predictions, I think the Z9 will continue to sell pretty well during 2022, and Nikon will not do anything that may stop that for as long as possible – that means no new high-performance FF camera announced in 2022. The Z7 II and Z6 II will also not be replaced during 2022 but will receive a few firmware updates that will further improve their performance and capabilities.

To recover Z9 R&D costs, especially due to its lower than expected price, Nikon will have to reuse technologies in other cameras, but for 2022 I think that will only happen in a Z90. A Zf based on the Z5 is also a strong possibility. Not sure about a Z8 or an entry level Z30.

In terms of lenses, I am not interested in any of the unreleased Z lenses from the current roadmap. But Nikon might get my attention with a “surprise” lens that I did not know I need :D. For now, I am only aware of some extremely vague rumors about new "lines" of lenses and proposed lenses that are quite intriguing and would represent new "firsts." (https://www.zsystemuser.com/nikon-z-system-news-and/nikkor-rumblings.html)

As for DSLRs and F mount lenses… 👼

tcdeveau

I’m pretty much just looking forward to my Z9 order getting fulfilled at some point.

No idea when that might be but I may look at placing a second order with a smaller shop and seeing what happens if it doesn’t ship in the next 2-3 weeks (I ordered from B&H within two minutes of preorders opening up).

In 2022 I’d like to see a 85 1.2 from them…a development announcement for a native 200 f2 and 180-400 + TC would also be nice :)

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I am looking forward to a decent FW update for my Z7II and maybe the 100-400.

WRT Z8 I can wait as long as that Z7II FW update does what I expect.

Darin Marcus

I've seen that Yodobashi notice, and I am not quite sure what to make of it - are they saying that if someone places an order now, they will not get their Z9 until October 2022?
I find it hard to believe that they will not get a single Z9 until then (for the preorders)... From what I'm reading in other places, here in the US stores are receiving small deliveries periodically - for example a new batch is apparently expected this week (although that will mostly go to NPS preorders).

Darin Marcus

No idea when that might be but I may look at placing a second order with a smaller shop and seeing what happens if it doesn’t ship in the next 2-3 weeks (I ordered from B&H within two minutes of preorders opening up).
I always order new Nikon equipment from my local camera store. They do get their fair share of NPS reservations for hot items, but if you are a "loyal" customer, they'll (try to) find a way to squeeze you in :D

In 2022 I’d like to see a 85 1.2 from them…a development announcement for a native 200 f2 and 180-400 + TC would also be nice :)
I definitely believe the 85 1.2 will come this year.

tcdeveau

I always order new Nikon equipment from my local camera store. They do get their fair share of NPS reservations for hot items, but if you are a "loyal" customer, they'll (try to) find a way to squeeze you in :D
You’re lucky you have a local Nikon dealer, I’m in the not exactly so small city of Atlanta and all the local shops for Nikon are gone. AFAIK my local Nikon dealer has been Best Buy for awhile :(

KeithL

My needs are simple. I expect to be using my Z7 bodies and existing Z mount lenses for years to come. For the moment at least and equipment wise, about the only thing that would excite me would be if Voigtlander were to release their VM lens range in Z mount.

I know, this says more about me and my requirements than it does about the typical Nikon Z customer.

k-hawinkler

Darin Marcus

As for what I am looking forward to, a Z mount 105mm 1.4, 24 and 45 PCe lenses and maybe a Z mount replacement for my 200-500 5.6 but that is about it really.
I am curious to see which Nikon lens will be the first 1.4 in the Z mount.

They seem to have chosen 1.2 instead of 1.4 so far, and many are looking forward to the 85 1.2 that should be released this year. For longer focal lengths like 105 however, 1.2 might be less “practical” so they could switch back to 1.4, although I believe people will get used to bigger sizes if the lenses are lighter…

Will they replace the F mount 105 1.4 (which works so well adapted) with a Z mount version soon, or will they come up with a 125/135mm f/1.4 in Z mount instead? Remains to be seen, but I expect the competition between brands to increase more in the lens realm than in the camera space, and as a result new and interesting lens designs will show up.

Darin Marcus

With only 2 weeks left in 2022 and a very small chance that Nikon announces anything new before 2023, I'm looking back at my predictions/expectations to see what I got right and what I got wrong :)

In my case, photography is not a business but a hobby, and all my bags are full now (I had to buy a new one in 2021…), covering all my current needs and then some, so I am not looking for any new equipment in 2022.
This one I got right - I have not purchased anything from Nikon in 2022. In fact, I have not purchased anything related to photography in 2022 (unless renewing my Lightroom subscription counts here...). I still have the same bags I had at the beginning of the year, and they are just as full as they were then.

In term of predictions, I think the Z9 will continue to sell pretty well during 2022, and Nikon will not do anything that may stop that for as long as possible – that means no new high-performance FF camera announced in 2022. The Z7 II and Z6 II will also not be replaced during 2022 but will receive a few firmware updates that will further improve their performance and capabilities.
This part I got almost right. The Z9 sold very well, and it took almost the full year to clear the preorder lists and be available in stores.
There was no high-performance FF camera announced in 2022.
The Z7 II and Z6 II were not replaced during 2022. However, they only received relatively minor firmware upgrades, not the performance/capabilities improvements everyone expected...

To recover Z9 R&D costs, especially due to its lower than expected price, Nikon will have to reuse technologies in other cameras, but for 2022 I think that will only happen in a Z90. A Zf based on the Z5 is also a strong possibility. Not sure about a Z8 or an entry level Z30.
This part I got almost completely wrong. No Z90, no Zf. There was no Z8, as I expected, but there was a Z30 (the only new camera announced in 2022!), which I did not expect. I thought that a Zf based on the Z5 (similar to how the Zfc is based on the Z50) would be an easy thing to do...

In terms of lenses, I am not interested in any of the unreleased Z lenses from the current roadmap. But Nikon might get my attention with a “surprise” lens that I did not know I need :D. For now, I am only aware of some extremely vague rumors about new "lines" of lenses and proposed lenses that are quite intriguing and would represent new "firsts." (https://www.zsystemuser.com/nikon-z-system-news-and/nikkor-rumblings.html)
Nikon has announced a total of 6 Z lenses in 2022, 4 telephoto primes very well received by the target audience, a zoom based on a Tamron design, and a restyled prime of its own.
They did update the roadmap, but I am still not interested in any of them (at least for now). So it seems I got this right as well.

As for DSLRs and F mount lenses… 👼
Nothing new, as I predicted...

I definitely believe the 85 1.2 will come this year.
This I got wrong, very wrong....

A big FW update for the Z 6/7II should come before/at CP+ 2022 (end of February)...
This too was a wrong prediction.

It was a very quiet year for Nikon. Let's hope they have a very active 2023, but this is a discussion for another thread...

Darin Marcus

After reading what people post online about their expectations, I believe there are two different types of camera that people label Z8:
- a gripless Z9,
- a "true" mirrorless replacement for the D850 (that is, a studio/landscape camera) with 60-80MP.

Having no inside info, nor access to actual sales data, I find it hard to make a good prediction about this. But looking at public information such as Nikon's recent financial reports (and their forecasts), what they were able to produce and release this year, the current economic context, and what other people (that appear to be better informed than me) comment online, I am not sure that a camera labeled Z8 will be announced next year.

I do not think that Nikon will be able to launch another FF camera line and maintain all the others. My current thinking is that at least some of the current capabilities of the Z9 are due to the extra battery power in the grip (for example the VF and the AF systems), and by removing the grip those capabilities will be reduced. If so, the next Z6 iteration can pick up some of these, including a new stacked sensor with 28-32MP (dare I say 36MPs?). Or, it could be the next Z7 iteration that picks a non-stacked BSI sensor with 60-80MP (dare I say native ISO 50?). Or both these could happen, and they are the tested prototypes that people keep believing to be the Z8.

IMO Nikon has to update the Z6/7 significantly in 2023, instead of releasing a new Z8 camera, unless one of these lines (6/7) is replaced by the Z8 line...

And if updated, I think the Z6/7 will get new bodies in 2023 - slightly larger and with more buttons, to bring them closer to the ergonomics of the D8x0 cameras. But I have been known to get it wrong before :D