The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A star image

nathantw

When we were young we used to draw all stars with 5 points. Rarely, if ever, we'd draw a star as a circle. My Hasselblad 80mm f/2.8 CF lens reverted to its childhood and decided to make Venus into a star shape. I hadn't ever seen a lens make this shape and think it's a really cool. Now I want to try to get it to do that again.

Here's the original photo. Venus is the middle planet. Jupiter, the top planet, just took a slight star shape.

Last edited:

pegelli

Sorry to "hijack" your thread, indeed an interesting observation and yesterday I found that even the moon can be star-shape if it's smalle enough in the frame (and with the right lens) ;)

A7ii + Voigtländer Ultra Wide Heliar 12/5.6

There was a chance to see Northern Light yesterday as far south as the north of Belgium, so I went out to see if I could capture it with my camera, unfortunately no activity until 9:30 pm after which the clouds rolled in from the north and the opportunity was gone. But while waiting this was the scene behind me, so I didn't come home without some photos :)

f6cvalkyrie

Pieter, I hesitated to do the long drive from La Hulpe to the north of our country and back, and reading you now, I'm glad I didn't ...
Maybe tomorrow, maybe tonight ???

ggibson

Very cool. A 5-blade lens like the Hasselblad 80/2.8 CF makes a 10-point star from point lights, but the spikes are uneven, where every other point is longer/brighter (see my example below). I'm guessing the slow shutter on your shot combined with Venus moving in the sky blurred all but the brightest spikes and core of the star shape.

Orinda Mists by Graham Gibson, on Flickr

nathantw

Sorry to "hijack" your thread, indeed an interesting observation and yesterday I found that even the moon can be star-shape if it's smalle enough in the frame (and with the right lens) ;)

A7ii + Voigtländer Ultra Wide Heliar 12/5.6

There was a chance to see Northern Light yesterday as far south as the north of Belgium, so I went out to see if I could capture it with my camera, unfortunately no activity until 9:30 pm after which the clouds rolled in from the north and the opportunity was gone. But while waiting this was the scene behind me, so I didn't come home without some photos :)
I always like when the moon turned into a sunburst, but it confused people when I showed the picture to them. I hope you get to take pictures of the Northern Lights.

nathantw

Very cool. A 5-blade lens like the Hasselblad 80/2.8 CF makes a 10-point star from point lights, but the spikes are uneven, where every other point is longer/brighter (see my example below). I'm guessing the slow shutter on your shot combined with Venus moving in the sky blurred all but the brightest spikes and core of the star shape.

Orinda Mists
by Graham Gibson, on Flickr
I think the clouds also contributed to the shape. Jupiter up on top had a slight effect, but not really the full star shape. You're definitely right about the shape of the aperture blades creating the look. I just thought it was really cool seeing that star shape.

nathantw

I was able to recreate the star shape. I tried using the 120mm and the 180mm but I couldn't recreate the shape. Only the 80mm was able to make the star shape. In order to get the shape I'm guessing it depends on how bright the object is along with the clouds. As you can see Jupiter is round but Venus is in a star shape.