The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7r, A7r2 - and why I'm keeping both ...

k-hawinkler

On a cold and windy morning our resident Cooper's Hawk was standing on a wobbly water dish, getting ready to take a both while looking around for his next meal.

A1 + FE 200-600 G OSS.

Well I think I finally arrived at an efficient work flow to generate these kinds of GIF animations. :D

k-hawinkler

Of course one has to be pretty careful with using the image alignment functionality of Photoshop 2023.
Here is a GIF clip of some images I shot with using a tripod, so not much inadvertent camera drifting.

So alignment of images is not necessary and can indeed lead to some pretty funny artifacts caused by the post-processing.

However that gives me an indication how Adobe PS 2023 goes about aligning images. :cool:

k-hawinkler

One way to describe the Adobe Photoshop 2023 alignment functionality is as follows:

It seems to pick out a dominant feature in the images and transforms the remainder of the images into the rest frame of this dominant feature. In other words it performs a coordinate transformation of the images to the rest frame of the dominant feature. That actually makes sense to me.

So if the dominant feature doesn't move or change, like the ground or a structure, then the transformed images look naturally as a non-drifting camera at rest sees them.
However if there are no statically fixed features in the images then they are being transformed to the rest frame of the dominant feature.
To me that's a sensible approach. It gives me a way to understand the alignment functionally of PS 2023.
It also tells me when to use the alignment function and when not. :cool:

k-hawinkler

Piñon/Pinyon Jay Mob

We have a neighberhood flock of about 50 Piñon/Pinyon Jays that travel as a unit. They can create havoc at any location they descend upon. They are very alert and evasive. It's challenging to document their fairly large numbers. He is my unsuccesful attempt. :D

k-hawinkler

Today It Snowed.

A1 + FE 200-600 G OSS.

BTW this GIF is made from the Photoshop 2023 aligned images. No problem here at all.
It thought alignment was was needed that impacted 1 or 2 pixels around the edges.:D

Last edited:

k-hawinkler

It's Snowing on 3 Piñon / Pinyon Jays Feeding on Oily Black Sunflower Seeds.

Time slowed down by a factor of 2.
So far unremarkable from an image post-processing point of view.
However applying Adobe Photoshop 2023's alignment algorithm yields this GIF.

Obviously the algorithm chose the Bird Feeder Cage as its dominant component, tried to align it, and in the process coordinate transformed the rest of the images, consisting of a static tree and fence. :(

PS: In defense of Adobe's PS 2023 I should say that presumably I am using their software outside of its design space. My assumption is that their software was built to align identical or very similar images that are slightly misaligned. I am convinced that PS works just fine for that. Frankly I am amazed how well it works for the evolving images I have thrown at it. I decided to try some of my images out on it without having any expectations what the results would be. I am glad I did that and have learned a lot in the process. :)

Last edited:

k-hawinkler

It's Snowing on 3 Piñon / Pinyon Jays Feeding on Oily Black Sunflower Seeds.

Time slowed down by a factor of 2.
So far unremarkable from an image post-processing point of view.
However applying Adobe Photoshop 2023's alignment algorithm yields this GIF.

Obviously the algorithm chose the Bird Feeder Cage as its dominant component, tried to align it, and in the process coordinate transformed the rest of the images, consisting of a static tree and fence. :(

PS: In defense of Adobe's PS 2023 I should say that presumably I am using their software outside of its design space. My assumption is that their software was built to align identical or very similar images that are slightly misaligned. I am convinced that PS works just fine for that. Frankly I am amazed how well it works for the evolving images I have thrown at it. I decided to try some of my images out on it without having any expectations what the results would be. I am glad I did that and have learned a lot in the process. :)

Following up on my previous example I have a similar image sequence, the difference being a foreground tree trunk included on the left side.
A GIF clip without using the Adobe PS 2023 alignment function is given next.

Following is a GIF clip of the images aligned.

Here Adobe PS 2023 is picking the desired dominant component and does a pretty good job. The only annoying feature seems to be the expanding and contracting of the left foreground and right background tree.

Last edited:

k-hawinkler

These kinds of images always seem to benefit from Adobe Photoshop 2023 alignment treatment.
The GIF was generated from aligned images. That has removed camera motions during shooting.
Here we are not concerned about motions that IBIS takes care of.

But rather about camera moving from frame to frame caused by unsteady holding the gear.

A1 + FE 200-600 G OSS.