The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Alpa Linhof backs

jodad

Does anyone know if the Alpa Linhof backs in different film formats (6x6,6x7 & 6x9) have the same physical dimensions? I suppose this would be the same answer for the non alpa modified Linhof backs.

dchew

I'm not a big fan of Alpa's new site. They used to have all the dimensions and weights of almost every product. Now it is twice as hard to navigate with half the info.

Here is the film back page:
Every photo looks the same, and here is the Linhof sheet they reference from their website:

I will say, they have always been good about responding to specific email requests. You might try that.

Dave

tcdeveau

I'm not a big fan of Alpa's new site. They used to have all the dimensions and weights of almost every product. Now it is twice as hard to navigate with half the info.

Every photo looks the same, and here is the Linhof sheet they reference from their website:

I will say, they have always been good about responding to specific email requests. You might try that.

Dave
+1....I have trouble navigating their new site as well.

As Dave mentioned, the Alpa folks are super friendly and helpful. I'd reach out to them if you get a chance. I've found they usually respond within 24-48 hours.
-Todd

f8orbust

I always found the 'legacy' section useful, but on the new site it doesn't appear to have been populated with anything yet. Or I can't get it to work.

Functionally, I suspect the new site plays much better with the plethora of devices folks browse the internet on these days. But overall, I'm struggling to see what the new site has added designwise. Waiting for images to drop down and expand becomes tedious after about the first 0.0001 seconds, and someone has got carried away with the 'drop shadow' filter, that's for sure.

Jim

Alkibiades

Does anyone know if the Alpa Linhof backs in different film formats (6x6,6x7 & 6x9) have the same physical dimensions? I suppose this would be the same answer for the non alpa modified Linhof backs.
All linhof back have exactly the same dimensions.alpa backs are linhof backs but you oay more for the glued alpa name on it.
The same thing as with the tripod heads.
I would always get the cheaper original product.

tcdeveau

All linhof back have exactly the same dimensions.alpa backs are linhof backs but you oay more for the glued alpa name on it.
The same thing as with the tripod heads.
I would always get the cheaper original product.
Correct me if I’m wrong, but with the Alpa/Linhof film backs, aren’t you also paying for the Alpa 12 mount on the back, which the Linhof backs don’t have?

I have one of their branded tripods, but comparing the costs to the novoflex that it is based on, it wasn’t much more than the novoflex itself...at least at the time.

jodad

Dave
+1....I have trouble navigating their new site as well.

As Dave mentioned, the Alpa folks are super friendly and helpful. I'd reach out to them if you get a chance. I've found they usually respond within 24-48 hours.
-Todd
thanks guys :) I was about to write to them until I saw the message further down answering the question.

Agree on the site. Someone got sold on super-sexy and forgot the basics.

LOL!

tylerallenmohr

Did Alpa ever offer a 6x6 film back? I've seen mention of it once in another forum's thread from years ago, but can't find any information or even confirm its existence.

*The new Alpa site is terrible.