The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Am I crazy? Moving from Nikon D800 to A7 or A7R

gurtch

Hi Monty: I had posted the following on another thread, but it may be apropos here, as I am also an amateur, and use the two cameras you are talking about. Best of luck. QUOTE FROM ANOTHER THREAD:

Dave (D&A): Unlike a lot of folks here I did not "switch" to the A7R. I added it for the sole purpose of having a light weight, small, but capable of big prints (24"x30") camera in a small bag, always with me in the car. Foolish as it is, I actually have four systems. Being almost 77 years old, and retired, I allow myself such foolishness. I have a Sony A900 which, when I bought it, was the highest MP full frame camera on the market. I have the two Zeiss A mount zooms, Sony "G" lenses, and some outstanding Minolta AF legacy lenses. When the Pentax 645D came out, I could not resist, always wanting to try MFD. I had come from film/darkroom 645, 67 systems. Still my favorite for contemplative photography with tripod. When Nikon announced the D800E, I got one, being a sucker for high MP full frame cameras, and added Zeiss ZF, Voigtlander, and Nikon optics. Now I have a fourth system with two FE (and probably my last) lenses, as I can use my A mount lenses. So, after that lengthy self rationalization, may I say I am having a ball....Equipment makers love people like me!
Best to you Dave, and Happy New Year.
Dave in NJ

D&A

Dave, the reason you have all these systems is becase you're passionate about your photography and contemplate using each system specifically for under different conditions. Obviously you use them to good use having seen your posted images and they are worthy of someone who takes pride in their work. It's not so much that manufacturers love people like you, it's the people who enjoy looking at and owning one of your prints. Don't stop rationalizing...it works for you! Keep up the good work and enjoy!

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

gurtch

Dave, the reason you have all these systems is becase you're passionate about your photography and contemplate using each system specifically for under different conditions. Obviously you use them to good use having seen your posted images and they are worthy of someone who takes pride in their work. It's not so much that manufacturers love people like you, it's the people who enhoy looking at and owning one of your prints. Don't stop rationalizing...it works for you! Keep up the good work and enjoy!

Dave (D&A)
My friend Dave (D&A) to my rescue again! He always has a kind word, and positive remarks about people's work (and their passion). True gentlemen visit here.
Dave in NJ

D&A

My friend Dave (D&A) to my rescue again! He always has a kind word, and positive remarks about people's work (and their passion). True gentlemen visit here.
Dave in NJ
You're much too kind Dave and appreciate your thoughts but your characterization of me is simply not true. You see, I used to always criticize my Mom's baking skills when I was young, regardless of how good a cook she was in other areas. Since then I've learned the errs of my ways and would later on appreciate the effort she's always put into everything, including baking. :)

Dave (D&A)

gurtch

I don't believe it...Mom must have done a wonderful job. On another subject: I got a used Pentax 400mm FA f5.6 for the 645D on ebay, and have not even tried it yet! In my youth, new lenses were "tested", film processed and printed with in hours of getting it.
Best regards
Dave

D&A

Dave, your kind words are greatly appreciated and I'll pass them onto my Mom who thankfully is still with us.

With regards to two other unrelated subjects (one Sony related...below), that FA 400 f5.6 645 lens should be both an interesting and good performing optic for you to use on the 645D as well as a manual focus lens for other systems via an adapter. On the 645D a good sample is a very capable telephoto, especially if you're able to stop down to f8. Due to the narrow depth of field, it greatly benefits from Af fine tuning on the 645D.

With regards to this thread, I'm coming to the preliminary conclusion that unless one is strictly a landscape shooter, that the Sony A7(R) isn't a direct replacement for Nikon DSLr's, especially if tracking subjects and/or fast AF is a requirement. I haven't tried either camera (the A7 or A7r) with a Sony telephoto zoom w/adapter to determine how close it can come to a similarly equipped Nikon body and telephoto zoom. I'd be curious although it would mean a major investment in a new system.

I presume if the Sony is used for more deliberate shooting, whether landscape or even street photography, it may be more at home and no doubt might have some distinct advantages over one of the current conventional 35mm DSLR's. Those that have or use both of course could make a more definitive comparison.

Dave (D&A)