The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Any photographers out there using Phase One Industrial gear?

buildbot

Steve has noted several times that phase one’s industrial business is growing fast, which is awesome! They have basically a mirrorless BSI camera in the IXM line of backs, and many other interesting offerings. Anyone use these/have any stories or shots to share?

JeffK

More likely to see more firmware improvements to IQ4 as sales are likely lower these days at the commercial level. However, there's big profit at the industrial level. The R&D there probably trickles down to commercial later.

drevil

Staff member
iq5 with the same 150mp sensor? sony still has no new sensor ready.

Paul Spinnler

You could improve cpu and circuitry for speed, noise and DR - but from a dealer I know the focus of P1 atm is not bespoke photography, but the industrial arm … so IQ5 may only come in 23 …

buildbot

Or even sell a consumer version of these? With decent live view/tilting screen, boom, full frame 907x competitor...
I know there's literally no money in it compared to the client they get for the industrial stuff I'm sure, but it's cool to dream.

I think the IQ5 would probably upset a lot of people with IQ4s...

tcdeveau

How long before the IQ4's introduction were sensor details available from Sony?
According to Google, there are some articles out there disclosing details in rumor form of the current-gen sensors in April 2017, announcement of the sensor Nov 2017, and IQ4 announcement late August 2018.

Wayne S

Phase One has certainly grown significantly in the Geospatial segment with continued development to serve the specific needs of those markets, but that in no way has diminished our focus on XF, XT or IQ platforms. Our lineup of tools for Bespoke photography continues to grow as well, with a clear roadmap to continue to expand and improve these systems.

Wayne - BP Sales Manager Phase One Americas

Paul Spinnler

Can you on a high level provide a view on what could lie in the cards?

Auto LCC in C1
New colour science
IQ5 with video, more DR, faster processing, higher monitor
55 SK and 110 SK
138 RS HR XT
XT Max with more shift
XT compact with XF adaprer

On the third prty side would appreciate:
Silicon protector for IQ back and XT lenses

Thanks
Paul

tcdeveau

My short time with the IQ4 so far doesn't leave me wanting a whole lot honestly (other than a larger monitor at home for editing). I'm sure that could change as I use it more.

Auto LCC as Paul suggests would definitely be welcome.....as would the ability to manually enter lens metadata and movement info via the back in the field. They already let you pick aperture, why not go a step further and let one select focal length and X/Y movement?

Obviously they don't want to cannibalize XT sales, but a lot of us that would like to see lens/movement metadata entry via the back aren't going to shell out the $$ for an XT/associated lenses and move from our current systems just for this feature.

Steve Hendrix

Can you on a high level provide a view on what could lie in the cards?

Auto LCC in C1
New colour science
IQ5 with video, more DR, faster processing, higher monitor
55 SK and 110 SK
138 RS HR XT
XT Max with more shift
XT compact with XF adaprer

On the third prty side would appreciate:
Silicon protector for IQ back and XT lenses

Thanks
Paul

Paul, these are all worthy and valid items that would look great on a roadmap.

Unfortunately, at any level at all, I cannot publicly confirm any knowledge I may or may not have of items on the Phase One roadmap.

We had a company meeting at the Denver, USA HQ this past July, and it was a good meeting. A lot of positive information was exchanged. One thing that we noted to them was that they could do a better job with communications, they had positive stories to tell us, but we had not been seeing much activity with communications to existing and prospective users. They have certainly had some speed bumps in the past couple years and in the absence of information, people will naturally fill in the void with negatives, especially when there are some valid negatives to grapple with.

There is certainly nothing wrong with posting on a forum things you'd like to see - they're watching - but I would also urge anyone with feedback or suggestions to share them directly. We've ceratinly presented our share of requests and ideas, and quite a few of those have been implemented. But even though we represent ourselves and many users, to some degree we are still only one voice. The more voices they hear, the more priority they feel.

https://www.captureintegration.com/creating-phase-one-support-cases-and-providing-lab-feedback/

Steve Hendrix/CI

Paul Spinnler

Thanks Steve, IMHO the points I raised should already be well on their radar and I am surprised that in the age of diy manufacturing we do not yet have more custom protection products for P1. I take the back and XT to rough places and currently resort to taping everyhting up with gaffer tape.

On colour science - somehow my Leica S colours are a lot more pleasing.

On lenses - they know for a long time that the 55 is a low performer vs the newer designs - guess the economics arent there given low volumes.

Auto LCC - as mentioned, I felt this was the reason XT has shift.

XT - the system has two signifcant drawbacks: shift limits and lack of tilt. One could implement tilt in the XT body instead of thr lens? Or maybe allow for tilt in a new mirrorless body (see below).

IQ5 - They could make it a cinema monster. Proper HDMI, faster processig and ability to record raw 8k video. Crop modes: 645 full frame, cinema 65 / LF / S35. Adapter module for cinema IO. Ability to autofocus other lenses via adapter mounts. Modular mirrorless body with XF / XT / RF / PL / M nount adapters.

dj may

Thanks Steve, IMHO the points I raised should already be well on their radar and I am surprised that in the age of diy manufacturing we do not yet have more custom protection products for P1. I take the back and XT to rough places and currently resort to taping everyhting up with gaffer tape.

On colour science - somehow my Leica S colours are a lot more pleasing.

On lenses - they know for a long time that the 55 is a low performer vs the newer designs - guess the economics arent there given low volumes.

Auto LCC - as mentioned, I felt this was the reason XT has shift.

XT - the system has two signifcant drawbacks: shift limits and lack of tilt. One could implement tilt in the XT body instead of thr lens? Or maybe allow for tilt in a new mirrorless body (see below).

IQ5 - They could make it a cinema monster. Proper HDMI, faster processig and ability to record raw 8k video. Crop modes: 645 full frame, cinema 65 / LF / S35. Adapter module for cinema IO. Ability to autofocus other lenses via adapter mounts. Modular mirrorless body with XF / XT / RF / PL / M nount adapters.
I have been using Leica S since 2016. Prior to that 4x5 view cameras. One could assume I would be candidate for the XT. In 2020 I had some interest, however, due to the shortcomings you have mentioned the Leica S3 was the best solution for me.

It does not appear that current users of P1 products are the company’s highest priority.