The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anyone have experience with the Phase one IQ 160 or 180

rollsman44

Before I decide to walk away from using the XF body.... Just need some of the members point of view using the IQ 160 0r 180 Back
Mainly for portraits and Family group shots. I know its CCD and I know that ISO 100 should be the max used to avoid noise.
I have to be totally convinced before I walk away from the System that has been on my WISH list for some time now. Thank you

vjbelle

I don't really understand your post. What is it you want to hear? A 180 back will give you wonderful files albeit you won't have easy live view to work with but the XF has auto focus so that shouldn't be an issue. Once the image is taken it can be easily checked on the DB. I used a 180 for years and really liked it and even learned how to use live view - not an easy task.

Either you like the feel of the system or you don't.

Victor B.

rollsman44

Thank you. I like the feel of the camera.
just needed to know if ISO 200 is acceptable
I use strobes indoors. Ty.

Ray Harrison

Curious as to why it’s on your wish list? Many, many systems can take great portraits / family group shots. The XF and an IQ160/80 will work great. Those backs produce great files. The system has benefits and drawbacks. You need to invest time in learning the system and how to get the best out of the files, just like any other platform.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I REALLY liked the IQ160 on a tech camera. It's the only output I liked as much as the Leica S(006) - also a CCD. The IQ180 had a more difficult time with color casts. I thought the IQ160 was the sweet spot. I'd go so far as to say it was the pinnacle of CCD photography gear. I could have gotten the IQ160, Cambo, and a few SK lenses for $26,000. I still feel like I missed a great opportunity, as I won't buy a Phase back again.

Now, I see it as akin to the Mamiya 7II - truly great gear from an earlier generation. Just as I seldom use the Mamiya, I think I'd stick with the more recent CMOS 50MP or greater sensors and AF lenses.

Last edited:

Steve Hendrix

Thank you. I like the feel of the camera.
just needed to know if ISO 200 is acceptable
I use strobes indoors. Ty.

"Acceptable" is a subjective metric.

Let's say "usable". ISO 200 on an IQ160 may be usable to some. There will be noise/grain, but with higher key subject matter/exposures, the files could be deemed usable (by some), depending the situation. They will a good 2-3 stops or so noisier than a 50mp/100mp cmos solution from Phase One/Hasselblad/Fuji. But for some, they may still be usable. The way I look at a product like that - the question that I ask my clients - is How often would you shoot at ISO 200? If it is a lot, I don't think it is a good solution for you. If it is rarely, maybe the rest of the time, the strengths of the system make it worth the rerlatively few occasions you may need to push it.

I would highly recommend, if you have the system in your hands, to take some test shots and see what you think of the results.

Steve Hendrix/CI

rollsman44

Hi Steve, Thank you again for your Honest response. My other choice was the IQ 50 CMOS but is there really a difference between Phase one , Pentax Z since they have the same sensor?
I am about to sell my Phase one XF body and 2 lenses I also have purchased BUT I had to Make sure that the CCD sensors wont work for me,
How does the CMOS IQ 1 50 compare to Z ( the Z being the cheaper option) Thank you for help.

Aviv1887

I believe the IQ180 has sensor plus correct? If so, when I was using that on the 260 I owned, it did mostly away with the noise issue. Next to that, it had its own "look" and gave more flexibility in the files. With a 180 you would get 20mp files on sensor plus I believe (very nice 20mp)
. Maybe Steve can chime in and could confirm my thinking?

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
This is Sensor Plus on an IQ140, so a 10MP image. BUT, it's ISO 1600! 1/30 sec, hand held, zone focused tech cam. At a wedding. At night. (There was an LED panel around). Ridiculous, but the groom is checking Polaroids taken with a Graflex, so it seemed in keeping.

Not something you see at every wedding...

I am NOT endorsing this as a general practice. This was a joke that turned out much better than it should have.

Matt

buildbot

I believe the IQ180 has sensor plus correct? If so, when I was using that on the 260 I owned, it did mostly away with the noise issue. Next to that, it had its own "look" and gave more flexibility in the files. With a 180 you would get 20mp files on sensor plus I believe (very nice 20mp)
. Maybe Steve can chime in and could confirm my thinking?
It does, but at a lower base ISO than the 160/260/360

I love my 260, sensor plus is great, but also nothing above base iso for either really.