The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Aptus ii 80 and 80 cameras supported

perbagger

Hini have a question about the aptus ii 8 and cameras supported.

In the facts sheets they market that the back is supported by 80 cameras among phase one 645 and hasselblad v and h, contax and so on. But do you need to alther the back for this or will it just connect and for without doing anything?

drevil

Staff member
where did you get your information?
there used to be a time when you could switch mounts on some digitalbacks but those times are long gone.

newer backs have a fixed mount for a specific camera system.

TechTalk

Any Phase One backs and Leaf backs made since about 2002 have a fixed mount which is not designed for user interchangeability. Factory conversions were offered to different mounts, but I don't know if they're still available.

Sinar, Imacon, and Hasselblad had user interchangeable mounts for several years. The last Imacon/Hasselblad interchangeable mount backs were the CF II series which were discontinued in 2010. I'm not sure what, if anything Sinar, still offers for interchangeable mount backs.

perbagger

Well its a back that was produced some years ago so its for cameraes of that time or new with same standards. But in their datasheet

they dont say anything about factory conversions? But they do mention many cameraes that are supported. Both Phase One and hasselblad.

And they wrote "A choice of connecting to more than 80 different camera platforms"

So its very difficult to se that you need to make a physical change?

buildbot

Well its a back that was produced some years ago so its for cameraes of that time or new with same standards. But in their datasheet

they dont say anything about factory conversions? But they do mention many cameraes that are supported. Both Phase One and hasselblad.

And they wrote "A choice of connecting to more than 80 different camera platforms"

So its very difficult to se that you need to make a physical change?
I think they are counting 4x5s and all the variants of the aptus mounts, you can’t change between them sadly.

Ray Harrison

Okay what a shame.. so just to be sure if its for a 645 Mount, Hasselblad wont work?
In my experience, the two mounts are physically different. I had a Phase back that had a Hasselblad H-mount and Leaf back that was "645 Mount". The two were definitely not interchangeable on the cameras.

Steve Hendrix

I think they are counting 4x5s and all the variants of the aptus mounts, you can’t change between them sadly.

Yes, apparently there was an internal contest with the Leaf marketing team for who could come up with the highest nonsensical number of compatible cameras for the Leaf Digital Backs. Somebody won.

Generally speaking, modern digital backs (since around 2010 - ish and since) have dedicated, fixed specific camera mounts that are not removable/exchangeable, typically in one of four primary mounts:

Hasselblad V
Hasselblad H
Contax 645
Phase One/Mamiya 645

Due to flange distance tolerances, any digital back in one of the above interfaces cannot be adapted to any of the other interfaces. Some of these digital backs, via various adapters could be coupled with Mamiya RZ, Mamiya RB, Bronica ETRS, Fuji GX680, due to the deeper bodies. The optimum value of these latter pairings is not straightforward in all cases.

These digital backs can fit on any view camera or tech camera whose manufacturer produces a compatible interface adapter based on one of those four interfaces. Current examples being - Arca Swiss, Cambo, Alpa, going back a bit further, Sinar, Horseman, Rollei, Toyo, etc.

Steve Hendrix/CI

AlexeyDanilchenko

Due to flange distance tolerances, any digital back in one of the above interfaces cannot be adapted to any of the other interfaces.
Just to add to Steve's response - that is not the only reason. Electronic interfaces/protocols are substantially different between all bodies as well as electronmic conections required. Contax645/Mamiya/Phase One use a modified SPI interface on different pins, Hasselblad uses I2C interface and also physically different pins and conectors. Meaning it is not as simple as swapping connectors - some supporting circuitries would also be needed.