The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Arca Swiss D4M Knob Placement

rjp85

Hi guys,
I prefer to use pan and tilt heads with independent movements, and I enjoy my Manfrotto 229 (converted to Arca Swiss) but it's an absolute beast, weighing 4.5 pounds, easily.

I was looking at the Arca D4m (non-geared), and was confused at how some of the images have the tilt locking knob on the left side of the head, and some of the pictures have the tilt locking knob on the right side of the head. Just Google "D4m" and you'll see that there seems to be two versions. Or maybe I'm crazy?

It looks like European models have the tilt knob on the left, and the ones I see at B&H have the tilt knob on the right (I would prefer the tilt knob to be on the left side for my left hand, so that my right hand can be gripping the camera grip).

So which is it? Is the knob on the left or the right? Or, where can I get one that has the knob on the left, instead of the right? LOL

Boinger

You can swivel the top and the base independently. I frequently will rotate the d4 depending on where i am shooting or where i want the knob for the particular shot.

An easy way to think about it is if you loosen the top and the bottom rotation locks you can hold the camera and spin the tripod mount 360 degrees.

rjp85

I'm well aware of the top panning and the base panning. The top and base panning have nothing to do with it, because the images show the front of the head with different knob placement.

There are clear pictures showing the front of the head, with some images showing the tilt knob on the left, and some images showing the tilt knob on the right.

Click to see for yourself:
Knob on the right
Knob on the left

Do early models differ from the later models, or vice versa?

Boinger

Is it possible that they have the writing on both sides. I can check mine when I head to my studio tomorrow.

I think you are just looking at different orientations of the same product.

Easy way to tell is look at the spirit levels on the top. Those are your only real reference points.

Also look at the picture with the knob on the left. No degree Marks. The picture with the knob on the right has degree marks on the left.

Really looks to me to be the same product with different orientations.

rjp85

Thanks for your replies, however:

The degree marks will be on the opposite side of wherever the knob is. The knob side won't have degree marks.

Think about it: There is only *one* knob for the side to side movement, therefore, both pictures are showing the *front* of the head. One has the knob for tilt on the left, the other has it on the right.

If you have the geared D4 (not the D4m), then you will have a tear drop knob on the right. The round gearing knob will be on the left. I've only seen it in that configuration. But I'm only asking about the D4m here.

Seems rather strange, or I'm completely wrong, LOL.

Rand47

Weird, for sure. I have the geared version. I can tell you this much... in the photo of the one with the knob on the right side, the pan lock lever for the top is in the wrong place. It should be on the “front” of that panning base for the clamp. That part does not “move” relative to the body of the head. And, it appears that there is no locking mechanism whatsoever for the clamp, either lever or screw-in type.

rjp85

Weird, for sure. I have the geared version. I can tell you this much... in the photo of the one with the knob on the right side, the pan lock lever for the top is in the wrong place. It should be on the “front” of that panning base for the clamp. That part does not “move” relative to the body of the head. And, it appears that there is no locking mechanism whatsoever for the clamp, either lever or screw-in type.
Oh, that's just the "MonoballFix" clamp. No need to worry about that. I already know the difference between the three clamps.

I did read that it is possible to rotate the location of the pan lock knob on the top. I don't know the details, but I think it is actually possible.

rjp85

So it looks like all the videos on Youtube that are 5-10 or more years old show the D4m with the knob on the right.

Videos that are 2 years old or less show the head with the knob on the left.

Perhaps a change was made for the more recent heads in the past 2 or 3 years?

I might have figured it out. But probably not. :)

RodK

When we first produced the D4m we did put the vertical lock on the right. But upon rethinking this, we moved it to the left allowing the user to hold the camera's grip with the right hand to position, while being able to lock down with the left hand when the correct position was reached. All heads since then have been produced with lock knob on the left.
We made a very few with right hand lock knob. Sorry for confusion.
Be well and stay safe this Holiday.

Rod