The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Assigning a profile

Jeffg53

I’m a bit rusty on this stuff, so thought that I would ask. I am using DXO Pureraw. It has the ability to output TIF so I tried it. Then I found the gotcha. It tags it as sRGB, and doesn’t let me specify a profile. It occurred to me that I could get PS to assign a profile to it and the problem would be solved.
Does this sound correct?

tenmangu81

If your colours are restricted to sRGB when exiting DxO PureRaw, I doubt you would gain anything by assigning a larger colour space in Photoshop.

Rand47

There’s a difference between assigning a profile, and “converting to profile.” If what DXO is doing is “converting to sRGB” then there is, indeed, no point in either assigning or converting back to a larger color space. Whatever colors were clipped/compressed upon DXO’s “process” (something about what you describe doesn’t sound right to me), you can’t get back.

I work with DXO Pure Raw 3 as a plug-in in Lightroom Classic. The raw files I run through it “return” to Lightroom as dng with all the color data still there - though I need to confirm this after reading this post!

Rand