The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Best portrait lens for Hasselblad 907X / CFV II 50C ???

Caumont

Hi everyone,

I recently bought a Hasselblad 907X with a 45mm f/3,5. What a camera... I used the back on my 501 CM + 80mm CFE but I would prefer an AF lens for the 907X to make portrait.

Obviously, I thought of the 80mm f/1.9...

What would you recommend?

Thank you very much for your insight,
Best,
Vincent

OleBe

Depends on your shooting style. The 90mm is a great and much smaller lens as well. However it needs more light and gives quite a lot less background separation. I had it and sold it to refinance the 80mm because I wanted a little bit more separation and the flexibility in less light situations. So If you shoot in a studio…there my vote would go for the 90mm.

Godfrey

I went the other way ... bought the 90mm instead of the 80mm because of the lighter weight. I don't need DoF to be much shallower than the 90mm at f/3.2 on 33x44mm format for portraiture.

Of course, what you class as a portrait lens depends a lot on what kind of portraits you like to make as well... The 45P and 65 mm lenses can both make excellent portraits too, as can the 120 Macro or 135. Since all the native lenses for the Hasselblad X system are at least superior performers, it's more a matter of what you like in focal length than anything else.

G

budfox

I am sucker for blurry backgrounds so went for the 80/1.9. I also like the slightly wider framing as a tiny little bit more versatile for me at least (closer to 50 than 80)
However, Godfrey is correct that it is certainly heavier and more costly than the 90 (even second hand).

Caumont

Thank you all for your insight.

It'll be only use out of the studio...

80 is a bit better to my taste than 90.

And for AF between the two, would you say that they are similar?

I only used the 45mm f3,5 which I found ok (maybe a bit noisy...)