The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Building an analogue to digital technical camera

observedlight

Hi everyone,

I'm interested in transitioning to a technical camera, but I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed by all the options and my budget doesn't allow me to invest in a Phase One digital back right away or perhaps even the Hassleblad digital back. I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on starting with a 4x5 camera and a 6x7 rollback, using affordable film lenses, and gradually upgrading to a digital back over time.

I'm specifically looking at WRS1600 and RM3Di longterm, but I'm open to suggestions for a modular tech camera that can shoot 120 rolls. I plan to use my Canon DSLR for commercial work and keep the technical analog camera for personal projects. I'm excited about the modularity of this approach and would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions on this plan, as well as recommendations for a good starting point with potential for upgrading to higher-end components if it becomes commercially viable for me. Thank you in advance!

kdphotography

Film? What's that? :D

I think this will work for you while deciding if a MFDB is right for you. Cambo technical platform and WRS 1068 roll film adapter for RB film backs: https://www.cambo.com/en/wide-rs-series/wrs-1068/

Use the Cambo 1000, 1250, or WRS1600 technical camera and you can add a MFDB later when you are ready. I don't know what your budget is for a Phase MFDB, but a used IQ series might be a good option depending on what model.

Ken

Shoe

I very recently started with 6x9 on an Alpa TC. There are several options for using 120 film on technical cameras, rare though it may be. The modularity/flexibility was a big factor in my decision as well, and, indeed, it can make the decision process quite complicated. I decided to start with a configuration that does not overlap too much with my other cameras (a 4x5 and a Rolleiflex) and go from there. For me, this is a compact/light (~1.35kg) travel camera with no movements. Finding analog-friendly lenses covering 6x9 was a bit of a scavenger hunt, but you might have more luck with 6x7 and/or a system that allows easier re-mounting of existing lenses.