The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

C1 Black Friday – anyone moved to subscription yet?

tenmangu81

I forgot the main reason for which I switched from Capture One to Lightroom : I work with a Hasselblad camera ;) 😂
I know some people transform their HB files into DNG and use a trick to be able to open them within C1. I did it for a while. But you loose all the subtleties of the HB colours, then.

AlexeyDanilchenko

I am not sure it is C1's choice to not include Hassy. Hassy files have a special interpretation layer accessible via treatment in Phocus – Hasselblad natural colour science – which reads the calibration file of the specific X camera and applies a kelvin adjusted interpolation of a filmic LUT onto the files. That's why people love the Hassy look through Phocus so much.
Last time I checked it also works in Lightroom - not sure if generating DNG with ACR and using that in C1 will work but it may be worth investigating if C1 required (I don't use it personally)

tenmangu81

Last time I checked it also works in Lightroom - not sure if generating DNG with ACR and using that in C1 will work but it may be worth investigating if C1 required (I don't use it personally)
HNCS colours are preserved when opening the HB files using Lightroom, as far as I have checked through a test (colour target and eyedropper). However, the lens corrections are not as good as in Phocus.
Generating DNG's from HB RAW files allow to open them into Capture One, after having modified some EXIF data. But colours and lens corrections are not preserved, then.

Paul Spinnler

It requires an agreement between DJI and P1 still at the top and Adobe is not a competitor to DJI while P1 is on multiple levels: cameras, industrial inspection.

I think it is DJI that is blocking this tbh.

AlexeyDanilchenko

Generating DNG's from HB RAW files allow to open them into Capture One, after having modified some EXIF data. But colours and lens corrections are not preserved, then.
DNG should contain the profile(s) including all colour transformation if you do it via ACR/LR. So if the colours are wrong then something is not quite right - either in ACR/LR generation process (unlikely, but can be verified opening the same DNG in say old verion of ACR/Photoshop) or C1 not handling DNG correctly.

tenmangu81

Yes, could be, but then, there would be no reason to open the file in LR or ACR and transfer the obtained DNG to Capture One. It's more logical to finish the work with LR !!

Wall-H

I forgot the main reason for which I switched from Capture One to Lightroom : I work with a Hasselblad camera ;) 😂
I know some people transform their HB files into DNG and use a trick to be able to open them within C1. I did it for a while. But you loose all the subtleties of the HB colours, then.
I'd similar dilemma but i went to exact opposite direction :). I upgraded from Hasselblad X1Dii50c to Phase one IQ3. that gave me 2 things.
1. Larger sensor in camera.
2. Better and easier color management in C1.

I just couldn't adopt Phocus in my workflow and i was able to match X1Dii50c with my nikon gear so, I bailed from Hassy and went to P1 for better color workflow. It's mess overall but tool for job thinking, you get best out of each one.
Now, thank you to this thread, i found out that if i've phase one then C1 is free to me like phocus was with Hasselblad.
no doubt with ergonomics and the HNCS straight out of camera Raw is in different class with Hasselblad.
But with DJI acquiring and without replacement announcement of H line shutdown seemed like memo of long term direction -t we are going consumer focused rather than absolute best. I bailed out.
Sorry for digressing. Thank you for link of how to get free key.

anwarp

I have a free subscription!
I have 2 p1 backs that shoot on the xf, actus or a mamiya rz. So, the p1 version of c1 works well.
I used to upgrade the perpetual license every couple of years, when I used to also shoot with canon.

AlexeyDanilchenko

Yes, could be, but then, there would be no reason to open the file in LR or ACR and transfer the obtained DNG to Capture One. It's more logical to finish the work with LR !!
No reason for the ones preferring LR/ACR but not those using C1 (I don't use it personally - never understood the appeal and find it overengineered and complicated)

JaapD

I’ve chosen again for a perpetual license. Still pretty expensive on a 40% discount. I like the flexibility to renew when it suits me and don’t like the idea of having no operational software release after ending a subscription.

cheers,
Jaapd.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I’ve chosen again for a perpetual license. Still pretty expensive on a 40% discount. I like the flexibility to renew when it suits me and don’t like the idea of having no operational software release after ending a subscription.

cheers,
Jaapd.
Except that there is no "renew". You must buy a new full-price license.

Do I misunderstand their new pricing policy?

Matt

JaapD

Except that there is no "renew". You must buy a new full-price license.
Do I misunderstand their new pricing policy?
Matt
Indeed, there is no 'renew'. However CaptureOne seems to offer a 40% discount if you'll upgrade within 12 months and a 20% discount if you'll upgrade within 24 months. However, no in-between upgrades if you're on perpetual license, only bug fixes. They make the perpetual licensing model very unattractive, on their behalf for a reason, pushing us towards the subscription model.

Personally I experience C1's policy on perpetual license as being questionable, together with latest price increases, resulting in customer dissatisfaction. Most likely they don't care, similar like Adobe.

Cheers,
JaapD.

tenmangu81

Indeed, there is no 'renew'. However CaptureOne seems to offer a 40% discount if you'll upgrade within 12 months and a 20% discount if you'll upgrade within 24 months. However, no in-between upgrades if you're on perpetual license, only bug fixes. They make the perpetual licensing model very unattractive, on their behalf for a reason, pushing us towards the subscription model.

Personally I experience C1's policy on perpetual license as being questionable, together with latest price increases, resulting in customer dissatisfaction. Most likely they don't care, similar like Adobe.

Cheers,
JaapD.
The difference is that Adobe is a very strong company, developing a large set of softwares, while C1 is not and targets more specifically professional users by now. Adobe can discard customers (actually, they don't as they improve their softwares siginficantly and very often), I am not sure C1 could do it for long.