The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Cambo Actus, thoughts, experience, or regrets

diggles

It has been suggested to me one way forward might be to buy a Fuji GFX 50 or some such other medium format camera and stick it on the Cambo.
The Fuji GFX 50 has the same sensor as the Leaf Credo as well. It is a great camera, but personally I prefer the process of using a digital back. It just feels more like photography to me.

The menu system for the Fuji gives you so many options that it feels quite complicated and at times it feels like I am using a computer instead of a camera. Also, I like using the Rodenstock wide lenses which you can't use with the Fuji. I had both, sold the GFX and kept the Hasselblad.

Hope that helps.

Duddingston

Hi Warren,
I've been so absorbed all afternoon with this issue I have forgotten to go and pick up my dog from the vets ! I will now certainly be in the dog house with him. !
I am not poor but I have to justify if only to myself how much I spend on my self as I have other pre-occupations like the arrival in the next week of my new/old Triumph TR6 from the United States plus my horses and collection of carriages etc.
My photography passion so to speak is therefore only one string to my bow. I recently set up the studio, bought a Leica CL, new, s'hand Hasselblad and the Cambo plus the lighting and I have yet to take hardly any pictures because I spend all my spare time on forums asking people how all this equipment actually works.
It was never like this in the old days with my Leica 3 F and 100 isa film which did not even require a light meter so adept had we become at measuring the light !
I wish sometimes I had never had this weird idea of actually taking photos again !!!! It is quicker and cheaper to paint the scene in oils !!! Although no doubt there are forums for that as well :cool:
Mike

Duddingston

The Fuji GFX 50 has the same sensor as the Leaf Credo as well. It is a great camera, but personally I prefer the process of using a digital back. It just feels more like photography to me.

The menu system for the Fuji gives you so many options that it feels quite complicated and at times it feels like I am using a computer instead of a camera. Also, I like using the Rodenstock wide lenses which you can't use with the Fuji. I had both, sold the GFX and kept the Hasselblad.

Hope that helps.
A man after my own heart !!! Yes taking photos now is all about technology - damn this world we live !!!!

Ray Harrison

Hi Ray,
Firstly you have the situation pretty much as is. I bought the fire wire cable to use my Hasselblad back with the Cambo but apparently I can't do that. In my effort to connect the fire wire to my PC I have bought a fire wire to thunderbolt 2 adapter which doesn't connect to my PC. It appears I need a thunderbot 2 to a thunderbold 3 adapter and a pc with the new USB C port so this afternoon have ordered a notepad with a USB C Port. The alternative would have been as you say to find an old Mac or some such thing.
It is not even certain what I am trying to do will work.
Your idea of Leaf Credo sounds fascinating, I have never heard of such thing but if I understand correctly this could become my digital back for my Cambo ???
Follow this link to see what I actually bought https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164238347608 it is the word "Compatable" I should have taken more notice of !!! Photo also included.
If the Credo is what I need, how much will this cost me and where will I find one ? The next step I presume will be to find a lens etc ?
Phew ! Time for a gin and tonic !
Mike
I always think it's time for a gin and tonic! :)

This is all a very interesting and steep learning curve indeed, at least I have found it to be coming from 35mm. As to whether you should go the route of something like GFX or a digital back to use with a Cambo Actus DB "like" camera, you'll have plenty of experienced folks chime in here. I am personally going with a technical camera rather than the Actus for my use case so can't offer anything of substance. That said, and this is true whether you use view or tech cams, with that feedback you'll start hearing things about shutters, both electronic and manual.

The shutter discussion is very important. With view cameras such as the Actus or tech cameras (e.g. Cambo WRS 1600) the thing to keep in mind is that the capture device (digital back or mirrorless camera body) and lenses are separate and never the two shall meet. One of them needs a shutter that can be fired. Lenses have traditionally either had manual shutters like the Copal or come "shutter free" - i.e. "aperture only". Copal shutters are no longer manufacturedt and the current replacement is the X-shutter from Phase One which needs large sums of cash to be able to use. So this means the lens will be "aperture only" and that the capture device needs an electronic shutter, be that a digital back or mirrorless body (GFX).

On the digital back side, the electronic shutter options are limited to the higher priced digital backs from Phase One (IQ3100 and above) and the "reasonably priced" Hasselblad CFV II 50c with the same sensor as the GFX 50s/r that diggles mentioned. The Credo and other phase digital backs are without this feature. For those, you'd need a manual shutter on the lenses and the only option is the copal shutter, which isn't made anymore. You can likely find such lenses used though. If you go down that route (and perhaps even in general), I'd recommend finding a dealer in France you can work with. I know they seem more expensive, but they have a lot of knowledge and will generally try and work within any reasonable budget you have. It will at the very least save you time, time is money, etc and probably reduce frustration too. Hard-learned experience on my part, I'm here to say :).

It honestly might be worth taking a gander at the CFV II 50c - I think you have to purchase it with a camera body at present, the total price of which is around $7K USD. Lenses extra, of course. No more firewire, you have modern power and battery options, and a very flexible system that offers a lot even outside of its abilities on a view/tech camera. But back to the Actus, for some lens choices, this is a US link but can give you an idea of what's available - https://www.digitalback.com/cambo/

Duddingston

Hi Ray,
I don't want to spend a bucket load of cash ! I am at the moment inclined to go down the route of leaf credo which I can't find but have seen a lead a leaf Actus for sale.
What I want is the cheapest second hand digital back that works and I'll buy a copal lens to go with it.
After all I may never actually ever use the bloody thing !!!

Ray Harrison

Hi Ray,
I don't want to spend a bucket load of cash ! I am at the moment inclined to go down the route of leaf credo which I can't find but have seen a lead a leaf Actus for sale.
What I want is the cheapest second hand digital back that works and I'll buy a copal lens to go with it.
After all I may never actually ever use the bloody thing !!!
Ha! Indeed. Enjoy whatever path you take.

Cheers,
Ray

Duddingston

Hi Ray,
Where can I find a Leaf back and how much should I pay for one ? Are there any other backs out there that will do the job at a reasonable price ?
Thanks
Mike

Ray Harrison

Hi Ray,
Where can I find a Leaf back and how much should I pay for one ? Are there any other backs out there that will do the job at a reasonable price ?
Thanks
Mike
What's your definition of reasonable? :)

If you're not keen on working with a dealer (my first choice), there are a variety of options, including eBay. Another is a photography-centric site called mpb.com. Scroll down a bit on their main page until you see a section for medium format under categories. They have a variety of older backs, including Leaf and have a presence in both France and the UK. Wherever you get your back from, make sure that you get the back that matches the mount on your Actus clone (or find a place to get the plates to match your mount choice, either way). While there are a variety of digital back mount styles for the older models, the main ones around are either H mount for Hasselblad or Mamiya/Phase mount for those bodies. Note that none of the H backs will work on your HD body.

A few things to keep in mind:

(1) Some of the backs don't have live view to allow for focusing on a view camera and those that do may(will) struggle at times. Make sure you have a way to focus when mounted on your Cambo (distance focusing or whatever). There may be a ground glass option a la old school from Cambo but I don't know.

(2) For whatever used lens with copal shutter you purchase that is compatible with your Cambo clone, make sure you get the cable or cables needed to wake the back and fire the shutter. I don't know enough about that to offer advice on where or what to purchase

(3) For Leaf, I believe only the Credo backs offer USB3 connectivity in addition to Firewire, otherwise it's just Firewire like you have with your current setup.

Good luck!

A last edit: I should note that outside of all of this tech, film is still very much an option, including for large and medium format.

Last edited:

AndyPtak

I asked Cambo this question some time ago and never received a reply. When the Actus first came out it was not possible to use Cambo Tech cam lenses like Schneider and Rodenstock with a Mirrorless body because infinity focus could not be reached.

Has some genius come up with a solution to this in the last few years? I've looked and found nothing.

Alan

I asked Cambo this question some time ago and never received a reply. When the Actus first came out it was not possible to use Cambo Tech cam lenses like Schneider and Rodenstock with a Mirrorless body because infinity focus could not be reached.

Has some genius come up with a solution to this in the last few years? I've looked and found nothing.
Depends on which lens and which mirrorless body. Lenses have different flange-focal and rear body dimensions. Mirrorless systems have different flange-sensor depths. In addition, most mirrorless bodies have a handgrip that protrudes in front of their lens flange that can hinder clearance. Generally, 55mm is around the focal length where dimensions start to clash, but you need to check your exact combination.

Last edited:

rdeloe

People are using GFX bodies on Actus frames, but the 26.7mm flange distance of the GFX system eats up a lot of the space you need to use the wide technical camera lenses. From 60mm on you're good to go, but wider is generally a no-go with GFX. This is why you see people using medium format lenses and various tilt-shift lenses for 35mm/full frame for wide angle.

Alan

I have the 42, 47 and 60 mm Schneiders and Sony a7r, r2 and r3 as cameras.
Here are a couple dimension charts, one for older Digitars like your 47, and another for the newer 43 and 60. Subtract rear body length "h2" from flange focal distance "s'A" to see how far away the back of the lens is from the sensor at infinity focus.

Screen Shot 2021-12-22 at 12.54.54 PM.png

Attachments

Last edited: