The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Capture One Perpetual: change of plans

Knorp

Received this email from Capture One today ...

Upcoming changes to our perpetual license

Hi Bart,

Over the past few years many of you have told us you want access to new tools and improvements sooner, rather than have them all in one ‘major’ version of Capture One Pro at the end of each year. That’s why we’ve been investing heavily in our technology to be able release features to you as soon as they are ready. Now we’re ready to fully embrace this approach.

From 2023 we will no longer be tied to an annual cycle for major releases. As a result, there will not be a Capture One 24. Instead, we will continuously release new tools and features on a rolling basis throughout the year.

Alongside this, we will also be making changes to our perpetual licenses from February 1, 2023. Here’s what’s changing:
New perpetual licenses will include updates with bug fixes until the next version, but new features released after purchase will not be included.
Upgrade pricing will no longer be available and will be replaced with a new loyalty scheme. More details will be announced on February 1, 2023.
Here’s how it affects you:
Happy with your current version of Capture One Pro? Great, there’s nothing you need to do.

If you do want to get our latest version, Capture One Pro 23, our upgrade pricing is open to you until January 31, 2023. By purchasing before this date you will receive all updates including new features until September 30, 2023. You can access this by logging into your account on our website.
You can find more details of the changes and how it affects you on this page.

Thank you as always for being part of the Capture One community. We’re excited to share our new products and features with you over the coming months, and hope you’ll enjoy using them as much as we have creating them!

Thank you,
The Capture One Team

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
The comments from the click-through page are pretty unanimous. I'm already shackled to Adobe. I'm not adding another one.

pegelli

I'm still Lightroom 6.14, the last perpetual licence version from Adobe. I guess I'll do the same with C1, I have version 22 now and if I look at the added features of the last perpetual version (23) I don't think I'll upgrade.

The biggest issue I have with these subscription models is the "end play", and losing the ability to edit photos imported during the subscription. I would have no problem if they would make it such that you can't import new photo's when you stop the subscription but crippling what you can do with your legitimate imports is unacceptable for me.

Alan

The biggest issue I have with these subscription models is the "end play", and losing the ability to edit photos imported during the subscription. I would have no problem if they would make it such that you can't import new photo's when you stop the subscription but crippling what you can do with your legitimate imports is unacceptable for me.
They've added a subscription off-ramp, which ranges from a discounted to free perpetual version depending on how long you've subscribed.

pegelli

They've added a subscription off-ramp, which ranges from a discounted to free perpetual version depending on how long you've subscribed.
Is that Adobe or C1?

Edit, I just saw the links you gave in the other thread, C1 indeed looks better than Adobe from that perspective.

I hope they don't follow Adobes lead who first promised ("indicated") to continue perpetual licences but after a few updates suddenly changed that to subscription only 😡

Last edited: