The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Carl Zeiss S-Topar A2 80mm

lookbook

Do any of you have the lens in practical use or a link to pictures,
taken with this lens on a digital back here on earth? : )

I bought this lens at auction years ago and have always wanted to have it adjusted,
but would like to find out beforehand whether it is worth it.

Any further information is also of interest.

Thank you very muchCarl-Zeiss-S-Topar-A2-Z6B_4488.jpg

Last edited:

Paul Spinnler

I would test it by mounting your digital back into a bellows camera – if you have one – and by holding the lens into the front standard and by using a cloth or tape to darken the surrounding light openings. Before spending all the cash to custom mount it its worthwhile to see whether this lens is sharp enough and worthwhile as a result in the first place.

lookbook

- I'm not a great tinkerer and there should already be lenses of this type in circulation and therefore also tested.
I thought I would find a reliable statement about this lens in advance Paul ...
It's certainly not for close-ups! : )

Paul Spinnler

- I'm not a great tinkerer and there should already be lenses of this type in circulation and therefore also tested.
I thought I would find a reliable statement about this lens in advance Paul ...
It's certainly not for close-ups! : )
There was an eBay seller at one point selling these saying they are sharp – but I've never seen a sample or independent comment on them. Is there a third party comment on them?

lookbook

There was an eBay seller at one point selling these saying they are sharp – but I've never seen a sample or independent comment on them. Is there a third party comment on them?
... i also know this seller,
he has been selling these lenses on ebay austria and germany for years!!!
but i have never seen a photo taken with the lens ...
... in austria he sold the absolute last lens in february
... in germany he offers it again in march :)

Last edited:

daz7

Yes I also saw this for YEARS ... sounds a bit "scammy" his way of marketing
Or he may be laundering the money, who knows.

People buying such rare lenses would rather share some pictures made with them.
Unless these are bought for India Space Programme or something.

@lookbook
Out of curiosity, how much did you pay?

lookbook

Out of curiosity, how much did you pay?
... it's been quite a while since I bought the lens.
it was around 1000,- € and i still don't know,
whether it was a good deal.
I have never seen a picture with the lens ...

lookbook

How would you mount it?

Is there a plan on how to use it at all?
... I haven't even got that far yet Paul!
I would like to know in advance whether it makes sense.
Hartblei has probably sold a Topar before,
without installing it anywhere, even though they had every opportunity to do so.
That doesn't make me confident that it could be used at all.

Paul Spinnler

Well I looked at this lens also a while back and wondered how to use it … literally how to mount it at all. It seems to me that you need a machinist to build a custom lens board for a bellows type camera or sth like that to use it … it is a bit of a mystery why no one writes about it because the guy has been selling these for years yet there is no review anywhere …

Very curious too although a Contax Planar would most likely also have done the job …

It could be extremely sharp and well corrected or it could just be a bad lens with high CA etc .. when you read the guy’s description it almost sounds like it is this very special extremely sharp optic, but then again no real world proof or samples to be found …

rdeloe

I did a bit of digging (because I'm hopelessly curious). I found all kinds of references to these things, but no pictures. Very strange.

I wondered if it had an aperture, and one dubious eBay ad says it does. Image circle is reputed to be 110mm. Back focal distance of 25,5 mm (again, info from dubious eBay ad).

Depending on how big that frame is in the middle, it could be very simple to mount on an Arca-Swiss outfit with a bit of machining.