The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

chinese back adapters?

abruzzi

has anyone used the cheap Jieying back adapters available on eBay? Do they place the sensor at the same location as the factory ground glass? the options are close to or over $1k for the Linhof official adapter vs $200 for a Jieying. (I bought a jieying adapter some years ago, but that was to cannibalize for parts to build a mini graflock back for the 6x9 linhofs, but I cant get it back together to measure)

An example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/125015949287

I have my doubts becuase the simlar adapters for Arca 6x9 are not explicitly N or non-N which could mean non-N or it could mean they didn't really try or care that they matched the sensor plane to the glass plane..

(even if I end up with a live view capable CMOS back, allowing focusing on the glass opens up some future possibilities.)

anyone

My expectation would be that you pay (besides for the brand) particularly for precision engineering. Curious to hear if anyone has first hand experience.

Will Deleon

I’ve used them before. Other than build quality, I can’t tell the difference between a Chinese copy vs an original. Mind you I’ve only used them on backs with live view on both studio and field tech cameras.

FloatingLens

has anyone used the cheap Jieying back adapters available on eBay? Do they place the sensor at the same location as the factory ground glass? the options are close to or over $1k for the Linhof official adapter vs $200 for a Jieying. (I bought a jieying adapter some years ago, but that was to cannibalize for parts to build a mini graflock back for the 6x9 linhofs, but I cant get it back together to measure)

I have my doubts becuase the simlar adapters for Arca 6x9 are not explicitly N or non-N which could mean non-N or it could mean they didn't really try or care that they matched the sensor plane to the glass plane..

(even if I end up with a live view capable CMOS back, allowing focusing on the glass opens up some future possibilities.)
No, they don‘t. I have the Graflex to C645 Adapter and the focus plane is recessed compared to the factory 4x5 ground glass. Unlike for Hasselblad V, no GG adapter exists for Contax, which makes Live View pretty much necessary and the adapters relatively pointless.

abruzzi

No, they don‘t. I have the Graflex to C645 Adapter and the focus plane is recessed compared to the factory 4x5 ground glass. Unlike for Hasselblad V, no GG adapter exists for Contax, which makes Live View pretty much necessary and the adapters relatively pointless.
Good to know. I didn't expect much.

darr

I bought a Jieying digital adapter plate for use with my Cambo Wide and CFV II 50C, and it does not align with the sensor plane.
My write-up with photos and experience explained are here.

abruzzi

I wonder who made the correctly spaced adapter for your P45?

It also made me wonder--lack of proper registration of the adapter (for a view camera user) could be solved if someone made a ground glass that mounted to a hasselblad-h or m645 mount, but then that would need the correct placement. I'd actually prefer that setup becuase it would be easier to leave the cover on the back all the time for protection.

darr

I wonder who made the correctly spaced adapter for your P45?

It also made me wonder--lack of proper registration of the adapter (for a view camera user) could be solved if someone made a ground glass that mounted to a hasselblad-h or m645 mount, but then that would need the correct placement. I'd actually prefer that setup becuase it would be easier to leave the cover on the back all the time for protection.
Here is the P45 plate I purchased in 2022 from the same seller: