The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Coming Soon! An exclusive interview with Niels Knudsen, known as The Image Quality Professor.

olafphoto

Administrator
Staff member
We just completed an insightful and thought-provoking interview with Niels Knudsen, known as Phase One’s Image Quality Professor. Niels is a digital pioneer whose debut in the digital photography business was more than 25 years ago specializing in digital camera technology and image processing. Niels was the main driver behind the development of the world’s first workflow oriented RAW converter software and image editing software (Capture One) and as well as the legendary Light Phase digital back. He said: “It was with that background of having developed scanners that I joined a start-up company called Phase One. I started working there just two weeks after it was founded, as one of its first employees.”

In short, Niels and his team defined the idea of “image quality” and post processing as we know it today. Not only we go deep into the history of working on a high-quality RAW conversion, but we also discuss with Niels ideas and technologies of today. Among other questions:

• What are the top three contributors to image quality when capturing the image?
  • What is the greatest challenge you face from a software development perspective when working with modern RAW files?
  • To what extent does camera hardware and signal processing influence image quality? What about temperature and heat and similar issues?
  • When they hear “image quality” most people think of pixels, noise or sharpness. What are the key variables from the point of RAW conversion or editing software?
  • Which parameters are the most difficult to tune?
and much, much more.

I am confident that you will find this interview fascinating and informative. This featured interview is coming to the Medium Format Magazine in Winter 2020.