The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Contax 645 or Contax C/Y to GFX 50S ll Lenses

rollsman44

I am trying to decide which way to go with this. I have the GFX 50Sll and want to get a Contax 645 140 2.8 T and maybe spend less and get a wide angle lens for the C/Y to GFX
Any suggestions: I want a portrait lens and the reviews for the Contax 645 140 are excellent reviews. Thanks
I also have the Fotodiox adaptor for Contax C/Y to GFX 50S
The wide angle lens would be for shooting a group of people and some landscape but not much.

anyone

My experience with legacy glass is that as a general rule, normal to tele works well, but wide angle is often problematic. Given that you are considering legacy 35mm C/Y glass on the larger sensor, you are most likely amplifying any problems the glass has on digital bodies. You might want to carefully read what people say about the lenses in digital use.

My own C/Y experience is limited to a Distagon 35mm 2.8 on Canon EF. It was solid but nothing spectacular. Easily outperformed by the Canon EF lenses on that focal length.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
The C/Y 21/2.8 is legendary, but maybe too wide for the GFX. I had a wide prime (28 or 35, can't remember). It was mediocre. The 24-85 was quite good. I took a lot of landscapes with it on the Sony A7II. No idea of its image circle, though.

But a GF 50mm would be a much better match.

Matt

rollsman44

Hi Matt, thank you. I am looking into the CZ 28/2.8 Distagon for the GFX as I already have the adaptor and the CZ 85 1.4 which is stellar.
I agree that the GF 50 is a good choice but I feel I have to try another CZ lens. Thanks Dennis