The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

DIY made Struss Pictoral Lens

arri

I made for the 35mm format a softfocus lens similar to the Carl Struss Pictoral Lens.
A very famous softfocus lens, made in USA in the 1920th. It were available with normal glass lens and with quartz glass as well.
It has only one single glass element and an aperture in front of it.
For using it with a 35mm SLR camera I gave it a helicoid too.
It has 75mm and f/3.2
Quartz glass has a unique kind of image quality, it let pass all light beams between 185nm-2000nm. A B&W film makes the UV light visible down to ~340nm and up to 680nm.
The pictures getting an interessting kind of lightning, I guess it is the UV light makes it possible.

This sample were made with Kentmere 400 film, developed in Wehner Developer, Nikon F801s

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Lovely image!

But now that you mention it, a 0.1mm pinhole camera lets through everything from the pinhole size to gamma rays, or 100,000 nm to 10^-13 nm (highest energy gamma ray ever measured, though once you get under an angstrom, you probably need lead shielding). :unsure:

arri

With a pinhole you have much longer exposure times, not really an alternate.
The transmitted wave lengths are not the only thing, a real softfocus lens gives a different kind of images.
Pinhole photagraphy is nice but nothing more for me.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
With a pinhole you have much longer exposure times, not really an alternate.
The transmitted wave lengths are not the only thing, a real softfocus lens gives a different kind of images.
Pinhole photagraphy is nice but nothing more for me.
Apologies. My entire post was not meant seriously. I had just never thought about the transmission windows of different materials before.