The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

DJI Mavic Pro Shots

stngoldberg

The Mavic Pro is so convenient ... had mine for a week .... just passed the Part 107 FAA Remote PIC exam ....

I do usually video ... an occasional still ...

Here is an example from this week ....

https://vimeo.com/manage/220551853/embed

I usually do not show much of my video and this will go off fairly soon .... but thanks to Quentin and to Woody Campbell who peaked my interest ... used to fly just for the view ...
and this comes pretty close.

Now I need to start unloading a few things ... the Inspire 2 with RAW and Prores looks so good.

Bob
Vimeo won't allow viewing of your post
Stanley

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
OK back to the topic ...

The Mavic Pro is so convenient ... had mine for a week ... just passed the Part 107 FAA Remote PIC exam ....

I usually do video on the drone ... an occasional still ...

The following is an example from the Mavic

https://vimeo.com/220551853

Password is DJI

Better viewed as picture in picture and 2K down as it will appear best ... not 4K so it falls apart full screen.

I usually do not show much of my video and this will disappear fairly soon ... but thanks to Quentin and to Woody Campbell who peaked my interest ... used to fly planes just
for the view ... and this comes pretty close.

Now I need to start unloading a few things ... the Inspire 2 with Raw and Prores looks so good.

Bob

Last edited:

iiiNelson

The 20 MPX camera on the new DJI Phantonm 4 pro plus drone is really good.
Could we set up a catagory for Drone Photography?
Stanley
+1 on a Drone/Aerial Video subcategory or maybe it can be merged with the existing Video Camera forum which sees little action lately.

I wonder if they will put the 1" sensor in the Mavic Pro 2. This is one of the factors delaying a drone purchase for me. It's one of the main real world advantages of the Phantom series. For travel though the size of the Mavic is amazing.

docmoore

I assume that they will but in the long term flying skills and techniques need to be acquired ....

the camera in the Mavic Pro is good .... AF is very stable and you select points on the screen while you fly.

With ND filters and the stability of the system it works well.

I was on the Isle of Skye last year and one of the persons staying in a small B&B was filming with a Phantom 4 ... I had a Leica Q. :ROTFL:

Sad thing is the thing was so loud that neighbors on the peninsula were coming over to complain.

Not so with the Mavic .... I was flying this week and people passing me on a running trail had no idea I had a drone in the area.

It is small enough to throw in a bag and ride my bike to a remote area to fly and photograph.

Super stable ... great software ... DJI was not on my radar 6 months ago ... other than their investment in Hasselblad. Looking at
their drone expertise I am stunned .... no wonder they own the market at this point.

Bob

stngoldberg

No need for neutral density filters with phantom 4 pro, as the camera had adjustable ISO, shutter speed and aperture just like a DSLR.
I'm sure it is more noisey than your Mavric, but for me it always about the PRINT, and with RAW and 20 mpix, I can get a good size print
Stanley

docmoore

I agree that resolution trumps ... most anything ... which is why I may bypass the Phantom 4 Pro and go to the Inspire 2 ...

If I am car traveling to a site the size is a non-issue ... the Mavic will be my remote site solution ... and it does allow for panoramas.

Adjustable ISO shutter and aperture is great for stills but with video one wants to stay at a shutter that is 2x the FPS ... bit of a limitation.

But what fun ... who imagined that we can image anywhere ... within reason ... at high quality with a stabilized platform and camera.

Bob

PeterA

I've just acquired a Mavic Pro - it doesn't like a stiff breeze and the come home button has been getting a severe workout !

docmoore

Pete

I was flying underneath a series of very big electrical towers ... so the compass was off ... no GPS ... man what a workout ...

But if you go into the settings and use the tripod setting ... if wind is not high ... beautiful video.

I imagine that the DJI crew have not spent a lot of time south of the equator ....

Nor do they have a sense of the power of the elements in the southern hemisphere ...

But I must say after destroying so many RC craft on the first launch ... it is worth the effort.

Caution with the home button ... it will fly at altitude and heading that you may not prefer.

Bob

ggibson

I'm really interested in the Mavic and now the Spark, but as mentioned before, I'd really like the 1" Phantom 4 Pro sensor. Seems like quite a large imaging system to fit into a Mavic 2, but the size of these things is shrinking so rapidly.

For those that bought one of these, did you have another (cheap?) drone for learning to fly?

iiiNelson

I'm really interested in the Mavic and now the Spark, but as mentioned before, I'd really like the 1" Phantom 4 Pro sensor. Seems like quite a large imaging system to fit into a Mavic 2, but the size of these things is shrinking so rapidly.

For those that bought one of these, did you have another (cheap?) drone for learning to fly?
Well I do have a little indoor trainer that I personally own. I recommend nano or micro drones to practice with bit regular sized consumer drones are getting more and more automated with "home recall", geofences, and gesture controls.

I did aerial imaging work at times (prior to FAA Part 107 though my actual job was mostly managing the contracts we had) with the company I worked for until a few months ago. We owned some custom 3D Robotics units that were built on Rasberry Pi API's (but as drones matured they became more costly to maintain than purchasing new units), we also had an eBee, and some Phantom 2 with modified sensor packages.

stngoldberg

No prior experience for me..just watched a few videos and nervously let her rip..l'm still far from comfortable after only a few flights..but flying in large open spaces reduces my anxiety
Stanley

Jim DE

Just makes sure you get 7 satellites before you takeoff and pay attention to the lights on the unit and what it is telling you....... also get some sort of cellphone card tracker and attach it to the unit so if the civilian gps resets or a sun spot throws off your gps home reference you have a way to find it. The tracker on the unit from DJI if it crashes and the battery disconnects your tracking system goes inoperable. Redundancy are drones biggest flaws other than civilian gps navigation. If a motor or a sensor takes a dump the 4 bladed drones come down rapidly and at a severe angle making the results pretty ugly.

Go on any drone forum and you can read the horror stories of owners losing their units for unexplained reasons. Most are user errors but many are truly issues with the technology currently being used.... I had a DJI Vision 3 for 3 years and the happiest day was when I sold it and I no longer worried about getting my life savings taken in a liability lawsuit due to a $1500 toy flying off and causing property or personal damage.

Good luck all who have them and be careful to check and recheck the lights and what they are saying......

k-hawinkler

Pajarito Acres, White Rock, NM with Rio Grande canyon as back drop, as seen from a height of 400 feet.

DJI Magic Pro FC220 (26.3 mm f/2.2 Lens) @ ISO 100, FOCAL LENGTH 4.7 mm (26.0 mm in 35mm), APERTURE f/2.2, EXPOSURE TIME 0.00138s (1/724)

k-hawinkler

It was very windy - constantly getting high wind velocity warning.
Oh well, the Mavic Pro seems very robust and delivered images like this one nevertheless.

DJI Magic Pro FC220 (26.3 mm f/2.2 Lens) @ ISO 100, FOCAL LENGTH 4.7 mm (26.0 mm in 35mm), APERTURE f/2.2, EXPOSURE TIME 0.00495s (1/202)

k-hawinkler

Pajarito Ski Area
DJI Mavic Pro FC220 (26.3 mm f/2.2 Lens) @ ISO 107, FOCAL LENGTH 4.7 mm (26.0 mm in 35mm), APERTURE f/2.2, EXPOSURE TIME 0.00833s (1/120)

k-hawinkler

DJI Mavic Pro FC220 (26.3 mm f/2.2 Lens) @ ISO 100, FOCAL LENGTH 4.7 mm (26.0 mm in 35mm), APERTURE f/2.2, EXPOSURE TIME 0.00159s (1/629)