The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Egypt camera advice.

Elderly

I‘ve not done a ‘big‘ trip since before Covid, but early next year I’m off to Egypt.

However I’ve been told that shooting with what they term as a ‘Professional’ camera is frowned upon;
does anybody have any recent experience of personal photography in Egypt?

There was a new decree issued last year: https://www.loc.gov/item/global-leg...ree&text=2720 of 2022, which applies,1, 2 & 3.)

relaxing things, but i am told that its implementation is patchy.
My Olympus EM1 with the rather large 12-100mm has been fine for 90% of my travel images ( which often have people in them somewhere),
but I’m wondering if I should take something like a 1” zoom compact instead and would I be satisfied with its output?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I have a small lens kit that I use for destinations where people may react negatively to "professional" equipment:

- Panasonic 14-42mm
- Panasonic 35-100mm f/4-5.6
- Panasonic 25mm f/1.7
- Zuiko 12mm f/2

The little tele-zoom is tiny and can be warmly recommended, although dual IS won't work with the Olympus. Often, I go through each day using only one lens. These have worked well for me in conflict zones and elsewhere where religion, politics etc. place restrictions on photography.

I travelled around the world once using just one lens, an OM-1 (film) with a 50mm f/1.8. That didn't restrict me at all.

f6cvalkyrie

Ian,

I've no personal experience with travels to Egypt, but I have been in several third world countries ...

Apart from the legal and religious objections to photography you may encounter, there is another danger that you must be aware of : Theft !!!
With "Pro" equipment looking and being expensive, local people may be thinking that you are a very rich visitor, and may be attracted to stealing your gear or other belongings.

So, check the terms of your insurance, and keep an eye on your gear all times ...

Safe travels,
Rafael

Elderly

Rafael - thanks for that reminder.
I don’t want to jinx my next trip, but my wife and I have been to many ‘poor’ countries as independent travellers
(Peru, Ethiopia, Colombia, Myanmar to name a few) and we’ve never felt threatened or had any incidents.
Ironically it’s been in Manhattan and Madrid where pick-pocketing attempts were made!

Insurance: Other than when I was a pro ( I retired 17 years ago ) and had to have insurance for public liability
and the cameras were included, I have always self-insured most things except my house/cars etc.

Jorgen - I think that a smaller ( second hand?) micro 4/3rds 2 zoom outfit may be calling.
I’m not a wide angle lens person, nor primes ……

I will be forever grateful for your suggestion of Mrauk U, and if you’ve been to Egypt
Is there a Mo Cherry equivalent? 😀

Photon42

Last time I was in Egypt was 30+ years ago - timed neatly with the operation desert storm. Situation then was exceptional, obviously. Theben west was practically empty. There is the white desert - best is you google it. Maybe something you like. Then the Sinai with the St Catherine's Monastery, the Siwa oasis with artesian fountains. I also enjoyed Alexandria with its Atarin neighbourhood.

Elderly

Thanks for your response Photon42. We stayed in St. Catherine's Monastery and spent time in the Sinai back in 1973 whilst it was still in Israel's hands,
and left for home just a couple of days before the Yom Kippur war. I was young and stupid enough back then to regret not being there for the war for its photo opportunities.

50 years later I'm much more trepidatious, which is what initiated my question about attitudes to photography in Egypt.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Rafael - thanks for that reminder.
I don’t want to jinx my next trip, but my wife and I have been to many ‘poor’ countries as independent travellers
(Peru, Ethiopia, Colombia, Myanmar to name a few) and we’ve never felt threatened or had any incidents.
Ironically it’s been in Manhattan and Madrid where pick-pocketing attempts were made!

Insurance: Other than when I was a pro ( I retired 17 years ago ) and had to have insurance for public liability
and the cameras were included, I have always self-insured most things except my house/cars etc.

Jorgen - I think that a smaller ( second hand?) micro 4/3rds 2 zoom outfit may be calling.
I’m not a wide angle lens person, nor primes ……

I will be forever grateful for your suggestion of Mrauk U, and if you’ve been to Egypt
Is there a Mo Cherry equivalent? 😀
I agree with you when it comes to risk of theft. Not even in the slums of Manila, in a country well known for its high crime rates, have I felt that my camera gear has been in danger. At the Cotes d'Azur on the other hand. I have unfortunately never been to Egypt. I went to Oman a few years ago and found it very fascinating with lots of great photo opportunities.

Ah... Mrauk U.... I really miss Myanmar.