The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

ELEMENTS Magazine

olafphoto

Administrator
Staff member
HELLO MEDIUM FORMAT MAGAZINE - YOU HAVE A SISTER

We are thrilled to share some great news. We are launching a sister publication 100% devoted to landscape photography. The new magazine, called ELEMENTS Magazine, will focus on artistic, elegant landscape photography and will follow the blueprint of the Medium Format Magazine with one difference - it is not specific to any technical format.

It will have clean, image-centred design, carefully curated photography and engaging, professionally edited editorials. We have already signed up many well-known photographers to work with us including Bruce Barnbaum, Christian Fletcher, Erin Babnik, William Neill, Rachael Talibart, Hans Strand, Ned Pratt, Christian Fletcher and many others. You will find the entire list on the website.

Please share this exciting news with your friends who are passionate about landscape photography.

Of course, the Medium Format Magazine will continue in the current form. In fact, we are currently working on some amazing content, which will find its way to the magazine in 2021!

We just launched our landing page https://www.elementsphotomag.com

Screenshot 2020-12-12 at 2.31.07 PM.jpg

Last edited:

hcubell

Congratulations, Olaf. Hopefully, it will be priced at a level that makes sense to me. In that regard, you may want to look at other epublications like On Landscape, which comes out every other week and is very thoughtful and well done, IMO.

olafphoto

Administrator
Staff member
Congratulations, Olaf. Hopefully, it will be priced at a level that makes sense to me. In that regard, you may want to look at other epublications like On Landscape, which comes out every other week and is very thoughtful and well done, IMO.
Thank you for your kind words. We will be revealing more details in the next two weeks and I am sure you will be pleasantly surprised, pricing included :)

ThdeDude

"It will have clean, image-centred design, carefully curated photography and engaging, professionally edited editorials."

Certainly sounds great. Any chance of a free issue or just a reading sample?

Last edited:

olafphoto

Administrator
Staff member
"It will have clean, image-centred design, carefully curated photography and engaging, professionally edited editorials."

Certainly sounds great. Any chance of a free issue or just a reading sample?
Thank you for your interest in the magazine. The first issue is coming on March 1st. I will share some sample pages here.

ThdeDude

Great, thanks and thanks for your reply.
If I sign up for an annual subscription but for whatever reason want to cancel after the first few issue, what is your cancellation policy? Will I get a refund for the issues not yet received or no refund?

olafphoto

Administrator
Staff member
Great, thanks and thanks for your reply.
If I sign up for an annual subscription but for whatever reason want to cancel after the first few issue, what is your cancellation policy? Will I get a refund for the issues not yet received or no refund?
You will get a refund for the issues not yet received only.

ThdeDude

Olaf,

If I may ask you, why did you title your magazine MEDIUMFORMAT?

Strictly speaking, there are no true medium format cameras in production anymore. PhaseOne and Hasselblad (System H) have sensor size that approximates the 645 format, but Hasselblad's System H is considered to be dead man walking and PhaseOne may be seriously/fatally pressured by 44x33mm offerings from Fujifilm and Hasselblad.

However, Fujifilm and Hasselblad advertise their 44x33mm as (digital) medium format. I presume that this might be the your target audience as to advertisement, product placements, and reader interest.

MN

Ray Harrison

@ThdeDude There's an interview here between Kevin Raber and Olaf - he waxes lyrical on the magazine, among other things. https://photopxl.com/conversation-with-olaf-sztaba/

To me, as a subscriber, the target audience seems to be anyone who enjoys well crafted images created on medium format digital, film and large format photography platforms, regardless of the sensor size or film or manufacturer (or whether they're going to be in or out of business since none of us know :)). So it's pretty inclusive and the articles and interviews are well written too. With the exception of one splash ad from Capture Integration who sponsors this site, there aren't ads or visible product placement. Seems to be a labor of love, with the eye towards it being sustainable. I look forward to reading it each month, with either a triple espresso or a glass of wine/whiskey depending on the time of day I sit down.

My 2 cents (and I realize you asked Olaf :)).

olafphoto

Administrator
Staff member
Olaf,

Strictly speaking, there are no true medium format cameras in production anymore. PhaseOne and Hasselblad (System H) have sensor size that approximates the 645 format, but Hasselblad's System H is considered to be dead man walking and PhaseOne may be seriously/fatally pressured by 44x33mm offerings from Fujifilm and Hasselblad.

However, Fujifilm and Hasselblad advertise their 44x33mm as (digital) medium format. I presume that this might be the your target audience as to advertisement, product placements, and reader interest.

MN
I am well aware of this conversation and I understand your point. Having said that it is commonly understood that any sensor larger than full frame is being considered as medium format.

olafphoto

Administrator
Staff member
@ThdeDude There's an interview here between Kevin Raber and Olaf - he waxes lyrical on the magazine, among other things. https://photopxl.com/conversation-with-olaf-sztaba/

To me, as a subscriber, the target audience seems to be anyone who enjoys well crafted images created on medium format digital, film and large format photography platforms, regardless of the sensor size or film or manufacturer (or whether they're going to be in or out of business since none of us know :)). So it's pretty inclusive and the articles and interviews are well written too. With the exception of one splash ad from Capture Integration who sponsors this site, there aren't ads or visible product placement. Seems to be a labor of love, with the eye towards it being sustainable. I look forward to reading it each month, with either a triple espresso or a glass of wine/whiskey depending on the time of day I sit down.

My 2 cents (and I realize you asked Olaf :)).
Thank you so much for your thoughtful and highly accurate description of the Medium Format Magazine. Indeed, the name may suggest technically focused publication but it is not. We feature the best photography in the world and high-quality editorials. As you pointed out we don't accept ads with an exception of Capture Integration - our official and exclusive partner. Also, please let me note that Capture Integration also supports this forum. Thanks again for your kind note. I will pass it on to our entire team.

docholliday

Olaf,

MN
I started shooting in MF and never really did any small format stuff until the Canon 1D series came about. It was told to me that "medium format" could really be called "middle format" since it encompasses any size larger than 24x36mm and 2x3" (large format). I was also told the easiest (general) delineation with LF was that MF used rolls for continuous shooting whereas LF used sheets and required interaction between shots.

645 used to be considered the hobbyist's size as 6x6 and 6x7 was more popular in the working world. 6x4.5 was actually a fairly young (and "rare") size until recently as wedding/portrait people liked the extra frames per roll. There's also the outliers like 6x17, 6x8, and 6x9, but by far the RB/RZ's 6x7 format was popular with fashion and print since the size matched nicely to a page of print. The square was popular in studios because of the ability to choose a crop at a later time. Most big studios shot 4x5 or other LF at the time but used the 6x6 for speed.

I'd consider 33x44 a true medium format; and, the H and P1 cameras are still very much alive with production shooters. Yes, many portrait and landscape guys use the Fuji or HB mirrorless system, but to those of us in studios all day, the mirrorless stuff is useless, especially in low studio light. Tethering with liveview isn't a solution to a lot of studio work. Mirrorless stuff does make very much sense to landscape people due to the weight savings, but I can't see a serious fashion shooter trying to shoot fast sequences without an OVF. Even when running a DB on my 4x5, I still prefer to set up on a groundglass before attaching the DB. For one, the heat generated by LV over the extended time can cause noise in your final shot and it actually is less painful on the eyes in a dark studio to look at the GG than to be blasted by a screen, even at lowest brightness.

Last edited: