The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Evelyn Hofer: view camera

Thunderhill

Hi,
I'm interested if anyone knows what lenses Evelyn Hofer used for her 4x5 street portraits?

I really enjoy the perspective and framing of her work. As my 'view-camera-eye' is still learning,
I find it tricky to be able to identify the lens/camera to subject distance due to the view camera movements,
rise, tilt and swing. The most I could find online was that she used a 4x5in (10x12cm) Linhof Technika view camera.

Any information will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Stephen

lookbook

... I hope you get better information than my assumptions.

Photos of Evelyn Hofer that I could see did not have extreme perspectives.
I therefore assume that for the 4x5 format she might have used focal lengths mainly between 90- and 210mm.
If you want to emulate her, you might first concentrate on a 150mm lens.

Regards

Uwe

Stuart Richardson

I agree that 150mm is a good starting point, she is slightly on the wider side though...I would not be surprised if she were using a 135 either. It does look like a lot of her images are taken closer to wide open too, as they have more subject isolation than I would typically expect with a full body portrait on 4x5. So my guess would be a 150mm shot at f5.6-f/11, rather than, for example, f22.