The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Favorite budget M-mount lens recs? ie < $500

ian_T

Hi everyone,

I've had a Nikon-Z--Leica-M adapter that's been kicking around for a couple years completely unused; principle reason being I have a few Z cameras and exactly zero M lenses. Obviously, the sensible thing to do is to acquire an M-mount lens rather than sell the z-m adapter. SO, in lieu of dropping serious dollars on a leica lens *(not to say they're not worth it, but my goal is just a fun diversion not serious life-long investment), I'm curious to hear your opinions and recommendations on favorite M-mount lenses of any brand that are budget-friendly, ideally under $500, to help me realize my Neica dream.

I know there's a whole thread on non-leica brand lenses... I'm specifically interested in BUDGET lenses : )

Last edited:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Look at some Voigtlaender glass, these are usually pretty good for a fraction of original Leica glass.

pegelli

If you want real Leica lenses there's not much choice under $500, but there are a few that are below that (2nd hand)

Probably the cheapest are the original (~1960's) Elmar 90/4, Elmar 135/4 or Elmarit 90/2.8. You can find good copies of these from 150 - 300 $

Other ones (a bit more expensive, but still below 500 $) are the Elmar 50/3.5 or 50/2.8.

Any other focal length forget Leica M lenses under 500$ even second hand, then indeed other brands as suggested above are your best bet.

B L

If you want real Leica lenses there's not much choice under $500, but there are a few that are below that (2nd hand)

Probably the cheapest are the original (~1960's) Elmar 90/4, Elmar 135/4 or Elmarit 90/2.8. You can find good copies of these from 150 - 300 $

Other ones (a bit more expensive, but still below 500 $) are the Elmar 50/3.5 or 50/2.8.

Any other focal length forget Leica M lenses under 500$ even second hand, then indeed other brands as suggested above are your best bet.
True, West Yorkshire Camera Shop has tons of those !

iiiNelson

Voigtlander has some 15’s to 50’s in this range. If you go used you can find a few more. There are also the Chinese brands like TTArtisan in this price range as well that may be worth looking at reviews of. In Leica there are a few really old versions floating around in the 1960’s range in age and there are things like the 40 Summicron developed with Minolta worth looking for maybe.

Last edited: