The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Favorite Tethered Studio Camera

2WK

What is your favorite camera for shooting tethered in a studio with C1? For what reasons? Any advantages to canon, Nikon, Sony, Fuji etc?

I need to pull the trigger and am kind of on the fence between the A7r4 and Z72. I have a few older F mount lenses for Nikon, nothing amazing. 50mm 1.4, 35mm 2.0, and some kit lenses etc. I have a few M mount lenses and a bunch of Pentax 645 which I guess I could adapt to either system. But I think a modern kit zoom from either systems would be fine for what I am shooting. Mostly product, lots of clothing. I am lighting with my profoto packs and heads. Kind of looking at the Fuji GFX, but it's a bit out of my price range...I'd like to find a body in the $2-3k range.

I am loving that both cameras tether with usbC and can trickle charge while tethered! So, does the Sony's extra resolution win out? What do you like to shoot in the studio with? I would love to hear from your experience.

Cheers, thanks for reading.

Hasslebad

I tether when I shoot product in the studio with a macro and strobes. I use C1 and a Phase One back. Charging while you are plugged in is the way to go. Things I like: I like to get the shot tuned in. I can check focus areas and check for mistakes much more easily on a big screen. I like that I can set up the white balance, color balance and even the layout to some degree in C1 while shooting so I know I have in the bag.

On a recent shoot where I was the client, the photographer used a Sony A7 tethered to C1. Not sure what exact model of camera. We used that because it was mostly for video but we were getting stills as well from the same setup. The creative director and I had the look agreed upon in advance. C1 showed us what we would be getting. It was a super efficient shoot and we finished early.

I’ve heard good things with Canons and Nikons also. But I don’t have direct experience on those with C1. I’ve tethered Canon using Canon’s tether software for scientific image capture. The software is free and did the job but nothing to write home about.

I should mention I personally like to shoot with a leaf shutter especially with strobes but that’s not completely necessary this day and age. It is convenient and gives more flexibility.

I guess for me I’d go with the camera that works well with C1 on tether. All the brands you mention are plenty capable. If you think you will have clients that want video, make sure your camera can record video. Clients don’t always want to pay for separate video/stills setups.