The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

First try in my home studio (Need some advice)

ndwgolf

Guys Im looking for some advice on placement of my two only modifiers for full body and head and shoulder portraits . For this and all my shots I had the 50cm Beauty dish about 50 cm from my girlfriends face slightly above and pointing down at about 45 degrees. The second light is a 1.5m strip box and that was positioned on the left side (from camera) at about a 45 degree angle again about 50 cm away from my girlfriend. See diagram below
Screenshot-2023-06-17-at-20.56.46.jpgScreenshot-2023-06-17-at-21.11.55.jpg
I really can't go any higher with the beauty dish but left or right and back no problems, the strip light can be moved anywhere. These were shot with my Nikon Z9 and Z85:1.2 at F8 1/250 ISO64 The beauty dish had a power setting of 9.5 and the strip box was at 7.5......... both strobes are Profoto B1 heads gen 1

Thanks

Neil

Hasslebad

That’s pretty good. Depending on the look you want, you could try the main light as you have and have your subject hold a reflector in her lap or by the chest to reflect some of the main light back under the chin.

For more interesting looks, I put the main light (in a softbox) almost at 90 degrees and feather the subject (that is the edge of the softbox closest to the subject be near the side of face so that the light envelopes the face). I will have a reflector on the other side. Both light and reflector need to be close. If I need more distance l, I would put a second light there instead of a reflector at very low power for fill.

For more dramatic lighting, I use a scrim to get more contrasty light and will have a main light 45 degrees and up or to the side.

It really depends on the look you want.

ndwgolf

That’s pretty good. Depending on the look you want, you could try the main light as you have and have your subject hold a reflector in her lap or by the chest to reflect some of the main light back under the chin.

For more interesting looks, I put the main light (in a softbox) almost at 90 degrees and feather the subject (that is the edge of the softbox closest to the subject be near the side of face so that the light envelopes the face). I will have a reflector on the other side. Both light and reflector need to be close. If I need more distance l, I would put a second light there instead of a reflector at very low power for fill.

For more dramatic lighting, I use a scrim to get more contrasty light and will have a main light 45 degrees and up or to the side.

It really depends on the look you want.
Thanks for the feedback.........we plan to try again tomorrow. I will post up the results🙏