The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

For Those With the Actus + fp L back…

Doppler9000

I am considering an Actus or ARCA Universalis. It seemed like Sigma designed the fp L specifically for use as a back for this type of camera. As an owner of three Sigmas (DP1M, DP3M, Quattro), who swore I would not buy another, I am drawn, like a moth to a flame, to the fp L.

Instead of thinking of the fp L as camera with a confusing and frustrating mix of genius and head-scratchers, I wondered if it could be thought of as a 61mp ff digital back with class-leading ergonomics. I see that this was not an original thought, however, so, for those that are using the fp body as a digital back…

How do you like using the camera in this role?

Would you buy it again or go a different way?

How wide an image (sensor mm) can you get with:

Pentax 645A 35mm

Mamiya 55mm. (I have a late P67 55mm, but it is a chunk).

Any random thoughts/pearls of wisdom on the concept and execution?

PS. Anyone use the LVF-11?

Last edited:

scho

I am considering an Actus or ARCA Universalis. It seemed like Sigma designed the fp L specifically for use as a back for this type of camera. As an owner of three Sigmas (DP1M, DP3M, Quattro), who swore I would not buy another, I am drawn, like a moth to a flame, to the fp L.

Instead of thinking of the fp L as camera with a confusing and frustrating mix of genius and head-scratchers, I wondered if it could be thought of as a 61mp ff digital back with class-leading ergonomics. I see that this was not an original thought, however, so, for those that are using the fp body as a digital back…

Pentax 645A 35mm

That was my original intent when I purchased the fp L, but recently I've been using it more with either the Fotodiox Vertex adapter (Mamiya version with 35, 55, 80, and 150 mm lenses) or with TS-E lenses like the Canon 24, 50 and 90. When I do use the fp L on the Actus it is usually with either the Pentax 645A 35 or Cambo Actar 60 mm. I did break down and finally bought the EVF-11 which is perfect for use on a tripod.

Last edited:

Doppler9000

Thanks, Carl.

Are you less happy with the fp L with the Actus, or just finding this is how you are using the gear right now?

In general, are you happy with the Sigma?

I was curious about the giant, dedicated loupe-style viewfinder…

LVF-11

Last edited:

scho

Thanks, Carl.

Are you less happy with the fp L with the Actus, or just finding this is how you are using the gear right now?

In general, are you happy with the Sigma?

I was curious about the giant, dedicated loupe-style viewfinder…

LVF-11
I would never use the EVF handheld , but it works well on a tripod. The fp L as a 60 mp back is fine, but not for general purpose use. I don't use the Actus much anymore because of mobility issues. I'm willing to sacrifice the wealth of movements it offers for ease of getting around with easier, light weight options like a TS-E lens or the Vertex adapter.

KC_2020

Just as a general comment, though somewhat off-topic. There are some significant improvements to the fp L with the new firmware update.

I for one appreciate how well Sigma takes care of updating their cameras.

Last edited:

stevev

I use a fp L with a Cambo Actus G. I have also used a Nikon Z7 and Panasonic S1R as my digital "backs" in the past.

It works well. It may be one of the few use cases where the camera's design compromises don't matter much at all. For landscape and architecture it suits me quite well. The screen does not tilt which is tricky in some setups and the focus peaking lines are a little thick. Battery life is not a strong point. Otherwise the files are fine. DXO PL5 support should be getting close now, too.

I have made a decision to consolidate everything to the Sony A1 system for all my shooting from now on i.e. adding air shows to the landscape and architecture mentioned above.. Once I get the appropriate Sony lens plate from Cambo I may no longer need the fp L. However I can live with its compromises and it is a very compact package, especially when paired with a small Nikkor SW or other compact LF lens. On the other hand having one set of customised camera controls that you can operate automatically and intuitively is important, which the A1 will let me do.

On the other, other hand, I can carry the whole setup in a small bag like the Thinktank Retrospective 5. But if I add a RZ67 lens on the front and a bigger camera on the back then the whole package is quite a bit bulkier, in relative terms. So the fp L does help me carry around a rather svelte piece of highly versatile and capable kit.

The Sigma i lenses make it a portable general purpose camera, but then the design compromises may rear their head again i.e. electronic shutter only, no stabilisation, no grip, battery life, poor continuous AF, no screen tilt etc. etc.

Pentax 645A 35mm

Rob de Loe has commented on a thread here or on DPR about the useable image circle on this lens (which I once owned). I think on a 36mm x 24mm sensor you can shift about 12mm each side (i.e. laterally to the sensor), but I wouldn't go past that. Excellent in the middle though if you don't plan to shift for stitching purposes. I may get another one to use as a 35mm lens that can be tilted and can be used for a small amount of rise or fall at the same time. For that it would be excellent, once you have obtained Cambo's P645 lens plate.

I use a RZ67 50mm ULD lens and it is excellent, Even when shifted 20mm each side it is still very good at the extreme edges. That gives me very large images that are a little over 21,000 pixels wide and not quite that much tall. So I am very happy now in the IQ department.

Lack of sensor cleaning may become an issue over time, especially with the Actus. I think that in combination with some of the "i" lenses from Sigma (20mm, 45mm, 65mm) it could make an excellent and very lightweight kit for landscape photography when hiking. Don't forget to pack an extra few dozen batteries though. And you might need a small tripod.

Tempted, because in strong light the non tilt-able LCD can be a struggle, but I haven't been shooting much lately and so haven't felt the need. Maybe a Hoodman Loupe i.e. optical, but of course you can't tilt it.

Hope that helps.

Doppler9000

Thanks, Steve, super helpful.

The viewer I linked to is the Sigma optical loupe unit.
27485E5E-0507-4558-8A3B-2988F94A20D5.png

No tilting, unless…

Here is a video with some interesting products.

Last edited:

stevev

You’re welcome 😀.

In summary, the way I personally see the fp L, when on the Actus with a small LF lens, is as a compact and minimalist, Apple-esque fusion of form with amazing functionality. I can cope with the battery and LCD issues in exchange for how much I enjoy the total package.

However, when used away from the Actus, and with more stuff bolted on, the fp L rapidly loses appeal, in my opinion.

And as I mentioned, if you therefore want a fp L on an Actus, and another camera body for everything else, then there is additional expense and learning and memorising two different sets of buttons/menus/functions, which is doable, but not ideal.

It is inherently nothing special - just another camera, but for me, the total package (i.e. Nikkor SW 75, Cambo Actus and bare fp L) is much more than the sum of the parts. It’s simple, reliable, functional and dare I say, beautiful.

I will leave you with that slightly more nuanced perspective.