The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FS: Rare Apo Sironar W 150 MC black ring (same as yellow ring) in excellent condition

Paul Spinnler

Hi guys

I'm selling my surplus Apo Sironar W 150 MC in Prontor, which is in excellent condition. This lens is incredibly sharp, comparable to the Sironar S 150, but with a wider IC (image circle). This unique feature makes it ideal for special applications on digital systems, especially those that require significant shift capabilities.

The lens is a true hidden gem, working exceptionally well on the latest sensors, with only minimal signs of use.

Alkiabiades has compared this lens side-by-side with the Sironar-S, and the Apo Sironar W 150 MC performs significantly better in the corners due to its larger image circle.

Personally, I use this lens regularly on the F-metric with an IQ4 150, and I can shift it endlessly without sacrificing much image quality.

The reason I'm selling it is that I own two of these lenses, but I only need one. I'm streamlining my analogue lens collection by removing duplicates.

I believe this lens is one of the best ever made for 4x5 / 5x7 analogue photography, and it offers unique advantages in the digital realm as well. Along with the Sironar S, it represents the latest and greatest analogue lens design from Rodenstock. The smaller IC Sironar S 150 was even re-labeled as the Sinaron Digital 150, demonstrating how well longer focal lengths work with high-resolution digital sensors.

Essentially, this lens is an extended version of the "digital" relabeled 150mm lens, making it perfect for creating large panoramas on a technical camera while maintaining sharpness. If you need a high-quality telephoto lens, this is highly recommended.

On the F-metric, I can shift more than 30mm without reaching the end of the image circle, making this lens a perfect match for an Arca R camera.

In my opinion, it's one of the best, if not the best, 150mm lens for analogue large format photography, and it also offers excellent usability in the digital realm.

If you're interested, I can post some image crops or even shift and post additional crops upon request. Please note that the lens is being sold without an Arca lensboard.

I can ship it from either Switzerland or the EU.

Price: 1199 EUR net to me.

Best regards,
Paul

Attachments

Last edited:

Paul Spinnler

100% crop of a candle focused at 9 feet distance ... f11, sharp as anything, no aberrations to be seen with endless IC. This is an APO lens.

The lens could be mounted on an R and be a fabulous panorama / short tele choice. Like a Sinaron Digital 150 but with a lot more shift ways and better edge performance.

Attachments

Last edited:

Paul Spinnler

Bump. Great for R mount and Arca setups. Super sharp, colour cast free.

Its practically like the legendary Sironar-S (Digital) 150 but with huge IC!

A PANO monster.

Paul Spinnler

Drop 999 USD net + shipping

This is a rare black ring Sironar W – it has an IC covering 5x7 and hence a "sweet centre" spot which is huge and will cover any digital landscape photography need.

Needless to say – this lens is amazing for 4x5!

Easily mountable on an Arca R

Last edited:

Paul Spinnler

No difference except ring colour. This is the same lens, same quality, same excellent optics. I think the yellow ring was introduced when the red ring was introduced and this lens was actually more expensive than the Sironar-S variant as it was made for photographers wanting a max IC to use it on 4x5 AND 5x7. It is also more substantial in the hand and has a bigger front element. Compared to the Sironar-S variant - which is considered by many the best 4x5 standard lens - I saw better edge performance between raw samples shot on a bellows cam (centred w/o shift and shifted on a digital back).

That's why this is a no brainer for stitching and LF photography in general.

I personally find the all black design looks awesome.

Last edited: