The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

dave.gt

Much as enjoy trawling through the very few scans I bothered to make of the thousands of negatives I have thrown out ( good or bad decision who knows?) and much as I love the look of film and much as newer processing tech can bring back life to decades old processing ....and as much as I am romantically drawn to buying a Pentax 6x7 and a couple of wonderful Pentax lenses (for the look) - I doubt I would have the time and inclination to do more than shoot maybe 50 rolls before I got totally fed up with the reality that (for me) I prefer the (relatively) instant gratification of digital - not to mention the lower cost and hassle and time....

makes me sad in some ways...

edit: I guess that is why that when post a pic of these old shots (scanned) I dont care about showing the 'errors' in development which made these previously throw aways..and now fond memories...I love them and their 'impefections'.
No need to be sad…🙂 it’s all in your how you look at it. Personally, I prefer the craft of film images as opposed to the instant gratification. I shoot far more film these days because I am totally immersed in film photography but short of the purist with a darkroom.

Again, for me, the image itself is not the holy grail, it is the process. The craft, and the art. For someone like me to be able to create film images is a big deal. 😂… it’s like magic in a way. It is also my therapy which is quite timely after having been broken by Life. I am working hard to return to film photography but sadly it will be some months before I am able to do that. I can’t wait.

I guess everyone is different, so there is no argument to be made and hopefully no one will blind-side me as the age-old boring arguments should remain buried.

This is just my own personal journey in life… but then I only play a Martin guitar, shoot most cameras that don’t even use batteries, and countless other simplistic things in life that are no longer mainstream. And I am very happy with that. 😃

PeterA

No need to be sad…🙂 it’s all in your how you look at it. Personally, I prefer the craft of film images as opposed to the instant gratification. I shoot far more film these days because I am totally immersed in film photography but short of the purist with a darkroom.

Again, for me, the image itself is not the holy grail, it is the process. The craft, and the art. For someone like me to be able to create film images is a big deal. 😂… it’s like magic in a way. It is also my therapy which is quite timely after having been broken by Life. I am working hard to return to film photography but sadly it will be some months before I am able to do that. I can’t wait.

I guess everyone is different, so there is no argument to be made and hopefully no one will blind-side me as the age-old boring arguments should remain buried.

This is just my own personal journey in life… but then I only play a Martin guitar, shoot most cameras that don’t even use batteries, and countless other simplistic things in life that are no longer mainstream. And I am very happy with that. 😃
For me nostalgia is a mix of sad and happy. KUdos and all strength to you in pursuing what makes you happy and looking forward to seeing the results! Who knows I might get that Pentax or maybe not - all 'first world' issues - we are all to lesser or greater extent blessed to have these choices.

P. Chong

I agree. The process is as important as the result. Gotta suffer for your art. 😆 That’s why I shoot large format. And every once in a while, the process yields a result I am proud of. And all is well.

Nokton48

400s 70mm Supergrain Blad 100 Planar 1 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Test roll (31 exposures) fresh 70mm Rollei 400s, processed in Rollei Supergrain. JOBO 120/220 reel modified to 70mm width by me, JOBO Multitank 2 Agitated by hand. Film shot last spring, then life came along................... Hasselblad A70 mag, 100mm Zeiss T* Darkroom print Omega DII Omegalite head Aristo #2 RC Ultra Multigrain Dev

hasselblad 503cw

24-02-154890.jpg

Hasselblad 503CW CF50MM FLE F4 @ F16 Rollei Infrared film
focused without IR175 filter, then screw filter, remember the focus point on the ring, then turn focus ring make the focus point to the orange dot on the lens DOF indicator.
I found it still not focused. anyone can share your experience. how focus using infrared film.

Best wishes

Though it could be scanning problem, so scan again, get much more sharp image as below

24-02-164892.jpg

24-02-164909.jpg

24-02-164906.jpg
same location same setting one shot with KODAK EKTAR 100, one Rollei Infrared, interesting is I remember I didn't refocus with Infra dot on the lens, I forgot or I didn't realise I can do.

23-12-064896.jpg

24-02-164893.jpg

Last edited: