The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Leica M Monochrom

pegelli

I went to Antwerp last sunday to photograph the architecture of the Zaha Hadid harbourhouse, but meanwhile a biker meeting showed up on the square in front. Nice people but the noise when they showed each other the "quality" of their bikes was very, very loud. I think they were just as proud of their bikes as we are about our cameras and lenses. Fortunately ours is generally pretty silent equipment.

Both M246M + 7Artisans 50/1.1

Godfrey

I went to San Francisco on the day of the Pride parade this year. As has been my custom, interrupted by a couple of years of pandemic, I arrived early and walked Market Street from Civic Center to 2nd and back. I stopped and talked to vendors, to people getting ready to watch the Pride parade ... and I watched, I looked. I sometimes made a photograph.

Most everyone was wandering to their destinations, friends at their sides, coffee and snacks in their hands. Eager to see the parade begin, bright and chipper, looking towards the enjoyment of the morning. Police and security people were doing their things.

And then this street person—wrapped in a U-Haul blanket, unbathed, just awakened—strode awkwardly down the street looking for...?... Everyone gave him a wide berth. He was confused, he was tired, he was hungry. He looked from face to face, blurrily, hoping for...?... something, and continued to walk on.

There was something proud, and sad, in his walk. He was not old; in another time and place he might have been another handsome guy in his thirties. He held to a dignity in his plight, in his exhaustion and search for succor: it was as if he had been dropped into this place from afar, from another time, and could not relate to sights and sounds which pummeled his senses.

Passing MK - San Francisco 2022
Leica M10 Monochrom + Summilux 35mm f/1.4
ISO 160 @ f/8 @ 1/60
Orange filter

I saw him again later as I walked the other direction. I'd bought a small sandwich and a bottle of water. He had withdrawn and collapsed into a doorway, now almost invisible to the passing parade goers, spent and sleeping on the hard sidewalk. I left the food and water by his side, and hoped it was was still there when he woke. I was no longer hungry.

I watched the parade begin with cheers and applause bursting all around me, waved at some of the motorcyclists as they passed, then headed home on the train.

He stays in my memories of that morning even now. And I ask myself: Is what I perceived real? Or just another illusion of my own cosmic consciousness?

G

pegelli

Nice story Godfrey, one just hopes that this never happens to yourself, or one of your friends and family members. Going down is easy, crawling back out damn hard.

A view over Antwerp and the river Schelde from the MAS (Museum Aan de Stroom)

M246M + M-Summaron 35/2.8

pegelli

A foggy cowscape

Leica M246M + M-Elmar 90/4 (LTM)

After all the very hot and dry weeks I was so happy seeing fog outside this morning that I couldn't resist to grab my bicycle and try to catch the special atmosphere that fog always brings

PeterA

Isn't the Q2M just like an M-camera with autofocus, no rangefinder and a non-exchangebla lens? :cool:

The balcony in the Antwerp central railway station
Greta shots Pegelli - you are making great use out of the camera.
Yes the Leica Q2M is more limited than any M - I bought it because it was small and light and used the same batteries as my SL2 - how scientific is that decision making process eh? :p